Author Topic: Master of the Future? The Fugitive...  (Read 6069 times)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Master of the Future? The Fugitive...
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2023, 04:31:30 PM »
Would Cowl know that Mouse could banish the Nemean Lion?  Maybe, but maybe not.  The necromancer would have had to gather some solid intel on Harry to learn that Mouse is a Foo Dog.

Not that difficult to put together that the dog Harry has after knocking over Cowl's Foo dog puppynapping operation is one of them.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2023, 10:17:57 PM »
Naw, Cowl is too short.

Could likely take care of that with a projection/illusion, but Cowl seems to be feeling Harry out at first - a real Harry should have known.

Unless Shadow-Harry took after his mom's side, which seems considerably shorter than Malcolm. Eb is short, Malcolm was very tall.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2023, 11:16:37 PM »
Could likely take care of that with a projection/illusion, but Cowl seems to be feeling Harry out at first - a real Harry should have known.

Unless Shadow-Harry took after his mom's side, which seems considerably shorter than Malcolm. Eb is short, Malcolm was very tall.

Harry is Harry, Shadow-Harry is still Harry..

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2023, 12:31:02 PM »
I think Master the future was just a reference as in future plans

I agree, or a title he has given himself because Cowl thinks he will be the Master of the Future. This is why I think that Cowl is being set up as one of Harry's major foes in the BAT.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2023, 04:22:54 AM »
Harry is Harry, Shadow-Harry is still Harry..

But does Alt-Harry have to be exactly? Same parents, but one Harry takes after mom, one after Dad, sort of like brothers

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2023, 04:45:25 AM »
We are to understand the alt Harry of Mirror, Mirror split from Dresden Prime in Grave Peril, choosing Susan over Michael instead of trying to save both.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2023, 06:24:50 AM »
We are to understand the alt Harry of Mirror, Mirror split from Dresden Prime in Grave Peril, choosing Susan over Michael instead of trying to save both.
That's too early in the book; WoJ says Harry's crucial Choice comes near the end.
I think there are two likely Choices --
#1, as he emerges from the basement to Bianca's villain-monologue ambush, and calls half-turned Susan to her side.  She offers to let Harry walk, and Bianca will keep Susan.  Harry could have done that, saved Justine & himself, Susan was already lost to him (there being no known way back from half-Ramp).
#2, at the very end, where he has tracked Susan to a beach.  She tells him she's going away, and he... just lets her walk. He could have argued much harder, likely convinced her to stay.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2023, 10:44:21 AM »
#1, as he emerges from the basement to Bianca's villain-monologue ambush, and calls half-turned Susan to her side.  She offers to let Harry walk, and Bianca will keep Susan.  Harry could have done that, saved Justine & himself, Susan was already lost to him (there being no known way back from half-Ramp).
#2, at the very end, where he has tracked Susan to a beach.  She tells him she's going away, and he... just lets her walk. He could have argued much harder, likely convinced her to stay.

Neither choice would have changed things as far as Susan goes, she was lost to him in either case. If he had made the first choice, little Maggie might never have been born.

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2023, 11:23:44 PM »
I get the feeling the Cowl is Harry--Mirror Harry. He's got a magical duster (his Cloak and cowl) and a dog--Mouse's shadow. Feels kinda obvious to me for whatever reason.
Dead Beat - Chapter 8: "Just as well," Cowl murmured. "I have wanted to see for myself what has the Wardens so nervous about you."

Kills all the Alternate Harry (including time travel) theories.

Cowl is NOT Harry, Cowl has access to Warden reports or Warden gossip (Peabody could have provided this, but the nature of the statement feels more personal than relayed by Peabody could account for), Cowl is NOT a Warden. Cowl isn't worried about going up against someone who makes Wardens nervous. Based on the fact that Cowl is in Chicago when the Sr Council is regrouping and hiding after the council got hit hard repeatedly and almost wiped out... Cowl was not on the Sr Council durring Dead Beat (or he would have been missed)... The most likely candidates for Cowl are the people mentioned when Eb takes his seat on the Sr Council or Cristos.

