Author Topic: Lara Raith marriage consummation  (Read 15069 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Lara Raith marriage consummation
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2022, 02:09:46 PM »
Well they are denying him the title Wizard, they can hardly complain if he calls himself a Wizzard.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2022, 03:49:27 PM »
Exactly. I was all PT/BG convinced that the vote will be in Harry's favour. It surprised me, so I suppose I have to say "well played", but it made me wary of anything that is not in books.
I'm pretty sure Harry being kicked out of the WC was always part of Jim's plan.

I just think Jim wasn't entirely certain when that was going to happen, and got clarity on this point between the original (Christmas-eve) release of "Christmas Eve" and the later, "official" publication.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2022, 04:15:24 PM »
... But to me, Harry always showed so much will in resisting the White Court mojo, being pretty confident in his assertion that "it wasn't real", that he was very aware that it wasn't more than a trick, a fantasy, that he knew the real deal.

So, honestly I'd find it so unlike Harry if he were to just fall in love with Lara in the next book and willingly pursue a relationship and be okay with the marriage (Murphy aside). It's just too soon IMO, it'd be rushed.

But I have to say the way Harry behaves in PT/BG stripped me of that confidence I had in Harry/the author's writing of him in regards to that relationship. Plus the treatment in general of Murphy in the context of this relationship too (Harry seems, for most of Peace Talks, to have taken a step back from where his mind was at the end of Skin Game -when he even drops the "love" word already- and in the moments when he's alone with Lara there's a lot of stuff going on there and not once one of his thoughts is "wait a second, I shouldn't be drooling over Lara because I also know the real deal and that is my current GF")...

The thing is, nothing can protect you from the Whamp mojo.  Not True Love, not a magic circle, nothing.
When a Whamp turns on the whampery, you *will* feel desire.
True Love can protect you from the touch of a Whamp, that's all.

What Harry has is something else...
 - the self-awareness that all manner of bodily urges can be experienced, without being acted-upon
 - years of experience as a wizard, doing just that:  setting aside the physical, using the emotional, all as fuel for his will and his magic
 - superhuman -- possibly Starborn? (a WAG of mine) -- levels of sheer stubbornness

Harry knows the Whampery is inevitable, so he's not gonna go all self-doubt when his body reacts; all that means is that he's not dead.

But -- regarding a genuine relationship with Lara -- Harry also knows this is possible, because of Thomas & Justine.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2022, 06:57:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure Harry being kicked out of the WC was always part of Jim's plan.

I just think Jim wasn't entirely certain when that was going to happen, and got clarity on this point between the original (Christmas-eve) release of "Christmas Eve" and the later, "official" publication.

It was telegraphed in Turn Coat when the Gatekeeper commented it wasn’t the time for Harry to stand up to the White Council.

I believe that time may be coming.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2022, 10:03:32 PM »
It was telegraphed in Turn Coat when the Gatekeeper commented it wasn’t the time for Harry to stand up to the White Council.

I believe that time may be coming.
Agreed

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2022, 11:57:07 PM »
Of course it was JB plan all the time. I just think that he knew what he was doing, he intentionally put "wizard of the WC" in the original Christmas' Eve so not to spoil BG for us.

The thing is, nothing can protect you from the Whamp mojo.  Not True Love, not a magic circle, nothing.
When a Whamp turns on the whampery, you *will* feel desire.
True Love can protect you from the touch of a Whamp, that's all.

What Harry has is something else...
 - the self-awareness that all manner of bodily urges can be experienced, without being acted-upon
 - years of experience as a wizard, doing just that:  setting aside the physical, using the emotional, all as fuel for his will and his magic
 - superhuman -- possibly Starborn? (a WAG of mine) -- levels of sheer stubbornness

Harry knows the Whampery is inevitable, so he's not gonna go all self-doubt when his body reacts; all that means is that he's not dead.

But -- regarding a genuine relationship with Lara -- Harry also knows this is possible, because of Thomas & Justine.

You will feel desire, that is fine, but if the whampire can't touch you, I think he cannot feed of you. He cannot weaken you, or kill you.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2022, 06:04:06 PM »
Of course it was JB plan all the time. I just think that he knew what he was doing, he intentionally put "wizard of the WC" in the original Christmas' Eve so not to spoil BG for us.

Funny I never noticed that.. But would it have spoiled us that much?  I mean I believe I've heard Harry refer to himself as Chicago's Wizard, at any rate it went right over my head... But then again a lot of things have of late.. ::)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2022, 09:48:19 PM »
You will feel desire, that is fine, but if the whampire can't touch you, I think he cannot feed of you. He cannot weaken you, or kill you.
I think that's more-or-less correct, yes.
No touching, no feeding (note however that Justine was able to burn a Whamp with just a touch of her hair).

On the other hand, it depends how you define "weaken."  They don't have to steal your life-force away to be able to make you a "weaker" (less effective) opponent:
  Crazed with lust isn't exactly the best frame of mind when you need to concentrate on the intricacies of a legal argument.
  "Situational Awareness" can be critical in combat, and almost nonexistent when mostly all you're "aware" of is the Whamp
  etc ...

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2022, 10:38:45 PM »
I see a problem but it's hard to put the words on paper. I blush easily. If a hair can burn a vampire then how could Lara ever get pregnant? Sperm and egg would be like matter and antimatter. :-[

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2022, 11:29:20 PM »
I see a problem but it's hard to put the words on paper. I blush easily. If a hair can burn a vampire then how could Lara ever get pregnant? Sperm and egg would be like matter and antimatter. :-[

I daresay a great many "political" marriages aimed at creating an heir had no love involved.

So long as any partner of a Whamp wasn't in love -- or took care to "eliminate" the protection by having sex with someone else -- there's no problem (other than Whamp's inherent low fertility).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 12:06:11 AM by g33k »

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2022, 05:25:34 AM »
I daresay a great many "political" marriages aimed at creating an heir had no love involved.

So long as any partner of a Whamp wasn't in love -- or took care to "eliminate" the protection by having sex with someone else -- there's no problem (other than Whamp's inherent low fertility).

Well, that also would assume the baby is Harry's in fact and not just in name

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2022, 01:52:58 PM »

Before that, surprise, but for consummate a marriage you have to actually touch your partner. That is why I said the protection will be what they need to not consummate the marriage, and will use it as an excuse to divorce. (if they marry at all). 
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2022, 02:32:36 PM »
... That is why I said the protection will be what they need to not consummate the marriage, and will use it as an excuse to divorce. (if they marry at all). 

I don't think that will suffice.

Mab:  "Easily solved, my Knight.  Find some wench and tumble her.  There are many who are willing.  If nothing else, I can take you back to my own bower before the wedding is consummated... what is that mortal tradition, again?  Ah yes: ius primae noctis, right of first night."

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2022, 03:18:25 PM »
And she would.

And put it on Winter PBS like last time.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2022, 06:09:47 PM »
And she would.

Oh, absolutely!

But honestly, I don't think Mab particularly expects this marriage to go through.  I think she's using it to put extra pressure on the Raith household (since one of their key personnel was recently found to be Nemfected); and extra pressure on Harry, to make him a more-effective weapon.

So, she'll threaten him; and if he doesn't find a way out from under, she'll likely carry through with the threats.  But she isn't really invested in that outcome.

And put it on Winter PBS like last time.

IIRC that was all of Faerie, not just Winter.

I think that was a 1-time special, though -- the ascension of her new Knight.