Author Topic: Proven Guilty and my personal canon.  (Read 5238 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Proven Guilty and my personal canon.
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2022, 09:55:12 PM »
I missed one event.  Lash helped Harry escape from the Fool Moon Garage.

She let him understand what the ghouls were saying, she helped him translate and understand Kemmler's book. 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2022, 10:29:15 PM »
None of which happened in Proven Guilty.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2022, 04:05:28 AM »
None of which happened in Proven Guilty.

I still think you are missing the point, it isn't what Lasciel does to help Harry in Proven Guilty, it is about what she is becoming, "Lash."  That is her part in the plot that has repercussions for the next few books.   

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2022, 09:32:28 PM »
The problem is presented by in the denouement.  How did anyone know of the existence of LC and who knew it well enough to know it was broken and so how to fix it? Only one character would have known by default.  Lasciel's  Shadow. Mab would have known how to get in but how could she know that it was there and broken?

Add Lea and Mab to the shortlist.

Because the Way from the lab leads directly to Lea's Murder Garden, Lea (and Lea-proxy Mab, during Lea's "sidhecicle incident" (and very-likely Mab all the time, invoking the whole Mab's Handmaiden vassalage)) can open a Way into the lab any time Harry isn't there, and peek in.  If Bob is there, they either need to silence him, or hide; but either/both seem possible...

But between Bob getting sent out riding Mister, getting "free passes" from Harry, and Harry taking Bob in a backpack, there's PLENTY of occasions for Lea and/or Mab to gain complete access to Harry's lab.  This exact thing -- Bob & Harry both being out of the lab -- happens in Proven Guilty; between Harry's attempt to use it, and Bob discovering the repair, & realizing the (prior) flawed state.

Mab could cross Harry's Threshold, leave 99% of her power behind, and still have more power (and of course skill!) than Harry, for the purposes of fixing LC.

... Bob says something strange.If he recognized it was wrong after the fact why didn't he recognize it before? ...

The error was subtle enough that he didn't realize it was an error:  Bob isn't an infallible expert.  Bob had said, "none of the evil geniuses" he had worked with could have created LC; so it was sophisticated stuff, both subtle and powerful.  Bob simply overlooked the flaw, it was a "plausible" -- but erroneous -- design.

What WAS obvious to Bob was the CHANGE.  Bob noticed that immediately.  And he compared the new to the old... and THEN saw what was wrong with the old.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 10:05:04 PM by g33k »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2022, 11:01:38 PM »
I take it as a given for my personal canon that Mab never leaves Arctis Tor in the book.  Lea's on ice.  In the realm of characters it could have been Battle Ground added Vadderung. But for me the point is moot.  Mab works and if you end the series at Cold Days it gives a more or less complete picture.

A report from DragonCon from reddit quotes Butcher as saying he might pause the Cinder Spires series since his second wife took the cats in the divorce. Really, truly?
Quote from: reddit
Update on Cinder Spire. Went through divorce during pandemic. He misses the cats. He’s considering setting it aside for a while as working on it traumatizes him. Still has Fenris, but sounds like Kitty got the others. Still has Bru too. He sounded real sad in talking about losing the cats and working on the Spires. Fenris bosses around Bru.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2022, 04:27:19 AM »
I take it as a given for my personal canon that Mab never leaves Arctis Tor in the book.  Lea's on ice.  In the realm of characters it could have been Battle Ground added Vadderung. But for me the point is moot.  Mab works and if you end the series at Cold Days it gives a more or less complete picture.

A report from DragonCon from reddit quotes Butcher as saying he might pause the Cinder Spires series since his second wife took the cats in the divorce. Really, truly?

Poor guy, I'd advise he get himself some new kittens.. Seriously, while they cannot take the place of his old friends, new ones will ease the pain.  I've found that it does help after the loss of a beloved dog. Though his remaining cat may have a lot to say in the matter.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2022, 08:31:51 PM »
Poor guy, I'd advise he get himself some new kittens.. Seriously, while they cannot take the place of his old friends, new ones will ease the pain.  I've found that it does help after the loss of a beloved dog. Though his remaining cat may have a lot to say in the matter.
Life goes on.  It does not stop just  because you're traumatized by losing your cats. I had to go back to work after I buried my mother.  Coming apart at the seams wasn't a luxury I could avail myself of. However I  wish him luck and everything good going forward.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2022, 10:10:18 AM »
Life goes on.  It does not stop just  because you're traumatized by losing your cats. I had to go back to work after I buried my mother.  Coming apart at the seams wasn't a luxury I could avail myself of. However I  wish him luck and everything good going forward.

Tell me about it, we had searches which I participated in just a week or two after losing my son, and again after losing my husband.  But then again, everyone responds to grief differently, his ex-wife taking his beloved animals could have been the last straw in an emotional time.. We shouldn't judge, and this isn't the place for it.   

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2022, 04:00:05 AM »

So did I, but I couldn't AFFORD to not work. We don't know if Jim needs to work for financial reasons or he is at a stage he works for creative outlet or a sense of purpose, etc. Bill Watterson from Calvin and Hobbes walked away and never came back or came out with new stuff.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2022, 10:57:02 AM »
So did I, but I couldn't AFFORD to not work. We don't know if Jim needs to work for financial reasons or he is at a stage he works for creative outlet or a sense of purpose, etc. Bill Watterson from Calvin and Hobbes walked away and never came back or came out with new stuff.

Creativity is an intangible, it cannot be turned on or off like a faucet.  Sometimes tragedy,etc, can turn it on, and sometimes it can turn it off never to flow again.  Artists everywhere have struggled with this since the time they started drawing animals on cave walls. 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2022, 12:13:32 PM »
I wish him the best of everything. And that's pretty much all I have left to say.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2022, 10:35:02 AM »
Creativity is an intangible, it cannot be turned on or off like a faucet.  Sometimes tragedy,etc, can turn it on, and sometimes it can turn it off never to flow again.  Artists everywhere have struggled with this since the time they started drawing animals on cave walls.

Oh, that is true. I just mean those of us who returned to work did not have options Jim may have - though after two divorces, he may have obligations too.  I hope he comes back, but we do not know if he HAS to, like we had to work. We do not know his motivations

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2022, 11:48:23 AM »
Oh, that is true. I just mean those of us who returned to work did not have options Jim may have - though after two divorces, he may have obligations too.  I hope he comes back, but we do not know if he HAS to, like we had to work. We do not know his motivations

All I am saying aside from that, I agree you or me might not have a choice, but then again it depends on the type of job we do.  Some things you cannot bully and get good results.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2022, 05:01:17 AM »
All I am saying aside from that, I agree you or me might not have a choice, but then again it depends on the type of job we do.  Some things you cannot bully and get good results.

No, you cannot force it.  He may get block. But I just say he could also choose to walk. We can't tell.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2022, 11:37:36 AM »
No, you cannot force it.  He may get block. But I just say he could also choose to walk. We can't tell.

Very true, his plans were huge for this series in the number of books, a lifetime of books to write.. Then he decided to start two other series at the same time!  His fame spread, that put more pressures on him, and life, as it usually does, happens, and the road gets rockier. Perhaps like the characters in the Dresden Files, he has some choices to make.