Author Topic: Readers--what would you like to see?  (Read 8686 times)

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
Readers--what would you like to see?
« on: September 29, 2006, 08:11:31 PM »
I was thinking about genres and stuff again, and I was wondering what everyone...readers, writers, etc...would like to see in the next wave of SFF?

What I would like to see:

- Cyberpunk (and SFF in general) updated for the 2000s.  Technology has advanced, but many books are still retreading the old ideas, when logically you need to update them.  We *have* our techno-jargon now, and we'll probably be using the terms well into the future.  After all, a wagon 100 years ago was still called a wagon.  And it's called a wagon now.  And it'll probably be called a wagon in the future, unless some dramatic shift in the language occurs.  We have ipods, a world-wide internet, online libraries, and more, but no flying cars.  How would a cyberpunk story work in *our* near future, as opposed to the 70's or 80's near future?

- Magepunk .  Maybe there's some of this out there that I'm missing, but I really enjoyed the book The Iron Dragon's Daughter.  And things similar to that.  I consider The Golden Compass and the rest to be pretty magepunky.

- The Next American Hero (tm).  Stuff has gotten so gritty and flawed lately that there is a scarcity of Superman-type (ethically, that is) heros in stories.  People who do good just because they are good people.  Harry Dresden is actually the closest I've seen lately, and he has a fallen angel in his head.  Michael is pretty dead on, but we're not following his story...he's not the main focus.

So there's some of what I want to see.  I'm sure there's other stuff I want to see too, but that's a start.
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
Re: Readers--what would you like to see?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 08:38:26 PM »
I think we need good Sci-Fi.  Fantasy seems to be the in thing right now.  Right now the market is flooded with urban and high fantasy.  I would like a good space adventure that doesn't get too caught up in the details.  I don't want to real a physics textbook.  I want to read a story. :)

We also need a new superhero.  Someone with a good strong moral background.  Most of the modern superheros are given an edge/are antiheros.  As much as I enjoy a good antihero, it would be good to have something different out there.  Though you have to be careful not to fall in the Drizzt trap of having a strong moral background and not dealing with the consquences of having one (example, Drizzt fights his way out of dealing with the consquences of most of decisions or having to make the decision in the first place). 

Offline fjeastman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 09:03:22 PM »
I think we're entering an era where the Doc Savage is going to make a bit of a comeback.  Things are getting dark in reality and have been there long enough that something brighter might be popular.

I don't know if cyberpunk will ever make a come-back.  It was birthed in a different era where different ideas about technology were able to flourish.   It's hard to decide what's going to be called what in the future... the best of sci-fi and cyberpunk DROVE technology ... it looked forward and groped for terms for things we didn't have and those things became real through that. 

EDIT:  As for fantasy, I, myself, would be moving away from the angsty political melodrama and into the action/adventure serial, again.  But that's me.  That's what I like to read, that's what I do read ... and that's what I don't see on the shelves anymore.  Everybody seems to be doing these multicharacter political epics focused on loss and unrequited desires.

Too often I'm saying:  "There he is, you've got him ... he killed your grandfather, he pillaged your home town, he kicked your puppy.  Now we get to the stabbing!" and instead we get:  "Oh, but my shock at seeing him here, at my mercy, overwhelmed me ... and he slipped away during my moment of agonized indecision and killed my girlfriend and ate one of her pet kittens!  Let me contemplate my agony at that for another chapter."

If/when I write a fantasy novel ... there'll be righteous vengeance and some swinging from ropes over chasms and probably an evil god or three that needs to be taught a lesson.  Some explosions, probably a girl that the hero eventually gets, and some stalwart companions.

Where'd all the stalwart companions get off to anymore, eh?

--fje
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 09:10:48 PM by fjeastman »

Offline Tersa

• Participant
  • J'aime le beau vampire <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 02:55:18 AM »
I just want to see a strong female main character that is strong with out being, pardon the language, a bitch.  It feels like everything I read that has a female lead character, if written recently, she's just a snarky bitch saying, "Yeah, I can do everything boys do and do it in heels, so HA!  And why am I doing it, you ask? Well, aside from the fact you don't need to know, it's just to show the boys up and show I can, wooohooooo!!"

...Okay, so that last part is a bit of a stretch, but it still drives me nuts.  I don't want female characters to be on the damsel in distress part of the spectrum either, but I would like to see a woman that actually has some sort of grace.  She can still smackdown-foo the bad guys, but it would be cool to see her also be able to do stuff through clever negotiation and manipulation a la Queen Elizabeth I of England, too. 
My avatar hosted by the folks at www.flickr.com.  This link is included so their TOS guys don't hunt me down. O_O

Though the French under my avi is probably incorrect, please don't hurt me...

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 03:47:19 PM »
Well, you'll be happy with a novel I'm working on, then. ;) The protagonist happens to be female, because that's how the character came to me (partially inspired by Amy Acker, who is not the epitome of bitchidom), but I'm not out to prove anything with her.

Some of the side characters are bitchy, but they're counterbalanced by one hell of an ass in the form of a lead male. (Think cross between Denis Leary & Craig Bierko.)

We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Lord Arioch

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 04:23:27 PM »
C'mon Everybody!
A.
SS.
HO.
LE.

btw, nice sig, Mickey :D

Offline terroja

• Participant
  • Psycho Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 08:39:09 AM »
I'd like to see more books that don't fit into any genre.
A man feared that he might find an assassin;
Another that he might find a victim.
One was more wise than the other.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 04:43:03 PM »
I'm late getting in on this one, but Tersa?  A-frickin'-men!

