Author Topic: Rudy up on charges?  (Read 5140 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Rudy up on charges?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2023, 11:06:17 AM »
And with his background in SI, he knows exactly the sorts of fabrications that the Powers That Be like to see in those reports.  He'll become their favorite consultant...

That sounds about right, not only that but since Justine was able to be Nem infected, there is no reason Rudolph cannot be.  In fact may have been all along which won't be so easy for Harry to explain. 

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2023, 04:45:07 PM »
That sounds about right, not only that but since Justine was able to be Nem infected, there is no reason Rudolph cannot be.  In fact may have been all along which won't be so easy for Harry to explain.

Yes there is,  no self-respecting extra-universal supernatural organism could stomach infecting Rudolph, besides why bother, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2023, 05:04:58 PM »
Yes there is,  no self-respecting extra-universal supernatural organism could stomach infecting Rudolph, besides why bother, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Or take full advantage of it.. Think about it, taking Murphy out to get to Harry is a very clever plan.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2023, 06:04:51 PM »
Or take full advantage of it.. Think about it, taking Murphy out to get to Harry is a very clever plan.

Which does not sound like Rudy at all, this was set up as far back as Rudy shooting at Mister years before because of his poor trigger (and bowel) discipline.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2023, 03:23:54 AM »
Which does not sound like Rudy at all

I don't think Rudy was the one making the plan. I think Rudy was the instrument in someone else's plan.

The passage seemed a lot like something was jamming Harry's ability to raise a shield, and possibly putting Rudy under some sort of suggestion, compulsion, or altered perceptions.

Though I'd lean more towards Fallen, or possibly Cowl, as more probable than Nemesis.  It understands humans better than most Outsiders, but killing Karrin to manipulate Harry into going all blood rage on Rudy is pretty deep to credit it with.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2023, 04:44:49 AM »
First, I'd like to know what Rudolph said after the event.  Was Rudolph saying something like, "It's not my fault, I didn't meant to shoot Murphy." or was Rudolph in so much physical pain that he didn't say anything that anyone could make out. 

The second thing is consider how afraid Rudolph must be of Dresden after being nearly crushed to death by Harry's magic.  I know that Rudolph has incredible powers of denial, but he has good reason to believe to Harry would kill him if he tries to weasel his way out of this one.  All Harry would probably need to do to get Rudolph to change a plea from Not Guilty to Guilty is simply show up at a Court Hearing and stare Rudy down.

That said, I have no clue what Jim wants to do with Rudolph.  I could see it going from the extreme of Rudy having a redemption arc to the creep picking up one of the Blackened Denarius coins.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2023, 12:25:47 PM »
I don't think Rudy was the one making the plan. I think Rudy was the instrument in someone else's plan.

The passage seemed a lot like something was jamming Harry's ability to raise a shield, and possibly putting Rudy under some sort of suggestion, compulsion, or altered perceptions.

Though I'd lean more towards Fallen, or possibly Cowl, as more probable than Nemesis.  It understands humans better than most Outsiders, but killing Karrin to manipulate Harry into going all blood rage on Rudy is pretty deep to credit it with.

Harry was saved by two Knights of the Cross, if it was an outside agency manipulating Rudy, it was one of the Fallen, not necessarily a Denarian, but maybe Lucifer, someone who wanted a Destroyer Harry, and who took advantage of the situation. That means someone powerful enough to lock onto Rudy and Harry through all the magic flying around and ‘nudge’ Rudy into firing at Karen, perhaps just obscuring she had killed a giant and ‘nudge’ Harry into killing Rudy in that fashion. I don’t think a Denarian has the power to do that due to their constraints but a Fallen Archangel might. It is the subtle type game Uriel plays, and his countermove was Sanya and Butters.

