Author Topic: In defense of the WC  (Read 18113 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: In defense of the WC
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2022, 06:11:19 PM »
I have posited the same.

The Paranet know what the WC have done to Harry despite what Harry did for the WC, they are not going to pass potential Wizards to the WC they are going to pass them to Harry. That’s most of North America.

Harry is also going to be a magnet for disaffected and abused apprentices from the WC from across the world, and wobetide the Wizard who so abuses his young apprentice that they reach Harry. They will be so forced to swear on their power that they will not be able to do anything.That’s a smattering of apprentices across the world.

Harry can’t do one on one teaching in these circumstances but could engage others, Elaine and Molly and Mort (for Ectomancy directly, but no reason he can’t channel say Morgan for evocation and Mort could stand to broaden his education), Butters for magical theory and comparative supernatural biology. Guest Lecturers like River Shoulders or Kringle. If he can save Chandler in Mirror Mirror, then he has another teacher who would be delighted to teach. Harry doesn’t have the WC prejudice against non-human practitioners.

I can see that leading to a civil war among the wizards.  The White Council will never go for an open school headed by Harry, they will want his head more than ever.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2022, 06:37:48 PM »
I can see that leading to a civil war among the wizards.  The White Council will never go for an open school headed by Harry, they will want his head more than ever.

I think it'd be very complicated.

To begin with, I don't think there are enough "pro-Harry" wizards to support a civil war, as such.

A "war" against Harry, or his "school"?

I'm pretty sure the White Council wouldn't go to war against Winter.  Frankly, that would be tantamount to suicide, and I think most of them know it.  Harry's the WK, and with winterfae now inhabiting the Castle, it would be hard to see a White Council attack there as anything else.

I have posited the same.

The Paranet know what the WC have done to Harry despite what Harry did for the WC, they are not going to pass potential Wizards to the WC they are going to pass them to Harry. That’s most of North America.

Harry is also going to be a magnet for disaffected and abused apprentices from the WC from across the world, and wobetide the Wizard who so abuses his young apprentice that they reach Harry. They will be so forced to swear on their power that they will not be able to do anything.That’s a smattering of apprentices across the world.

Harry can’t do one on one teaching in these circumstances but could engage others, Elaine and Molly and Mort (for Ectomancy directly, but no reason he can’t channel say Morgan for evocation and Mort could stand to broaden his education), Butters for magical theory and comparative supernatural biology. Guest Lecturers like River Shoulders or Kringle. If he can save Chandler in Mirror Mirror, then he has another teacher who would be delighted to teach. Harry doesn’t have the WC prejudice against non-human practitioners. 

My own theory is that the Paranet itself will become the "school."  I'm sure they count some talented educators among their number, who could design curricula.  I would think of Harry as more in that "guest lecturer" role...

...  specifically, teaching Defense Against The Dark Arts!   :o   ;D

But the Paranet can teach many students the introductory material, only calling upon the stronger practitioners for specific "special needs."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 04:16:11 AM by g33k »

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2022, 06:53:26 PM »
Don't forget that he does have allies on the senior council. It's just that most of them were sick when he got sacked. Besides, the operation will start so small that it'll probably escape their notice, and when they do notice, it'll take a while for them to make a decision, much less get something done. Probably enough time that Marcone in general and Harry in particular will be strong enough that the Council will never be able to set foot in Chicago.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2022, 09:38:56 PM »
I think it'd be very complicated.

To begin with, I don't think there are enough "pro-Harry" wizards to support a civil war, as such.

A "war" against Harry, or his "school"?

I'm pretty sure the White Council wouldn't go to war against Winter.  Frankly, that would be tantamount to suicide, and I think most of them know it.  Harry's the WK, and with winterfae now inhabiting the Castle, it would be hard to see a White Council attack there as anything else.

My own theory is that the Paranet itself will become the "school."  I'm sure they count some talented educators among their number, who could design curricula.  I would think of Harry as more in that "guest lecturer" role...
...  specifically, teaching Defense Against The Dark Arts!   :o   ;D

But the Paranet can teach many students the introductory material, only calling upon the stronger practitioners for specific "special needs."

Nah,  Harry would teach Shop, the making of magical tools and artefacts.

It’s population, just like Starborn there are so many wizards being born that there are not enough current wizards to apprentice them in the traditional manner. The WC has lost considerable membership in the last decade due to the War with the Red Court, especially amongst those members who would be warden capable. The fact they impressed Harry shows they cannot afford a war with Harry, he has too many powerful allies and a worrying tendency to wipe out antagonists. To move against Harry publicly and fail would break the White Council. To fail to contain the burgeoning Warlock problem will also break the White Cpouncil.

The Castle almost certainly has to be seen as a garrison of Winter following The Law, which almost certainly provoked Harry to get the Za Guard living there, whoever tried to bomb Harry got out of date info, so not Marcone or Nameless. Sounds like the Merlin, trying to solve the Harry problem without publicly being seen to do so.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2022, 04:23:45 AM »

I don't think Harry can be any regular part of such a school.

To begin with, that'd set up all sorts of alarm-bells for the "Execute Warlock Dresden!" camp in the WC.  It'd likely set all those students up as targets for the WC, because they "graduated from the Warlock School."

But also, Harry sees himself (not unreasonably) as a danger to others -- he's a "Trouble Magnet."

He'd be really unhappy to attract (possibly indiscriminate) attacks that could do collateral damage to a bunch of wizardlings.

