Author Topic: Jim interview  (Read 7016 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Jim interview
« on: September 18, 2022, 02:24:37 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17_qlpecuzc&ab_channel=MVPublicLibrary

so highlights: he's on Cinder Spires Chapter 24, 12 months first chapter
Working on a short story of Cerberus and Mouse for an animal shelter anthology
Nemean Lion has escaped so Cerberus hires Mouse for help
12 months Harry as a leader or liege lord.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Jim interview
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 03:22:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17_qlpecuzc&ab_channel=MVPublicLibrary

so highlights: he's on Cinder Spires Chapter 24, 12 months first chapter
Working on a short story of Cerberus and Mouse for an animal shelter anthology
Nemean Lion has escaped so Cerberus hires Mouse for help
12 months Harry as a leader or liege lord.

Wasn't the Nemean Lion killed by Hercules as one of his twelve labors?  At least that is according to Google, or is that another myth that isn't quite true as Hades explained to Harry back in Skin Game.

Offline Bacail

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 04:29:24 PM »
Since Cerberus is involved im assuming the Namean Lion escaped from the afterlife ie the Underworld.

Wasn't the Nemean Lion killed by Hercules as one of his twelve labors?  At least that is according to Google, or is that another myth that isn't quite true as Hades explained to Harry back in Skin Game.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 05:04:35 PM »
Oh no! Harry is not a descendant of Merlin. There goes my spiffy theory. :(

Offline Lord Kinbote

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 06:12:41 PM »
So at least a year before the next Dresden Files novel, which will make it 3 years and counting since September 2020's Battle Ground.  How long before the next novel that's planned to push the overarching narrative along?

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 10:33:10 PM »
You missed that Etienne The Enchanter was a pal of Merlins, he created Bob’s original Sanctum. Thus Bob was put to work initially for ‘good’ and this shows the Original Merlin was still alive in the 1200’s, much later than thought, or at least was time travelling.

You also missed Harry’s visitation by Malcolm was not Malcolm’s ghost, suggesting Malcolm DIDN’T die by violence. Was it instead some ascension or apotheosis on the part of Malcom to a higher state of being?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 10:36:08 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 11:45:37 PM »
Oh no! Harry is not a descendant of Merlin. There goes my spiffy theory. :(
In all humor Butcher describes his job as telling very long lies and then asks if you would trust him. Here's the thing about calling your self a liar.    Why would I believe anything he says? I'd put my WAG on the back burner and wait for events.  If Merlin is Harry by the way, he would be the start of the bloodline not a part of it. He can't descend from himself. :o ;)
So at least a year before the next Dresden Files novel, which will make it 3 years and counting since September 2020's Battle Ground.  How long before the next novel that's planned to push the overarching narrative along?
He actually tweeted The End in 2019 before deciding to split the book.
You missed that Etienne The Enchanter was a pal of Merlins, he created Bob’s original Sanctum. Thus Bob was put to work initially for ‘good’ and this shows the Original Merlin was still alive in the 1200’s, much later than thought, or at least was time travelling.

You also missed Harry’s visitation by Malcolm was not Malcolm’s ghost, suggesting Malcolm DIDN’T die by violence. Was it instead some ascension or apotheosis on the part of Malcom to a higher state of being?
Here goes Butcher rewriting history, again.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 04:38:38 AM »

In the interview Jim says it is the spirit of the Lion.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 05:02:12 AM »
In my headcanon Hercules regularly gifted Uncle Hades as the only sane one in the family. Hercules 'wrestling' Cerberus was actually giving him a belly rub.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 05:39:24 AM »
... the Original Merlin was still alive in the 1200’s, much later than thought, or at least was time travelling ...

Given that Merlin constructed demonreach prison as a pentacle in time (in 5 different times, as a single action) I think "Merlin as time traveller" has to be considered a well-established part of canon!

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2022, 08:59:38 AM »
Harry is an unreliable Narrator.

But so is Jim.

I think he might have well confused the Merlin/Etienne Bromance but not Malcolm. He might have been knocking around 1200 because that may have been a point when he created Demonreach, probably the last. Everything major would have been in Demonreach by this point, except Ethnui.

Bob may have been created as a temporal “message in a bottle” designed like the good little talking head that he is to give exposition about the Merlin to Harry when certain conditions are met.

If the spirit of the Nemean lion has escaped, could it have taken up residence in Mister? Would anyone including Mister notice the difference? Why else enlist Mouse? Jim has finally got around to commenting on Misters Age (18 in the time-line) perhaps this is a way of extending it? The Nimean Lion’s spirit seeks out the body of the most powerful ‘big’ cat in the mortal realm and that happens to be Harry Dresden’s housecat which rules him (and Mouse) with a will of iron. Mister is used to cohabiting with Supernatural spirits, so it might surprise The Lion and Mister has the upper hand, especially if catnip is involved.