This makes me think Zoo Day and Day One overlapping were not a coincidence, Harry needed to be at the Zoo to deal with the aspiring Warlock and not kill him, and Mouse to take on Ash, and Maggie to free the kids.Otherwise Harry may have been drawn into the Baku, preventing all three victories so Uriel sent Butters out to prevent that. Archangels play really subtle games.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2023, 02:42:29 PM »
I don’t think a Denarian has the power to do that due to their constraints but a Fallen Archangel might.

A Denarian fully has that capability.   Look at how Lash manipulated  Harry in Dead Beat, even when he was aware of her, she had him  ready to jump out the window.  No chance that Rudolph  is seeing past any of their illusions.
That being said,  I don't think this was the case.  I don't see anyone possessing Rudy, mind games from the outside, probably.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2023, 04:30:40 PM »
Lash’s shadow was inside Harry’s head, he had picked up a coin and that left him vulnerable. No such situation here.

No self-respecting entity would wear Rudy.

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2023, 05:19:05 PM »
Toot and Lacuna may have still been nearby, but I don't think you'd want either of them on the witness stand.
I would LOVE to see Toot on the witness stand... so would you...

Harry (or whoever is calling them as a witness) wouldn't... :)
Rudolph will be cashiered from CPD, so will set himself up as a PI investigating “so-called” supernatural events and debunking them.

The Douchebag Files.
;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 05:32:55 PM by Melriken »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2023, 05:33:38 PM »
Toot unexpectedly does throw up pearls of wisdom and clarity of view look how he took Sanya to task for wrongly classifying him.

The first hurdle is swearing on the Bible, Toot is a creature of faerie and not the White God, so it is likely he would have to swear on a copy of the Pizza S’Press menu.

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2023, 05:36:47 PM »
Toot unexpectedly does throw up pearls of wisdom and clarity of view look how he took Sanya to task for wrongly classifying him.

The first hurdle is swearing on the Bible, Toot is a creature of faerie and not the White God, so it is likely he would have to swear on a copy of the Pizza S’Press menu.
Toot wouldn't understand swearing to tell the truth...

Fae can't lie, but Toot can't even understand lying.

Offline CrusherJen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2023, 11:33:49 PM »
I'm not sure it could go to a jury trial. With Murphy's body missing, there's no physical evidence remaining to link Rudolph to the crime. No proof of her death, no forensic autopsy, no ballistics, nothing but one person's uncorroborated testimony. (If I remember correctly, Butters and Sanya showed up after the shot was fired, so they couldn't testify they saw Rudolph fire his gun.) With the power out, any nearby security cameras wouldn't be functional, unless they had a battery backup... but that assumes they didn't get blown out again by the magic unleashed in the battle against the giant.

And Harry was already under investigation for the robbery at Marcone's vault, by Rudolph. The defense attorney would have a field day discrediting Harry with that information.

As much as I'd like to see Rudolph up on murder charges, I don't see any realistic way for it to happen. (Though I love the image of Toot on the witness stand... 😆) The karma bus is bound to catch up with him somehow, but I don't think it will happen through the mortal justice system.
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."   --from Blood Rites

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2023, 05:42:02 PM »
Rudolph is internal affairs someone was pulling strings to get him on that case, but it wouldn’t bear long-term scrutiny it was part of the pressure tactics on Harry and other key figures prior to the Titans arrival- I suspect Nameless, as a lawyer for the Mob he has the knowledge , but couldn’t use Marcone’s connections, too close to home.

Rudy is far more likely to face IA himself for his actions at the daycare, those were cops kids, and Bradley and the day care supervisor were witnesses.

Offline CrusherJen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2023, 07:53:25 PM »
Rudolph is internal affairs someone was pulling strings to get him on that case, but it wouldn’t bear long-term scrutiny it was part of the pressure tactics on Harry and other key figures prior to the Titans arrival- I suspect Nameless, as a lawyer for the Mob he has the knowledge , but couldn’t use Marcone’s connections, too close to home.

Rudy is far more likely to face IA himself for his actions at the daycare, those were cops kids, and Bradley and the day care supervisor were witnesses.

Good catch! That could definitely happen... and it should.  ;D
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."   --from Blood Rites