Author Topic: Jim interview  (Read 6832 times)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Jim interview
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2022, 06:06:41 PM »
Who is the sleeper?  is it he who walks beside?
I don't remember anything being mentioned as the sleeper.

Basically Cthulhu but he didn't want to spell it out. Maybe copyright reasons.  The cult Molly and Carlos wiped out in Cold Case were Sleeper devotees who'd hijacked human bodies, trying to wake him up via fae blood sacrifices.

I don't think it was alluded to in Storm Front specifically. Jim's answer seemed more puzzled over whether there even was a singular overall big bad to the series, and settled on the sleeper as the biggest.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2022, 06:50:32 PM »
There is supposed to be a Kaiju book, perhaps something huge is sleeping under the City.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2022, 07:00:12 PM »
The Well of the Prison probably exists in a slightly different Space Time given the shifting nature of the tunnels, their apparent infinite size and the manner of its construction, as such it likely isn’t part of the “Mortal World” of that universe and wouldn’t connect to the NeverNever, which would be a great security feature. Of course this will only be the case if Jim finds it convenient. It’s like The Castle, it’s as big inside as it needs to be to fit a particular story. Jim can and does play fast and loose with his rules even when they have been committed to paper, doubly so for WOJ.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2022, 08:23:48 PM »
Butcher has been remarkably consistent on this point. You invoke a guest right.  That means you knock on the door before you enter or come in with guns blazing.By the time of Turn Coat Maeve has been outed as nemfected. Assuming that she ever had keys that would pretty much have ended that.  Unless Mab is an idiot. In any case Maeve is as good as a candidate as anyone else for Peabody's partner.  But it doesn't follow that Maeve came from Arctis Tor.

Butcher himself makes the distinction that the prison is separate from the island.  You enter the Well through the door at the bottom of the stairs.
I know, but you have guest rights only that time. It is not an extended invitation for ever. My doubt was about how you specify that? That the host is accepting the guest for once, that next time the guest wants to enter, it would be necessary to ask permission again.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2022, 09:01:58 PM »
I mean that seems kinda normal, do you assume that because someone let you into their house once, you can therefore come in whenever you like?

Seems to me that would be far more rude.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 09:09:43 PM by forumghost »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2022, 10:35:45 PM »
I'd have to go back and look for the specific instances, but I'm pretty sure there is (at least) the very-strong implication that (at least some entities) can get a "permanent" invitation when the person inviting them had meant something much more restrictive.

Not to mention how, once in, a great many of these beings can easily trick or force somebody to modify the temporary one into something permanent...  And while that's not "fair" it's still valid.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2022, 05:10:30 AM »
I mean that seems kinda normal, do you assume that because someone let you into their house once, you can therefore come in whenever you like?

Seems to me that would be far more rude.
Human etiquette is not necessarily the same than supernatural one.
g33k, thanks for checking.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2022, 08:24:18 AM »
g33k, thanks for checking.

Honestly, I don't think I effectively can...

I only have the paper hardcopy books, I think I'd need searchable e-books to find all the instances of supernaturals & thresholds & the various expositions & tidbits from Harry & Bob (and with the shorts, Molly & Thomas (and maybe others?)) ...

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2022, 12:29:18 PM »
I do.  But you don't need it.  It's used in The Law.  Mab gives old "what  his name" a place to live in Arctis Tor before she sends him to work for Marcone.  He is apparently a demigod.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2022, 04:00:43 PM »

I only have the paper hardcopy books, I think I'd need searchable e-books to find all the instances of supernaturals & thresholds & the various expositions & tidbits from Harry & Bob (and with the shorts, Molly & Thomas (and maybe others?)) ...

I mean I do have all the e-books and don't think I effectively can.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2022, 06:53:46 PM »

No, no, I mean thanks for what you already did to answer me.
Missing you, Md 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2022, 07:21:42 PM »
I do.  But you don't need it.  It's used in The Law.  Mab gives old "what  his name" a place to live in Arctis Tor before she sends him to work for Marcone.  He is apparently a demigod.

Not guest right, he swore fealty to Mab and therefore Winter Law, a different bundle of rights and obligations, Nameless was excluded from Arctis  Tor following the attack in Proven Guilty, suggesting he was the inside man, but is still bound by his fealty to Mab and Winter Law, no access, all obligation. Doubtless he chafes under Winter Law but even as a Demi-god he isn’t anywhere near Mab’s weight class. If only there was some ritual which would allow him to boost his power lever and break free of Mab, or better yet reverse the pecking order.

It strikes me that Harry with his Knights of the Bean may have inadvertently recruited a bunch of mortals to Winter and to whom Winter Law may apply. That could be a future problem for Harry and fit in with the Liege Lord comment in the interview. A knight could traditionally, create a new Knight, and being part of his banner could reinforce this.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2022, 04:06:35 AM »
I always wondered about the etiquette in the supernatural world. How would you tell someone like Mab "Yes, you have my permission to enter my domain THIS TIME" without being rude? Or is it assumed that a permission is not absolute, but only for the moment, unless otherwise specified? Because that scene always worried me a little.

I'd assume permission to enter is a case by case thing. If i pass security at LaGuardia, I can walk the concourse. If I pass OUTSIDE security, i must ask (be cleared) a second time. Harry can not waltz around the Erlking's domain because he once entered with Susan.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2022, 04:22:38 AM »

If Cereberus is coming to Chicago then there is a Way reachable to Mouse other than Marcone’s bank, unless of course Cereberus bites through the iron bars of Hades personal vault and waits patiently for the main vault door to open.

I'd imagine there are multiple Ways from Hades. The Skin game crew may have taken a direct route, and maybe Cerberus takes a connecting one. the connecting one might be avoided by many for Nasty Things between the gates, but Cerberus might pass unmolested, either due to his power, or the other creature's fear of whose dog it is.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2022, 04:49:05 AM »
If an already Nemfected Maeve had known a Way to the island, she could have loosed the sleepers before Harry ever became Warden or Winter Knight.

Maybe not. Maybe when there is no Warden, Alfred gets to be ACTING Warden. If the Warden must approve squashing certain invaders, Alfred cannot do it without permission. If there is no Warden, he grants HIMSELF permission, and stops Maeve.