Author Topic: Can one of the Fallen become infected by Nemesis? And if so...?  (Read 2786 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Can one of the Fallen become infected by Nemesis? And if so...?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2023, 06:32:15 PM »
That Nic is referring to TWG in that scene?

FACT.

Here are all the relevant quotes I could find in a quick search, page numbers taken from the Hard back Edition, it starts around chapter 40.

Page 330
page 348
page 346
I mean, I guess Harry could have read the reference wrong and jumped to a wrong conclusion and Nic just played along with it...

But there is nothing there to suggest he was talking about HHW-Beside over Harry's interpretation of TWG.

Sorry, but ... you just demonstrated that it was only your opinion, not a "fact:"
  But there is nothing there to suggest he was talking about HHW-Beside over Harry's interpretation of TWG.
Equally, there is nothing to counter the equally-valid understanding of Outsiders being the "Enemy" Nic was mentioning.  Your opinion is that everyone was talking about TWG... but there's a strong case to be made that that wasn't true, that Nic's "Enemy" was the Outsider-threat, which seems to be the looming Apocalypse of the series.

Harry is wrong a lot.

And Jim seems very happy to regularly channel Obi-wan's "... from a certain point of view" rhetoric.

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2023, 07:01:50 PM »
Sorry, but ... you just demonstrated that it was only your opinion, not a "fact:"
It is my opinion, Harry’s opinion, Hades’ opinion, and Nic reacted emotionally to it as a father to the truth, and realized that Harry was a father because of it…

The word Enemy referring to TWG is as close to a fact as anything in the books.  You can take any fact in the books and create a theory that states that that fact is wrong and everyone is mistaken about it... and one of those theories may even be right (for example everyone thinks Ghosts are Echos and not souls, everyone could be wrong (and Harry WAS a soul in GS and everyone thought he was a ghost)) but those theories can't be used to support other theories, they don't provide support.  They might be true despite their lack of support, but until they are supported they don't provide support.

Regardless Nic took the coin with him so we are talking about Diedre’s safety not the safety of the fallen so it doesn’t speak to this theory either way.

Edit: Sorry Mods.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 08:07:09 PM by Melriken »

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2023, 07:23:05 PM »
Numbers 22:31 actually specifies nothing about the appearance of the angel:  "Then the Lord opened Balaam’s eyes, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the road with his sword drawn. So he bowed low and fell facedown."  Between the terror of the donkey and Balaam himself "falling facedown," I think this speaks to an inherently-frightening appearance, not even slightly normal or human.
We know that he was standing (legs and feet) and had a sword drawn (arms and hands) and that the author didn’t feel the need to specify anything else about him (generally human and normal height etc)

But I think we are generally in agreement… just wanted to explain why I referenced passages like that.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2023, 08:01:43 PM »
it is my opinion, Harry’s opinion, Hades’ opinion, and Nic reacted emotionally to it as a father to the truth, and realized that Harry was a father because of it…

Hades only spoke to the fact that he would be responsible for enacting whatever punishment Deirdre faced; he didn't address anything relevant to whatever "enemy" Nic was mentioning, whom Deidre would be "safe" from.

Similarly, Nic was reacting to having his nose rubbed in the fact that he'd condemned his own daughter to an eternity of punishment by Hades.  The fact that Harry was presuming the alternative was the biblical "hell" doesn't mean that Harry was right, nor even that Nic believed Harry was right...

What's Nic gonna do, with Harry's words about his daughter's fate fresh in his mind?  Go, "Ha-Ha, that wasn't the fate or the Enemy I meant!  Checkmate, you damn bleeding-heart!" ???

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2023, 02:29:46 AM »
What's Nic gonna do, with Harry's words about his daughter's fate fresh in his mind?  Go, "Ha-Ha, that wasn't the fate or the Enemy I meant!  Checkmate, you damn bleeding-heart!" ???
As I said, even if you were right you would be wrong.

Nic took the coin and left the human soul of Diedre in Hades.  The entire conversation is about the human portion not the fallen.  The human portion is vulnerable to nimfection. Everyone agrees. The soul is not vulnerable to nimfection, in hell or hades underworld… your argument can’t support itself.  If he was talking about nemesis the comment is meaningless because the dead don’t worry about nimfection… and the human part would be vulnerable regardless and the fallen portion isn’t part of Nic’s comment…

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2023, 10:49:01 PM »

FACT.

Here are all the relevant quotes I could find in a quick search, page numbers taken from the Hard back Edition, it starts around chapter 40.

Page 330page 348page 346
I mean, I guess Harry could have read the reference wrong and jumped to a wrong conclusion and Nic just played along with it...

FACT.
Just to be clear - facts are statements of nigh-indisputable truth. I am not sure that applies here. Mostly people say fact when what they really mean is collective opinion on a topic. Neither I would say apply here, to be honest.

And while I agree it is most likely the White God that Nicodemus is referring to, it isn't fact YET. That would require some exposition like Nicodemus saying to Dresden "The Enemy I fight against is The Almighty himself" or something along those lines, or Jim saying in an interview that the Enemy that Nic was referring to was TWG. But we don't have either of those. We just have speculation - which is deliberate on Jim's part (otherwise he wouldn't have used the label "The Enemy" and just said whoever Nic's great enemy is).

