Author Topic: In defense of the WC  (Read 18078 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: In defense of the WC
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2022, 09:44:46 PM »
It's specifically the castle, I think, that becomes problematic for the Council.

Bastion of the Winter Knight, staffed by Winter-aligned Fae ...  Basically (from the outside) it looks an awful lot like "this is a part of Winter."

I don't think they know enough to be clear where the lines are.  We have a unique perspective.  I'm sure there are WC secrets we don't yet know, but we have more insight into Winter (& Mab) than any living White-Council wizard except Rashid... who isn't likely to help them.

Which may be why the Merlin attacked the Castle in Little Things he was aware Harry was there he wasn’t aware of the change in its status.

I actually think that because the Paranet was associated with Harry they will be persona non grata (or as Harry would translate “I don’t own a cheese grater!”) whilst there are certain things minor talents can do, teaching a potential wizard and the issues  they might bring is another thing. Dealing with a gateway to the Never Never for example.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2022, 10:31:56 PM »
Which may be why the Merlin attacked the Castle in Little Things ...

Except that the whole "the Merlin was the perp" idea is just a theory.  And honestly, a pretty weak one:  it doesn't look like the Merlin's work, to me; it's just too clumsy, too overt.  Like the car-bomb that got Murphy's Saturn, it... isn't part of his vernacular.  If the Merlin wanted Harry dead, he's got MUCH better ways to do it.

... I actually think that because the Paranet was associated with Harry they will be persona non grata (or as Harry would translate “I don’t own a cheese grater!”) whilst there are certain things minor talents can do, teaching a potential wizard and the issues  they might bring is another thing. Dealing with a gateway to the Never Never for example.

I don't think "the Paranet" is really even on the WC's radar.

At most, I think the WC are vaguely aware that the little "clubhouse" groups (such as the Ordo Lebes) are communicting a bit more.  Remember, the Paranet largely uses the Internet, so they are inherently "wizard-resistant."

Harry called Carlos to "check up on" Elaine, who had previously been hired by the Ordo.

Harry then did his "Harry protects girls from Vamps" thing, stomping on another group of Vamps in the process (and doubtless alarming the WC tremendously; but it was an Accorded duel & Carlos participated, and the Whamps ended up paying weregild so it looks very legal & aboveboard).

Elaine ended up administering the weregild; she was the one who "created" the Paranet.

If they started a school, I expect they'd be noticed sooner rather than later.

So, Elaine proactively contacts Carlos... "I'm helping the minor talents organize and train, adopting the kids who were orphaned by the White Court, etc.  Can you take a look at this training-material on the Laws of Magic for me?  We really don't want to run afoul of the wardens!  Maybe you could even send wardens to do occasional trainings with us?  Pretty please?"

And, being a full-on Wizard-level talent herself, she can filter the trainees, make sure no Warden ever encounters any trainees that the White Council would want to grab.  But she can send a few strong-but-not-quite-WC-strong talents to Carlos for "testing."

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2022, 02:09:23 AM »
The Merlin cannot afford to take a shot at Harry and miss….in public. The “let’s blame it on a gas explosion” fits nicely with that.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2022, 04:20:36 AM »
He nearly had an entire hand amputated - does that count?

Nope. Almost doesn't count. Lack of commitment. Hand looks almost normal now.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2022, 04:23:50 AM »
Which is kind of weird, because the Knight is at least partly a hitman. Surely the Queens would expect Knights who don't bring magic of their own to rely on Winter ice magic in the course of carrying out certain kill orders.

Can't kill HUMANS with magic. Vampires, etc, other supernaturals are fine. Other Fae are fine.

Icicle thru the guts like the Ramp duel? Looks like Winter mantle, though he could have hit her with anything anyway

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2022, 04:25:55 AM »
It's specifically the castle, I think, that becomes problematic for the Council.

Bastion of the Winter Knight, staffed by Winter-aligned Fae ...  Basically (from the outside) it looks an awful lot like "this is a part of Winter."

Gotta be careful on that line, because if it is Winter, it could be an embassy, which would make Harry an ambassador - is there diplomatic immunity?

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2022, 04:30:32 AM »

So, Elaine proactively contacts Carlos... "I'm helping the minor talents organize and train, adopting the kids who were orphaned by the White Court, etc.  Can you take a look at this training-material on the Laws of Magic for me?  We really don't want to run afoul of the wardens!  Maybe you could even send wardens to do occasional trainings with us?  Pretty please?"

And, being a full-on Wizard-level talent herself, she can filter the trainees, make sure no Warden ever encounters any trainees that the White Council would want to grab.  But she can send a few strong-but-not-quite-WC-strong talents to Carlos for "testing."

Might be careful having Elaine around Carlos too much. He's convinced NOW she is a minor talent. What if he stumbles on she is likely stronger than him? Isn't she almost Harry-level? Just a little more finesse?

And how well do wizards detect power levels? She has Carlos fooled, and he's strong enough to be a Warden. The wizards might only be able to see on and off. Harry seemed surprised at Ascher's power and he had been on the expedition with her.   

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2022, 06:42:34 AM »
... is there diplomatic immunity?