If Cereberus is coming to Chicago then there is a Way reachable to Mouse other than Marcone’s bank, unless of course Cereberus bites through the iron bars of Hades personal vault and waits patiently for the main vault door to open.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 09:24:05 AM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2022, 10:56:15 AM »

If the spirit of the Nemean lion has escaped, could it have taken up residence in Mister? Would anyone including Mister notice the difference? Why else enlist Mouse? Jim has finally got around to commenting on Misters Age (18 in the time-line) perhaps this is a way of extending it? The Nimean Lion’s spirit seeks out the body of the most powerful ‘big’ cat in the mortal realm and that happens to be Harry Dresden’s housecat which rules him (and Mouse) with a will of iron. Mister is used to cohabiting with Supernatural spirits, so it might surprise The Lion and Mister has the upper hand, especially if catnip is involved.

If Cereberus is coming to Chicago then there is a Way reachable to Mouse other than Marcone’s bank, unless of course Cereberus bites through the iron bars of Hades personal vault and waits patiently for the main vault door to open.

I like it. Don't think thats whats gonna happen but it would make a good story in its own right. I think Mister being the hero and being unimpressed about it could work though.

Where did Jim comment on Misters age?

Also the Marcone Hades Vault thing.
1. That was part of the trials to access the vault one of the most secure realms of Hades short of Tartarus. The analogues between Demonreach and Tartarus are there.
2. There are presumably other Ways in and out of Hades, that aren't directly tied to the vault. Particularly for a mythic beast like Cerberus.

I think he might have well confused the Merlin/Etienne Bromance but not Malcolm. He might have been knocking around 1200 because that may have been a point when he created Demonreach, probably the last. Everything major would have been in Demonreach by this point, except Ethnui.

I mean Merlin was what Fall of Rome to William the Conqueror from on the outside 500 ad till after 1066? Long even for a Wizards life time but even if its the standard 3 to 400. Capping at around 900 ad.

Etienne could have lived from 900 ad to 1200 ad. Could have been an apprentice or younger colleague of Merlin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2022, 02:58:01 PM »
Cereberus will not come out of Demonreach three words Wet Dog Smell. And it would be truly epic. Cereberus would also have to deal with Alfred, who I suspect would, hug him and pet him and pat him and kiss him and call him George.

I believe Harry has commented on Mister getting old in Peace Talks and Jim did in Little Things.

As regards Demonreach and Tartarus being analogues, Tartarus is an afterlife, not a prison for the here and now and is hardly escape proof, Demonreach is. The analogues would be for a prison for the living which has never been the subject of an escape. Only Mab’s Ice Garden springs to mind.

He worked with Etienne on providing a sanctum which puts it around the 1200’s

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2022, 05:33:27 PM »
Cereberus will not come out of Demonreach three words Wet Dog Smell. And it would be truly epic. Cereberus would also have to deal with Alfred, who I suspect would, hug him and pet him and pat him and kiss him and call him George.

I believe Harry has commented on Mister getting old in Peace Talks and Jim did in Little Things.

As regards Demonreach and Tartarus being analogues, Tartarus is an afterlife, not a prison for the here and now and is hardly escape proof, Demonreach is. The analogues would be for a prison for the living which has never been the subject of an escape. Only Mab’s Ice Garden springs to mind.

He worked with Etienne on providing a sanctum which puts it around the 1200’s

Someone needs to do a bit of research on Greek mythology:

In Greek mythology, Tartarus (/ˈtɑːrtərəs/; Ancient Greek: Τάρταρος, Tártaros) is the deep abyss that is used as a dungeon of torment and suffering for the wicked and as the prison for the Titans. Tartarus is the place where, according to Plato's Gorgias ( c.

Tartarus - Wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Tartarus

Tartarus does double duty as an underworld for mortals and the prison ofthe Greek Titans and other monsters. This is true of most mythological/religious hells. The monsters/demons are sent there and later the wicked souls of humanity are banished there. Mab's little ice garden is her personal prison but it isn't even as good a prison as Demonreach, otherwise it would have a much larger population.

Offline MoroccoMole

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 03:33:46 AM »
In the interview{15:15}, the question was "Was there a clue to who the big bad of the series is in Storm Front?" 
Answer " I suppose the sleeper was, there's so many villans, but he's so big he was more of an environment."

Who is the sleeper?  is it he who walks beside?

I don't remember anything being mentioned as the sleeper.
I like a man who grins when he fights.

~Winston Churchill On Enthusiasm~