Author Topic: What will the rpg be like physically?  (Read 20149 times)

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
Re: What will the rpg be like physically?
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 07:37:59 PM »
I'll be buying it first, and then looking for someone to play with second. ;D But owning the book is a definite must.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline TechnoLurker™

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 08:32:47 PM »
The 320-page Black Company campaign setting from Green Ronin costs $45, comparable speaking.

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 10:23:03 PM »
Be honest, who is going to (besides me) buy the book with no intention of playing, but just to read it and look at the pretty pictures?

Oh, I always intend to play... ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline Vulcanisik

• Conversationalist
  • Everything burns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 03:52:24 AM »
Yeah, same here. But I'm a total noob when it comes to tabletop rpg games. Never played a single D&D game in my entire life. I wish I could find some Dresden friendly folk in my area of southern california.
Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair.

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
Yeah, same here. But I'm a total noob when it comes to tabletop rpg games. Never played a single D&D game in my entire life. I wish I could find some Dresden friendly folk in my area of southern california.

I think your best bet will be this website.  Once the game is released, there will probably be lots of gamers looking to meet up with one another.  In the meantime, how's the roleplaying scene in general where you live?  You will likely find D&D gamers easily enough, if that's what you're into.  If your tastes run more toward horror, seek out the White Wolf types.  Alternatively, there are great gaming message boards all over the Internet.

Good luck!
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2008, 01:13:01 PM »
I had this problem when my old gaming group got lives and became scattered across the country. I also found it difficult to look for local gaming groups due to young children. I've been gaming online using a "Virtual Tabletop" (VTT) called Fantasy Grounds. It simulates the tabletop gathering quite nicely (it even has dice to throw). Gaming by typed chat is slower than across the gaming table, but it does tend to make for a better story and roleplaying (written media vs spoken). Some people use Skype or Ventrilo to game, using the VTT to keep the records and share maps etc. There are a number of these on the market (others are Klooge, Battlegrounds RPG, Maptool, GRIP). Have a look around at the forums and see if any of these appeals.

I'm currently running a WitchCraft game using Fantasy Grounds on Sunday evenings at 8pm UK time if you're interested. I'm anxiously waiting for the Dresden RPG to be published. I liked the Spirit of the Century rules and really need to do a ruleset (basically a character sheet, NPC sheet, combat tracker, etc.) so I can use this in Fantasy Grounds for Pulp games.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:28:12 PM by Valarian »
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline Vulcanisik

• Conversationalist
  • Everything burns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2008, 07:32:45 PM »
Well, when this game gets released we DEFINITELY need to set up a few online games with forum goers, I think it would be a lot of fun.
Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair.

Offline DrygonDM

• Posty McPostington
  • Random Encounter #13
    • View Profile
    • The Dragon's Den
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2008, 02:25:14 PM »
Be honest, who is going to (besides me) buy the book with no intention of playing, but just to read it and look at the pretty pictures?

*Raises Hand*
Although I intend to find a group for playing it in my area, before or after - I will still get it.
Respect must be earned.

If, in the Land of the Blind, the One Eyed Man is King - imagine the power of anyone that can clearly see !!!

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2008, 05:18:41 PM »
Well, when this game gets released we DEFINITELY need to set up a few online games with forum goers, I think it would be a lot of fun.

Yeah, White Wolf has a Java-based chat room (or several of them, I think) for online play. Why not us? :: Grins::

Offline Vulcanisik

• Conversationalist
  • Everything burns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2008, 02:58:35 AM »
Yeah, White Wolf has a Java-based chat room (or several of them, I think) for online play. Why not us? :: Grins::

Totally. I'll even go through the task of organizing the darn thing.

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2008, 05:36:44 AM »

Ooh, count me in!!

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2008, 05:16:06 PM »

You, as the kids say today, da man!  :)

Offline hkjakkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2008, 07:24:39 PM »
I definitely plan to buy it....I have been waiting for it since I have heard about
it...As usual I have all my fingers crossed and my toes that I will have money
in my Butcher Budget....Once I have the book/game? I have never play a RPG or an online game.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2008, 08:46:06 PM »
Once I have the book/game? I have never play a RPG or an online game.
It's going to be big, and hopefully not too intimidating. The FATE system runs pretty smoothly, and is definitely "free style" enough where you can customize and make it your own campaign.

If you've never played an RPG before, you might want to give it a try before the "real thing" comes out. You can download FATE 3 (which isn't quite the same as the RPG, but similar in many ways) for free, or could buy Spirit of the Century (same author and similar mechanics) just to see how it plays.

Another game that gets a lot of Dresden-love is Unisystem, which can be found in the form of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG. Similar ideas, lots of TV source material to draw from, and a lot of fun to play.

There are other RPGs out on the market, many as free downloads. I think if you try some of them first you'll find that it's easier to figure out how to play DFRPG. Also, RPGs are a great hobby. I've gotten my wife and kids playing, and it makes for great family togetherness.....
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2008, 10:08:35 AM »
The 320-page Black Company campaign setting from Green Ronin costs $45, comparable speaking.

Off-Topic:
How is it?
Didnt know there is an Campaing Setting for the Black Company...