Author Topic: What will the rpg be like physically?  (Read 20395 times)

MatthewD44

Re: What will the rpg be like physically?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 10:03:53 PM »
Hey everyone one if my AD&D books from the 80's are rock solid also.. I just wish some of my other books were in that good of shape

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 02:10:49 PM »
This may jump the gun a little, since final decisions about book format are still a little in the air, but I wanted to share my experience with SotC.

Fred offered a paperback or hardback option and I chose the hardback one. Best decision I could have made. SotC is pretty thick for its size and I think it would have taken a beating in paperback.

Dresden seems the same way. It's full-size rather than digest-size, but at a page count of 400+ I'd say potential buyers should really consider the hardback.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline DharkMojo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 09:31:51 PM »
Any chance Digital Compies might be made available either in advance or down the line?

Monte Cook put out his massive Ptolus Campaign setting in PDF chunks prior to printing... I purchsed both Digital and Paper copies and use/used both extensively (the digitals make for great travel reading/prepping, which comes in extremely handy as I travel quite a bit... relying on the internet to keep my gaming going). Each PDF was tailor watermarked to the buyer (through Drivethrurpg.com I think it was) to hamper piracy.

Just a thought/wish!    ;D

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 10:12:07 PM »
The product will definitely include digital versions in the release.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 05:41:28 PM »
The product will definitely include digital versions in the release.

Do you figure that you'll offer a pdf + dead tree bundle at some sort of discount? I tend not to bother with pdfs except when I get them at little cost so that I can skim them until the dead tree version arrives. It's what I did with DLYM (which was awesome, by the way).

Offline Gathers Scrolls

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 03:09:57 AM »
A leather-bound edition sounds cool, but I think the company'd probably have to stick with regular hardcover.
. . . I'm not sure if this is covered elsewhere, but what kind of dice'll be required; or is it going to be like a larp, with rock-paper-scissors? ;)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 03:54:42 PM »
Just peruse Evil Hat's catalog at IPR and you'll get an idea of what our perspective is on Print+PDF bundling. I think you'll be pleased. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 07:26:35 PM »
A leather-bound edition sounds cool, but I think the company'd probably have to stick with regular hardcover.
. . . I'm not sure if this is covered elsewhere, but what kind of dice'll be required; or is it going to be like a larp, with rock-paper-scissors? ;)

The game will use Evil Hat's FATE rules, which are in turn based on FUDGE.  I'm certainly not an expert, but I'd say they were light tabletop rules.  The dice are d6 with two '+' faces, two '-' faces. and two blank faces.  They're called "FUDGE dice"; you can order them from a variety of places online.  You can also just use regular d6 if you read them as d3 and subtract two.  Oh, and each player needs four dice.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 07:42:08 PM »
You can also use the "Starblazer Method" and roll d6-d6. Gives a +5 to -5 range with more of a swing to it, but it doesn't break the game to do so.
Fred Hicks

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 11:43:14 AM »
You can also use the "Starblazer Method" and roll d6-d6. Gives a +5 to -5 range with more of a swing to it, but it doesn't break the game to do so.

Interesting!  Will Dresden Files have a default method, or offer different options?
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 01:11:15 PM »
Honestly? I don't remember. We'll at least forum-suggest other options if we don't get them in the text. But there've been a lot of revisions, and many of them are in my head. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2008, 04:00:15 PM »
Honestly? I don't remember. We'll at least forum-suggest other options if we don't get them in the text. But there've been a lot of revisions, and many of them are in my head. :)

Ah, you creative types.  Just can't stop tinkering, can you?  :)

Offline Vulcanisik

• Conversationalist
  • Everything burns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 05:21:09 AM »
Be honest, who is going to (besides me) buy the book with no intention of playing, but just to read it and look at the pretty pictures?
Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair.

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 06:05:57 AM »
Be honest, who is going to (besides me) buy the book with no intention of playing, but just to read it and look at the pretty pictures?

:: Raises hand::

Offline rgm0005

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 06:52:30 AM »
I probably will as well, though only because there isn't a group to play with in my area.