Author Topic: Ebenezars journal  (Read 6119 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Ebenezars journal
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2022, 02:25:41 PM »
<shrugs>
Harry calls it "fire."
Jim Butcher calls it "fire."

Looks to me like you're "right," technically speaking... but there may be something else going on, given both in-world and WoJ testimony.

Hell, it's magic -- maybe Harry's magic is momentarily making nitrogen flammable???
If it walks like a duck......

It just sounds cool to call it fire magic.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2022, 10:28:11 PM »
If it walks like a duck......

Q U A C K !!!

It just sounds cool to call it fire magic.
Plus the conceptual link to the classical "Elements" of Earth/Air/Fire/Water.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2022, 12:30:51 AM »
 :)

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2022, 11:35:24 PM »
i am so sick of the word and concept of mantle I wish it had never been used in any of the stories. That way MAB is MAB ODIN is ODIN. The way it is now any tom dick or harry can be MAB or ODIN

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2022, 05:03:27 AM »
i am so sick of the word and concept of mantle I wish it had never been used in any of the stories. That way MAB is MAB ODIN is ODIN. The way it is now any tom dick or harry can be MAB or ODIN

Odin is himself; Kringle is a mantle.  So far as we know, there is no "Odin Mantle."

Mab is Mab... but she has the Winter Queen mantle (or it has her).  If you kill her, she will come back (courtesy of the Mantle), unless you kill her at a Conjunction (or using a reality-bending weapon like the Eye of Balor); should you succeed in killing Mab (good luck with that, BTW!) the Winter Queen is still coming back, as her Mantle likely just elevated the Winter Lady to Queen (if not, the WQ mantle went to Mother Winter, who is likely to take ... additional steps (but also put the WQ mantle back into play)).

The Kringle Mantle is subject to the Queen of Winter, but Odin is not.  Odin, apparently, doesn't particularly get along well with Mab... but he does fine as Kringle.  It's complicated.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2022, 05:47:49 AM »

Jim Butcher is a Mantle his son is in Training to take over.

Offline Tinfoil hat

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2022, 09:47:34 AM »
I always thought of a mantle like being elected president/ PM or becoming a general or a teacher. The mantle are the duties of the post. Like as a teacher you have to maintain discipline in your class. You have wiggle room of how you would achieve it. As a president/PM you personally don't like high taxes and promise to cut them. Bam the mantle of Pm is yours. You cut taxes and the market and economy crash. You end up increasing the taxes. Over time u end up making choices similar to the old guy. I see mantles working the same way. Molly is currently trying to make it her own but eventually she is going to come across a situation where the duties of the winter lady force her to make decisions similar to Maeve. There is wiggle room to make your own impact in the role but at times the only option is the bad one

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2022, 03:35:02 AM »
this to the millionth degree and i bet JB wished he had never opened that can of worms