I'm pretty sure Host-Right & Guest-Right is about as far as the Unseelie Accords go towards that concept.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2022, 06:49:18 AM »
Might be careful having Elaine around Carlos too much. He's convinced NOW she is a minor talent. What if he stumbles on she is likely stronger than him? Isn't she almost Harry-level? Just a little more finesse? ...

She won't have to have much interaction with Carlos.  Hand over a copy of the "7 Laws Lesson Plan," bat her eyelashes.

Mostly, after that, she'll have other teachers be interacting with the Wardens.

But even if she does have to deal more with Carlos... remember, she'll be teaching now.  Just like Harry did, Elaine will find her powers developing more quickly & more deeply.  She'll be getting more and more able to deceive Carlos.

... Harry seemed surprised at Ascher's power and he had been on the expedition with her.
Remember, Hannah was being coached in deception by the Web-Weaver herself, Lasciel.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2022, 07:13:56 AM »
Gotta be careful on that line, because if it is Winter, it could be an embassy, which would make Harry an ambassador - is there diplomatic immunity?
Unless he's training little warlocks. In which case Carlos will be like "it's just been revoked"...
As per my own theory, I think the Paranet will be taking "lead" on the school.  And I think the overwhelming majority of students will be "minor talents" like the Ordo Lebes were.

They may even make a show of directing some borderline cases to the White Council, and maybe get a "White Council Approved" curriculum around teaching the Laws.

Elaine certainly knows how to contact Carlos!

But if they "hide in plain sight" that way, the WC will probably ignore such a school indefinitely... very much unlike a school run by Headmaster Harry.

Not indefinitely. As soon as the war with the fomor is settled, the wardens will devote more time to checking on low level magical societies, which is part of their jobs.
PS: @Ed: could you please not double (and triple and quadruple) post? It buries the posts before you, making them harder to quote.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 07:16:11 AM by Fcrate »
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2022, 12:35:10 PM »

It’s the company car all over again, attack Harry’s home Mab will ignore, but an attack on a Winter Garrison she will not. Whoever (Merlin) tried to bomb the Castle will have to answer to her at some point and that gives Harry as Winter Knight the capacity to challenge to a duel whoever organised it (Merlin) with the full power of Winter behind him. As a Vassal of Winter on Winter Business Harry would be guaranteed unmolested access to the White Council and specifically the Merlin to issue the challenge. It’s the only way he could get one on one with the Merlin and we know from the Gatekeeper this is going to happen in the future.

If Harry has any sense he would ask Eldest Gruff to be his second.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2022, 05:53:38 PM »
Except that the whole "the Merlin was the perp" idea is just a theory.

Plus, Harry in non-member limbo where they might move against him is a political lever for Langtry over Ebenezar. Harry blown up neutralizes an asset along with a potential problem.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2022, 07:01:01 PM »
Plus, Harry in non-member limbo where they might move against him is a political lever for Langtry over Ebenezar. Harry blown up neutralizes an asset along with a potential problem.
I'm a little bit scared of you right now...
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2022, 07:03:32 PM »
... Whoever (Merlin) tried to bomb the Castle will have to answer to her at some point and that gives Harry as Winter Knight the capacity to challenge to a duel whoever organised it (Merlin) with the full power of Winter behind him. As a Vassal of Winter on Winter Business Harry would be guaranteed unmolested access to the White Council and specifically the Merlin to issue the challenge. It’s the only way he could get one on one with the Merlin and we know from the Gatekeeper this is going to happen in the future.

If Harry has any sense he would ask Eldest Gruff to be his second.

If he could prove it was the Merlin -- if he could even make a credible case -- he'd have grounds to go to the White Council, and to issue a challenge under the Accords.

The Merlin could then either apologize (and pay some nominal fine, since he didn't kill Harry (but suffer a massive hit to his rep within the Council!)) or accept, and they'd likely duel.

We've seen 2 Accorded challenges, IIRC.  Ortega vs. Harry, and Harry+Carlos vs Vitto+Maddy.  The first one was much more formal, with time between challenge & duel, 2nds to be found, a neutral arbiter (who got to define the methods of the duel!).  The 2nd one had none of that; a brief pause while the challenged armed themselves, then an "anything goes" fight (no neutral 3rd party, etc).

It's unclear to me what made both of those duels "legal" under the Accords, which generally seem quite finicky about the details (where they have details); and then very wide-open where they don't.  Hence, I'm very unclear what sort of duel would occur if the Winter Knight challenged the Merlin.

The big risk, as I see it, would be if some 3rd party was arbiter, and chose "Power" as the method for the duel... even with all his powerups to date, Harry is WAY behind the Merlin in magical brawn.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2022, 08:15:33 PM »
And yet he fought Eb to a draw in Battle Ground who is supposed to be the best Battle Wizard. Langtry is considered to be the best defensive wizard, but you don’t win a duel on defence. For example Langtry erects a shield no attack can get through, Harry could use soul Fire to enhance that shield so that Oxygen doesn’t get through and then wait for Langtry to pass out.

Langtry at this point has to consider Harry a greater political threat than Eb, he isn’t an asset, and he is the more immediate threat.