Author Topic: Why didn’t Harry just tell Eb Thomas is also his Grandson?  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Why didn’t Harry just tell Eb Thomas is also his Grandson?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 07:05:22 AM »
We know Thomas knows his Mother.  Unlike Harry he has living memories of Maggie Sr.  Does Thomas know who his Grandfather is?  That’s a different question.

When i said he knew who his mother was, I do not mean he only knew which woman in the Court was his mother. I mean he knew she was Margaret Le Fay, AKA Margaret McCoy, daughter of Ebenezar.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2023, 07:14:19 AM »
That is established fact from the text.

I think it is safe to assume that the White Court consider monogamy to be a tropical hardwood. We know Whamps are largely infertile and so spread it around, so during the period Raith was with Margaret he likely had hundreds if not thousands of sexual partners any of whom could have been Thomas mother. It may have been been a 1000 to 1 chance or greater that Thomas Mother was Margaret.

From the sound of it, she must have been favored, if not a wife, to get to invite her father to dinner with Raith. That's not a hookup. So if she is a person of status, affiliated with Raith, SHE is not likely to be sleeping around. So they know who is the baby daddy. Raith did, Lara did...  Margaret is taken, and the court will know it. If the White king's Consort is pregnant - I'd imagine the WC knows, or they have REALLY bad intel.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2023, 07:21:16 AM »
I'm fairly sure that Thomas knew that Eb was his grandfather as of Changes. Harry explains the Bloodline curse to him in detail and I think it comes up. Would have to check the book to be certain though.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2023, 09:37:40 AM »
Mira,

But then again in Changes, the bloodline curse, Thomas had to know, he isn't stupid.

The bloodline curse affecting Thomas is explained by its activating via Maggie, to Harry, to Thomas.  It barely occured to
Harry that Eb was among the targets until after everything had blown over.  We simply don’t know if Harry said something to Thomas (Harry was avoiding Thomas please recall) or if Thomas figured it out for himself.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2023, 09:39:37 AM »
I'm fairly sure that Thomas knew that Eb was his grandfather as of Changes. Harry explains the Bloodline curse to him in detail and I think it comes up. Would have to check the book to be certain though.

Just re read Changes a couple of weeks ago.  Harry never mentions Eb in the discussion of the Bloodline curse.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2023, 11:47:29 AM »
Just re read Changes a couple of weeks ago.  Harry never mentions Eb in the discussion of the Bloodline curse.

Perhaps not directly, but he talks about Eb having dinner with his mother, Lord Raith, and Arrianna being present.. This is while Margaret was at the very least hanging out with Lord Raith.  This is how the connection is figured out.  Changes, the bloodline curse was all about planned revenge against Eb for knocking that satellite out of the sky that took out a lot of Red Court members, not Harry.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 02:41:17 PM by Mira »

Offline apgrey

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2023, 04:36:18 PM »
  We don't know for sure if Harry ever told Thomas that Ebenezar is their grandfather.  If it happened, it was off page.
  Harry did not tell Ebenezar that Thomas is his grandson until they were having their big fight.  This is after having a couple of years where he could have done so.
  Harry also did not tell Ebenezar about Bonea.  Note that the number of people who know that Bonea exists is very small.
  So, Harry continues to have serious trust issues with many of the people in his life.

APG

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2023, 05:10:13 PM »
  We don't know for sure if Harry ever told Thomas that Ebenezar is their grandfather.  If it happened, it was off page.
  Harry did not tell Ebenezar that Thomas is his grandson until they were having their big fight.  This is after having a couple of years where he could have done so.
  Harry also did not tell Ebenezar about Bonea.  Note that the number of people who know that Bonea exists is very small.
  So, Harry continues to have serious trust issues with many of the people in his life.

APG

All that is true, it is obvious given, Eb's attitude towards vampires shaped Harry's thinking about whether or not to tell Eb.  Then again, we never really see on page Harry and Thomas talking about it.  In lots of ways it wasn't Harry's secret to reveal, it belonged to Thomas.  Another thing, beyond the reveal in Blood Rites and the soul gaze where Margaret speaks to both her children, Thomas and Harry never speak about her.  True, Thomas was a young boy when she left, but he should have some memories.. Maybe Lara will reveal some things to Harry as well..  We know she is the one who took care of young Thomas, but she would have also known a lot about who at the time was in fact her step mother.  Odd don't you think?  It isn't just Harry who doesn't ask questions.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 03:47:06 AM by Mira »

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2023, 06:16:46 PM »
  Perhaps not directly, but he talks about Eb having dinner with his mother, Lord Raith, and Arrianna being present.. This is while Margaret was at the very least hanging out with Lord Raith.  This is how the connection is figured out.  Changes, the bloodline curse was all about planned revenge against Eb for knocking that satellite out of the sky that took out a lot of Red Court members, not Harry.

That was Eb talking to Harry privately after Thomas had evacuated with Molly.

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2023, 02:29:23 AM »
What's frustrating about this topic is that even if Harry has a conversation with Thomas while he is in Demonreach, I doubt it they would talk about Ebenezer.  They could, but it seems unlikely to me.  So, it might only come up two books after Twelve Months; skipping Mirror Mirror, if it comes up then.

I reread the scene where Harry explains the blood curse to Thomas.  Harry didn't mention the curse running from victim to parent and grandparent, so Thomas wouldn't have been clued-in from that conversation.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 03:48:44 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2023, 03:36:25 AM »
Thomas might also have known Eb was Margaret's father the same way Ariana did:  by seeing them together.
He could have peeked in on a "grown up event" ... likely would have, if he heard his mom arguing with a strange man...

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2023, 03:48:28 AM »
Thomas might also have known Eb was Margaret's father the same way Ariana did:  by seeing them together.
He could have peeked in on a "grown up event" ... likely would have, if he heard his mom arguing with a strange man...

Exactly

Offline Tinfoil hat

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2023, 08:20:30 PM »
Exactly
Thomas most likely knew. But EB hatred for Whampires is probably common knowledge.
But to me understanding Eb's reaction to Thomas comes down to this. Imagine harry finding out that Maggie jnr is dating a Ghoul. Then imagine his response. The ghoul and its entire species and the planet will burn

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2023, 12:44:39 AM »
Not much difference between a teenage boy and a ghoul, except one smells less awful.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2023, 12:10:09 PM »
Not much difference between a teenage boy and a ghoul, except one smells less awful.

Well, sometimes..... ::)