The above quote also kills Justin theories and similar people from Harry's past.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2023, 12:21:12 AM »
Cowl is NOT Harry, Cowl has access to Warden reports or Warden gossip (Peabody could have provided this, but the nature of the statement feels more personal than relayed by Peabody could account for), Cowl is NOT a Warden. Cowl isn't worried about going up against someone who makes Wardens nervous. Based on the fact that Cowl is in Chicago when the Sr Council is regrouping and hiding after the council got hit hard repeatedly and almost wiped out... Cowl was not on the Sr Council durring Dead Beat (or he would have been missed)... The most likely candidates for Cowl are the people mentioned when Eb takes his seat on the Sr Council or Cristos.

Cowl could have a spy in the Council.. Or Cowl is actually a member of the Council and assumes such a low profile talent wise and so benign appearing in his day to day activities that he goes unnoticed, but he notices everything.  The Council isn't a bag of the brightest pennies when it comes to this, powerful wizards like Mort and Elaine can pass through life more or less unnoticed if they choose to be unnoticed.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2023, 01:39:19 AM »
Dead Beat - Chapter 8: "Just as well," Cowl murmured. "I have wanted to see for myself what has the Wardens so nervous about you."

Kills all the Alternate Harry (including time travel) theories.

The above quote also kills Justin theories and similar people from Harry's past.

I don't think that quote kills everyone from his past. Someone might have been out of touch with Harry, and wondering if he missed something. Maybe some wizards are late bloomers, and develop power later.

Athletes do. In baseball, in 1988 they held an amateur draft, and one future Hall of Fame player was picked. Mike Piazza.

He was drafted #1390. They took 1389 other guys ahead of the best player in that year's draft. Late bloomer. Can magic have them?

Maybe Cowl knew Harry young, and wondered how different the man is from the boy.  Remember, Justin last saw him at 16. Cowl sees a 30-something. Can be a difference. (I think Justin is dead, just an example of a past contact)

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2023, 03:39:57 AM »
I don't think that quote kills everyone from his past. Someone might have been out of touch with Harry, and wondering if he missed something. Maybe some wizards are late bloomers, and develop power later.
I agree, it doesn't kill everyone from his past, just people who knew him well while he had magic like Justin or Elane or Eb... really just those character from the ones we know.  All of those know Harry is strong and wouldn't be interested in facing him in combat just to see how strong...

Harry wasn't a late bloomer and as far as we know Justin didn't show him off to anyone, so there shouldn't be anyone else from his past, though Morgan was watching him before Malcom died and Justin got him, so someone else may have been at that point too and they wouldn't know how strong he is...

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2023, 04:13:05 AM »
Would Cowl know that Mouse could banish the Nemean Lion?  Maybe, but maybe not.  The necromancer would have had to gather some solid intel on Harry to learn that Mouse is a Foo Dog.  Perhaps he did, but we don't know with certainty

Cowl's working with Mouse's Shadow, he's going to know about Mouse and his capabilities. It's obvious that Cowl recognized him.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2023, 02:17:22 PM »
Master of the Future, it’s quite clear that Ash is aware of Cowl’s ambitions, and that is to be God, not merely a God.

I have posited that the date of creation of the White God has yet to occur, but it will be due to the sheer weight of humanitys belief willing him into existence around a foci, maybe Uriel, maybe Lucifer, maybe an Outsider,  but maybe both Cowl and Drakul think they have a shot at it. Once created God is not bound by linear time and will exist at all points and at all times in the multiverse as the pre-eminent power.

Cowl has outlined his plan to become god to his dog.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2023, 03:05:26 PM »
Cowl has outlined his plan to become god to his dog.
Report to moderator   Logged

Most of us are already gods to our dogs... ::)  In the case of cats, they think they are god.. :o