But most of all, I don't think Jim wants to write anything to further conflate the Potterverse/Hogwarts with the Dresden'verse!  Just the shared name "Harry" & being wizards was dismaying to him.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2022, 06:55:10 AM »
Harry actually enjoys teaching, and he may not get a chance to avoid it if half a dozen wizard level talents only a year or two older than Maggie end up on his doorstep. The Carpenters have several vacant rooms and their eldest daughter was in a similar position.

Harry is working to make things as safe for Maggie as possible with the Castle, we know there will be Gargoyles between The Law and The Good People to provide physical muscle, he’s probably working on the Never Never link and doubtless working on some way Of tracking magical threats within Chicago on real time (I can think of two ways Little Chicago 2, and Gary and Butters developing a program capable of tracking the effect of magic users on internet electronics systems, not sure paranoid Gary hasn’t already figured something out and just not told anyone).

Besides it’s another problem for Harry which means Jim would certainly be attracted to the idea, half a dozen arguing, horny, teenagers for Harry to corral against the interest of the City Authorities, putting Harry on a collusion  course with the White Council when Harry would like a low profile.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2022, 05:21:51 AM »

Harry can't teach shop, he has all his fingers.....

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2022, 05:50:52 AM »

I disagree. Not saying the WC WILL move against a school, but that the SCHOOL being considered part of Winter.  The Knight is a liaison with a foot in each world, but he CAN be attacked for his HUMAN side without it being seen as an attack on Winter.  Shooting a Marine at a US Embassy on guard duty can be considered an attack on the US. The same Marine being stabbed in a bar fight offduty that night is not.

It also strikes me that if any attack on the WK is an attack on Winter - even if he was doing it at Harry's behest, why didn't Winter move against Kincaid? He shot the WK with intent to kill him. They didn't because that was Harry on Harry - personal, not professional Winter work. 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2022, 08:53:38 AM »
Harry can't teach shop, he has all his fingers.....

He nearly had an entire hand amputated - does that count?

Offline Tinfoil hat

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2022, 09:37:44 AM »
I disagree. Not saying the WC WILL move against a school, but that the SCHOOL being considered part of Winter.  The Knight is a liaison with a foot in each world, but he CAN be attacked for his HUMAN side without it being seen as an attack on Winter.  Shooting a Marine at a US Embassy on guard duty can be considered an attack on the US. The same Marine being stabbed in a bar fight offduty that night is not.

It also strikes me that if any attack on the WK is an attack on Winter - even if he was doing it at Harry's behest, why didn't Winter move against Kincaid? He shot the WK with intent to kill him. They didn't because that was Harry on Harry - personal, not professional Winter work.
I agree. Mab wont defend her knight if he does something stupid. There is a woj that if harry breaks the laws of magic, she wont defend him.
Most powers dont know what Mab will orwont do which harry takes advantage of in BG when he threatened Carlos.
It's the knight's job to protect the queen not the other way around

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2022, 03:40:49 PM »
There is a woj that if harry breaks the laws of magic, she wont defend him.

Which is kind of weird, because the Knight is at least partly a hitman. Surely the Queens would expect Knights who don't bring magic of their own to rely on Winter ice magic in the course of carrying out certain kill orders.

Would someone like Slate be subject to execution for doing his Winter job if the Wardens got their hands on him?

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2022, 05:25:30 PM »
Which is kind of weird, because the Knight is at least partly a hitman. Surely the Queens would expect Knights who don't bring magic of their own to rely on Winter ice magic in the course of carrying out certain kill orders.

Would someone like Slate be subject to execution for doing his Winter job if the Wardens got their hands on him?

I think it's a question of mortal magic -- which is subject to the White Council's laws of magic -- vs the powers of the WK Mantle.   Slate -- and similar WK's -- can't break the White Council's laws.

It's could be tough -- depending on the effect Harry employs -- for the Council to be clear whether Harry was using Mantle or genuine Magic.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2022, 06:49:45 PM »
I think it's a question of mortal magic -- which is subject to the White Council's laws of magic -- vs the powers of the WK Mantle.   Slate -- and similar WK's -- can't break the White Council's laws.

Yeah, since Slate wasn't a wizard, he never was subject to White Council Laws.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2022, 09:21:28 PM »
I disagree. Not saying the WC WILL move against a school, but that the SCHOOL being considered part of Winter ...
It's specifically the castle, I think, that becomes problematic for the Council.

Bastion of the Winter Knight, staffed by Winter-aligned Fae ...  Basically (from the outside) it looks an awful lot like "this is a part of Winter."

I don't think they know enough to be clear where the lines are.  We have a unique perspective.  I'm sure there are WC secrets we don't yet know, but we have more insight into Winter (& Mab) than any living White-Council wizard except Rashid... who isn't likely to help them.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2022, 09:29:17 PM »
... Besides, the operation will start so small that it'll probably escape their notice, and when they do notice, it'll take a while for them to make a decision, much less get something done ...

As per my own theory, I think the Paranet will be taking "lead" on the school.  And I think the overwhelming majority of students will be "minor talents" like the Ordo Lebes were.

They may even make a show of directing some borderline cases to the White Council, and maybe get a "White Council Approved" curriculum around teaching the Laws.

Elaine certainly knows how to contact Carlos!

But if they "hide in plain sight" that way, the WC will probably ignore such a school indefinitely... very much unlike a school run by Headmaster Harry.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:30:56 PM by g33k »