I'm so heartily sick and tired of the tough-as-nails bitchqueen character whose only flaw might be "too independent for her own good".  My biggest piece of fanfic was written around the notion of a character who's female, a witch, not that powerful, sometimes clueless, but still not a wimp or a crybaby. I like the character enough that I want to use her in non-fanfic stories.

What ever happened to the idea that you don't HAVE to be uberpowered to be an interesting character?  It's one of Harry's saving graces.  Yes, he's powerful, but he's always in the big kids' sandbox, getting his ass handed to him.  Harry's strength isn't in his power, it's in his refusal to give up, in his ability to always stand up again and get right back in there.   

We need more Harrys, and fewer Anitas.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline smoorman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 05:32:55 PM »
I want to agree with Kali and Tersa. I get tired of the super-bitches, who can do everything as well as anyone and yadda yadda yadda. What I would really like to see, and have never found, is a strong, secure woman who perfectly capable of taking care of herself, but who is also willing to pull her shirt tight and look pathetic to get guys to do what she wants.What I keep finding are either ballbreakers or dishrags, and they get old.

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 08:28:05 PM »
Yeah, I hear that.  There's a couple of authors whom I shall not mention (must not burn bridges) whose heroines drive me insane.  It's like, enough already.  I was actually reading some of them when I wrote my shaman novel, and suddenly, she got really aggressive.  I had to go back and prove she could still kick ass and have a funny, likeable personality.
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 07:42:13 AM »
Oh hey, meant to ask this since we're talking about alternate genres.  Has anyone heard of any books that are mysteries set in a high fantasy world?  And I don't mean like about a wily assassin or mercenary.  Maybe like someone who freelances like Harry or is part of some law enforcement equivalent (royal guard?) and continually finds themselves unraveling small, intricate things that aren't necessarily about some great evil overlord overtaking the kingdom?

Not sure if I'm explaining this right.  It makes sense in my head. :)
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com

Offline becroberts

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 08:18:01 AM »
Oh hey, meant to ask this since we're talking about alternate genres.  Has anyone heard of any books that are mysteries set in a high fantasy world?

I haven't read any, which is why I'm writing some.  :D

My main character is a police detective in a fantasy world where forensic mages are sent out to cover crime scenes and a man is just as likely to have died from a gunshot wound as being swiped by a dragon's claws. (Yes, my dragons are actual dragons. No human forms allowed.)

Actually, come to think of it, there's one Mercedes Lackey book that might fit your description. 'Four and Twenty Blackbirds', if I recall correctly. A police constable investigates a series of murders that are being carried out by magic.

Offline Athanasia

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 11:53:07 AM »
Oh hey, meant to ask this since we're talking about alternate genres.  Has anyone heard of any books that are mysteries set in a high fantasy world?  And I don't mean like about a wily assassin or mercenary.  Maybe like someone who freelances like Harry or is part of some law enforcement equivalent (royal guard?) and continually finds themselves unraveling small, intricate things that aren't necessarily about some great evil overlord overtaking the kingdom?

Not sure if I'm explaining this right.  It makes sense in my head. :)

I'm not sure what "high fantasy" is, so maybe my answer won't fit. I recall a series of about 3 books by Randall Garett, dating back to the 70's/80's. It is set on an alternate Earth with a medieval feel, where magic developed instead of science. Lord Darcy investigates on various mysteries and murders.

Imagine an investigation where magic would be used for forensics... :) I keep good memories of these readings.

--Too Many Magicians, Doubleday, New York, 1966.
--Murder and Magic, Ace, New York, 1979.
--Lord Darcy Investigates, Ace, 1981.
--Lord Darcy (3-in-1), Doubleday, Garden City, New York.

I found the above on the net.

Athanasia

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 01:10:00 PM »
A fantastic blend of high fantasy, police procedural, and horror ('cause some of her crimes are graphic and all of 'em are brutal) is the trilogy by Tamara Siler Jones.  Ghosts in the Snow is the first, Threads of Malice is the second, and Valley of the Soul is the third. Valley is due out at the end of October.

The central conceit is that the main character, Dubric Byerly, has been cursed for misdeeds in his past with the ability to see ghosts.   The ghosts of the murdered, to be exact, and they continue to haunt him until he catches their murderer.  As head of security at the castle, his domain includes pretty much the entire dukedom and the various books take him all over.  You'll get very attached to his assistants (my personal favorite, Dien... rough-and-rowdy, swearing, head-bashing but somehow still a gentle soul and a perfect gentleman).  Magic is an accepted part of the world, but subtle.  No spell-caster, our hero.  He does most of his work through rudimentary forensics with just a dash of magic to give him a nudge from time to time.

My god, this woman can write.  Ghosts was addictive in all the best ways.  This was a book I taunted myself with.  I would only let myself read it at lunch, after class, when I had my drink. 

When Threads came out, I couldn't do it.  I gulped it down in chunks.  This book was more grim than the first, a little darker (believe it or not), a little more on the horror side.

If you can handle horrific scenes that are not gratuitous but rather are treated with a sense of accuracy, that are there to further the plot and not simply to shock, you must must MUST read these books.  Awesomeness in print form.

In the interests of full disclosure, I have to admit that after a raving fan-girl letter I sent to Ms. Jones, I did get ARCs of Threads and Valley.  Yes, I've read the third book and it's good I tell you, good!  No, you can't have it.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline becroberts

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 03:01:32 PM »
A fantastic blend of high fantasy, police procedural, and horror ('cause some of her crimes are graphic and all of 'em are brutal) is the trilogy by Tamara Siler Jones.  Ghosts in the Snow is the first, Threads of Malice is the second, and Valley of the Soul is the third. Valley is due out at the end of October.

These sound like the sort of books my mother and I would both love! *notes down titles and prepares to go hunting*