Author Topic: Does Marcone have Little Chicago?  (Read 4369 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Does Marcone have Little Chicago?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2022, 09:29:10 PM »
Water would have washed away the magic yes, but it the physical structure exists the rebuilding is much les s of a major work. Bob remembers the spell work and the fix, so updating the physical and renewing the spells would work.

It would mean Namshiel wouldn’t have able to examine the spells Harry used. Hmmmmm.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2022, 02:46:20 AM »
There is a WOJ on this.  It's gone.  Water would have washed away the magic.
Well, that's that then!
Jim wants it gone.

In any case as of Battleground there is at least one and possibly 2 other versions in the books.
Damn, I clearly need to re-read BG.  This is like, the 3rd-4th reference someone made, that made me go "whaaa...?"

Can you go further into this element, since I clearly was Not Paying Attention In Class?

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2022, 03:29:13 AM »
There is a WOJ on this.  It's gone.  Water would have washed away the magic. In any case as of Battleground there is at least one and possibly 2 other versions in the books.

Drop a ceiling beam on it too. Squish it good. House likely collapsed

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2022, 07:15:29 AM »
Drop a ceiling beam on it too. Squish it good. House likely collapsed

Doubt that would have done it.

Harry lived in a little basement.  Most of the boarding-house would have collapsed, with very little falling into the (relatively small) hole in the ground that Harry lived in.

The lab was an even-smaller hole, underneath the living-space.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2022, 11:30:11 AM »
Doubt that would have done it.

Harry lived in a little basement.  Most of the boarding-house would have collapsed, with very little falling into the (relatively small) hole in the ground that Harry lived in.

The lab was an even-smaller hole, underneath the living-space.

Perhaps, but unless it was sealed water tight, the basement would of flooded from the hundreds of gallons of water the fire department would have poured on the burning building above it.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2022, 05:55:54 PM »
Perhaps, but unless it was sealed water tight, the basement would of flooded from the hundreds of gallons of water the fire department would have poured on the burning building above it.

I mean... Jim could have written it so that Harry had put O-rings sealing the trap door & used a marine varathane to waterproof it (had he wanted to).  Hands could have been waved, explanations made.

I think your prior analysis is right, Mira -- Jim felt "done" with LC; its loss was one of the changes in Changes.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2022, 06:46:34 PM »
I mean... Jim could have written it so that Harry had put O-rings sealing the trap door & used a marine varathane to waterproof it (had he wanted to).  Hands could have been waved, explanations made.

I think your prior analysis is right, Mira -- Jim felt "done" with LC; its loss was one of the changes in Changes.

Yes, I think Jim was done with it.  The problem with what Harry could have done to make it water proof as you suggested, is it make no sense that he would do it in the first place. His lab was in the basement of a basement apartment, unless it was prone to flooding, which is possible, but never mentioned in any of the books, so why go to all the effort to waterproof the hatch? I also doubt that Harry could foresee that the building would be attacked and set on fire.  He did put up wards and perhaps thought that was enough.  It wouldn't be the first time he has overlooked details when it comes to fire.  The reason why he has a maimed hand is while his bracelet shield stopped the fire, it didn't stop the intense heat... Harry admits later that he did screw up and takes care of that little mistake when he constructs his next bracelet.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2022, 07:01:52 PM »
Well, that's that then!
Jim wants it gone.
Damn, I clearly need to re-read BG.  This is like, the 3rd-4th reference someone made, that made me go "whaaa...?"

Can you go further into this element, since I clearly was Not Paying Attention In Class?
Odin's map in Battleground causes Harry to comment that somebody must be spending a lot of time in Chicago, referring, I surmise, to the effort it took to keep LC current. The map has a lot of the same functionality.
“A tactical map,” I noted. “Of my town.” Vadderung glanced up at me with his one eye and then back down. “What of it?”

Butcher, Jim. Battle Ground (Dresden Files) (p. 54). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Search on this.