He could mean Lucifer, or an Outsider/Old One, or some other being we don't know of. The point is, the identity of Nic's "Enemy" is up for debate still and will be until we get further evidence.

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2023, 08:17:40 PM »
Just to be clear - facts are statements of nigh-indisputable truth. I am not sure that applies here. Mostly people say fact when what they really mean is collective opinion on a topic. Neither I would say apply here, to be honest.

And while I agree it is most likely the White God that Nicodemus is referring to, it isn't fact YET. That would require some exposition like Nicodemus saying to Dresden "The Enemy I fight against is The Almighty himself" or something along those lines, or Jim saying in an interview that the Enemy that Nic was referring to was TWG. But we don't have either of those. We just have speculation - which is deliberate on Jim's part (otherwise he wouldn't have used the label "The Enemy" and just said whoever Nic's great enemy is).

He could mean Lucifer, or an Outsider/Old One, or some other being we don't know of. The point is, the identity of Nic's "Enemy" is up for debate still and will be until we get further evidence.
I will give you that he could be referring to Lucifer.  I should clarify... when I said fact it was with two stipulations. First that the options were Fact or Opinion. Within that dichotomy it is more accurate to say Fact. Second the fact is that Enemy isn't a reference to Nemesis rather than that enemy is a reference to TWG.

If the discussion were about Enemy meaning Lucifer or TWG I wouldn't have claimed it was a fact.

If the question wasn't asked (Fact or Opinion) I wouldn't have claimed it was a fact.

I probably shouldn't have claimed it was a fact, or at least not claimed it as hard as I did.  I should have said it was more a fact than an opinion.

Enemy isn't a name for Nemesis. Adversary is. And that line can't be read as a reference to Nemesis even if Enemy was a name of Nemesis because the coin isn't left, the fallen isn't left, and dead mortals don't fear Nemesis...

I find it unlikely that Enemy refers to Lucifer, I find it impossible that it refers to nemesis.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2023, 08:42:14 PM »
As I said, even if you were right you would be wrong.

Nic took the coin and left the human soul of Diedre in Hades.  The entire conversation is about the human portion not the fallen.  The human portion is vulnerable to nimfection. Everyone agrees. The soul is not vulnerable to nimfection, in hell or hades underworld… your argument can’t support itself.  If he was talking about nemesis the comment is meaningless because the dead don’t worry about nimfection… and the human part would be vulnerable regardless and the fallen portion isn’t part of Nic’s comment…

What if Deirdre was nemfected?  Still resisting, not giving in; but with a 2nd spiritual tempter/coercer in her head, trying to make her betray Creation and her father and all that?

It was a masterstroke by Nicodemus -- he removes a potent Nemfection from the ranks of the Fallen, and from Creation itself (so the Fallen can advance their own plans, which the Outsider plans would ruin); he saves his daughter from the Nemesis within her; and he gets a new Denarius that hasn't been in-play for a thousand years!

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2023, 09:49:18 PM »
What if Deirdre was nemfected?  Still resisting, not giving in; but with a 2nd spiritual tempter/coercer in her head, trying to make her betray Creation and her father and all that?

It was a masterstroke by Nicodemus -- he removes a potent Nemfection from the ranks of the Fallen, and from Creation itself (so the Fallen can advance their own plans, which the Outsider plans would ruin); he saves his daughter from the Nemesis within her; and he gets a new Denarius that hasn't been in-play for a thousand years!
lol

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2023, 03:50:59 AM »

This is an interesting idea, but why would Dierdre have agreed to it?  If she was nemfected she would have to be resisting that infection to agree to be murdered to be freed from it, which is a rather extreme cure in any case.  I think I would rather be put in one of Mab's ice cubes and hope I didn't freeze to death.

My problem with this being the case is we have no reason to suggest that Dierdre had as much ability to resist being taken over than Lea or Cat Sith.  Lea just held herself together long enough to get Mab's help and Nemesis pretty much crushed Cat Sith's efforts to remain himself.  It's not an impossible idea, it just seems a bit far fetched to me.

Now as far as whether Nicodemus was referring to TWG or Nemesis I have a question or two.  Why would Diedre need protection from the Nemesis once she's dead?  She can't be nemfected any longer, so why would her spirit care?  Unless Nicodemus meant that Hades would be safe even if Nemesis and the Outsiders won and took over.  That seems an odd thought, but I suppose it's possible.  Then again, if that was the case, wouldn't all afterlife realms be safe?  Dierdre wouldn't be any less safe from the Nemesis if she was in Hell.  For those reasons, I tend to lean towards the idea that Nic was referring to TWG.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2023, 07:50:56 AM »
This is an interesting idea, but why would Dierdre have agreed to it?  If she was nemfected she would have to be resisting that infection to agree to be murdered to be freed from it, which is a rather extreme cure in any case.  I think I would rather be put in one of Mab's ice cubes and hope I didn't freeze to death.

My problem with this being the case is we have no reason to suggest that Dierdre had as much ability to resist being taken over than Lea or Cat Sith.  Lea just held herself together long enough to get Mab's help and Nemesis pretty much crushed Cat Sith's efforts to remain himself.  It's not an impossible idea, it just seems a bit far fetched to me.
To be fair though, Lea and Sith are Fae. And as Harry amply shows, when it comes to wilful denial of reality (and temptation) humans can beat anyone. They don't always, but they can.