In Small Favor when Mab shows Harry Marcone's kidnapping in a snow scene. Contrast Gard's reaction with the reaction of Cowl in White Knight when he senses Harry watching.  The passages could be twins, therefore I speculate that Mab has access to something very similar to LC, only better. Also remember the first use and how Harry sees himself when using LC.

YMMV

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2022, 10:36:28 PM »
Mab can do what she did previously, in Small Favour? On a smaller scale, create a detailed 3D snow map of the entire city BUT I suspect she can only do it whilst snowing and snow is settling everywhere. The snow on the buildings creates the map not the buildings It’s another reason to attack her on the Summer Solstice when she is weakest. That would mean she would have had the technical capacity to fix LC.

Odin definitely is keeping an eye on Chicago, too much is going on there for him not to. He probably has for far longer than we realise and his ability as Kringle to by-pass thresholds also makes him a candidate for fixing LC. His map is indicative of the technical capacity required to fix LC.

LC needed to be gone for BG in the same way it couldn’t be relevant for Changes, Harry needs to be in the middle of both battles. One set away from Chicago, the other not, so LC had to gone by BG, think how much easier Harry would have had it, in luring Ethnui to the lake shore. It won’t be relevant for Mirror Mirror (unless Mirror Harry has built it as well). We know by The Law Harry has rebuilt all of his other tools, and is re-equipping his lab, so LC2 might be next, especially to increase his defences. We might see the re- building process in part and much interrupted in Next Book together with upgrades. Integrating his mothers gem into it would for example allow him to monitor the way points in Chicago which LC never did. Bob was already part of the set-up, but now Bob is internet capable so he can add real time CCTV images and internet data to LC’s output.

Of course Harry finishes it and his next big case is outside of Chicago.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2022, 12:36:50 AM »
OF COURSE Odin has unmatched surveillance of Chicago. He has to know if you are sleeping, or if you are awake, or being bad or good, for goodness' sake!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2022, 05:08:50 AM »
Odin's map in Battleground causes Harry to comment that somebody must be spending a lot of time in Chicago, referring, I surmise, to the effort it took to keep LC current. The map has a lot of the same functionality.Search on this.

In Small Favor when Mab shows Harry Marcone's kidnapping in a snow scene. Contrast Gard's reaction with the reaction of Cowl in White Knight when he senses Harry watching.  The passages could be twins, therefore I speculate that Mab has access to something very similar to LC, only better. Also remember the first use and how Harry sees himself when using LC.

YMMV

Well, considering that Vadderung aka Odin is considered god, and Mab is the Queen of Winter, one would think that both of them would have a lot more resources at their disposal than Harry to keep their versions of Little Chicago current.  Harry only had himself and Bob, when he let him out, though Bob could be easily distracted.  One source open to him now would be Toot and Za'Gard, all it would take is Harry to convince him of the military importance and plenty of pizza...

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2022, 08:27:29 AM »
You would merely end up with a map of all the pizza parlours in Chicago.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2022, 11:43:40 AM »
You would merely end up with a map of all the pizza parlours in Chicago.

Which could be of strategic value!  Wasn't it Napoleon who said, "an army travels on it's stomach?"
Never was that more true than for Toot and Za'Gard. ::)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2022, 06:20:40 PM »
Updating LC:

Waldo Butters wrangling some geeks, flying drones all 'round the city, to produce photos.

Harry takes the photos, reviews them to see what needs sampling.
Dispatches the Little Folk to gather each specific sample.

I'll be honest with you, though:  I don't think Jim really considered the mundane logistics of Little Chicago.  The sheer number of sites Harry had to visit (& collect samples from) would have been prohibitive, simply in terms of time.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2022, 07:51:10 PM »
Updating LC:

Waldo Butters wrangling some geeks, flying drones all 'round the city, to produce photos.

Harry takes the photos, reviews them to see what needs sampling.
Dispatches the Little Folk to gather each specific sample.

I'll be honest with you, though:  I don't think Jim really considered the mundane logistics of Little Chicago.  The sheer number of sites Harry had to visit (& collect samples from) would have been prohibitive, simply in terms of time.

Agreed.