Author Topic: Something That Has Always Bugged Me  (Read 6713 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Something That Has Always Bugged Me
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2022, 01:17:21 PM »
I am confused is this baseball? I was talking about wood in his staff not about sporting wood involving Harry. As far as I am aware Harry never even swung his staff at the Eye of Balor in Battle Ground, so he didn’t even manage to get to first base with Ethnui.

However Harry is far more used to striking out than getting a home run. He prefers to watch, remember the story involving the tuatha and the goat? That’s more Harry’s speed.

Harry does know his limitations even though his smart ass attitude pushes him to fight above his weight class.  You can put down Harry's individual skills all you want, but usually he comes out on top.  That's what counts, and yeah, he gets lots of help, but being able to attract that help is a skill also.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2022, 01:59:50 PM »
Harry didn’t come out top with the Naagoshli, but certainly Eb, Listens To The Wind and even Toot piled in for a group effort, and Shagnasty beat it with his tail between his legs after being worn out and bent out of shape by their attention. Was it that battle or against Drakul that Listens to The Wind turned into a Bear?

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2022, 04:21:21 PM »
Harry didn’t come out top with the Naagoshli, but certainly Eb, Listens To The Wind and even Toot piled in for a group effort, and Shagnasty beat it with his tail between his legs after being worn out and bent out of shape by their attention. Was it that battle or against Drakul that Listens to The Wind turned into a Bear?

Both. Kodiak bear is probably the apex land predator when it come to close quarters combat on land.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2022, 05:18:45 PM »
Both. Kodiak bear is probably the apex land predator when it come to close quarters combat on land.

Ah! Bear is LTW’s go to move. I definitely wouldn’t like a close quarters engagement with LTW when he turns into a Bear, no wonder Drakul was under pressure when double-teamed by a Bear and River Shoulders, fortunately Harry whipped out his staff and blew Drakul straight into next week, but not before the Black Court went down on Yoshi and Wild Bill (but not Carlos, never poor innocent Carlos.)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2022, 05:35:26 PM »
Ah! Bear is LTW’s go to move. I definitely wouldn’t like a close quarters engagement with LTW when he turns into a Bear, no wonder Drakul was under pressure when double-teamed by a Bear and River Shoulders, fortunately Harry whipped out his staff and blew Drakul straight into next week, but not before the Black Court went down on Yoshi and Wild Bill (but not Carlos, never poor innocent Carlos.)

Harry isn't immortal nor is he a god, he isn't going to win them all, but his percentage is better than most.  Yes, my point when he went up against the Skin Walker he had a brave soldier like Toot who had his back as well as LTW, being able to attract people like that is no small feat.  And if I remember correctly, LTW told Harry after the fight against Drakul in spite of the losses, fighting him to a draw is a win.. 

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2022, 05:17:10 AM »
Was it? Unless they had a before close up, you wouldn't see an existing crack before he broke it over his knee.  Or there is a trick to it, which apparently there is;

According to The Hardball Times. Here is the physics of it;

It also goes into how a bat is shaped and knowing where to apply the force at the weakest point.  In other words, the players that do it make a dramatic impression, but it apparently is something they studied and perhaps practiced before hand.

Both guys were carrying the bat back from the plate. Bo certainly hadn't cracked it hitting the ball, that was why he was mad.  The wood is more rigid across the grain. and breaking it over your knee (or helmet) is different than breaking on a pitch  - on a pitch the lever end is not having any other forces on it. Over the knee you push both ends and then block the middle.  Different driving a splitting edge from the side as opposed to the edge.

The bat, or the end of harry's staff, catches a lot of torque if it hits something at the end. Harry has to be doing something to upgrade the structural integrity. i think magic more likely than a vacuum chamber and resins. 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2022, 09:49:04 AM »
In The Law there is a disgusting and feeble piece of innuendo made by Triple Jay in Pontiac equating Harry’s ‘wand’ to an intimate piece of his anatomy.

Frankly I was shocked and appalled that Jim Butcher would stoop to such low tactics to get a cheap laugh from the reader. Frankly it is completely untelegraphed by any of Butchers other writing and felt very out of place.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2022, 04:34:20 PM »
Both guys were carrying the bat back from the plate. Bo certainly hadn't cracked it hitting the ball, that was why he was mad.  The wood is more rigid across the grain. and breaking it over your knee (or helmet) is different than breaking on a pitch  - on a pitch the lever end is not having any other forces on it. Over the knee you push both ends and then block the middle.  Different driving a splitting edge from the side as opposed to the edge.

The bat, or the end of harry's staff, catches a lot of torque if it hits something at the end. Harry has to be doing something to upgrade the structural integrity. i think magic more likely than a vacuum chamber and resins.
What this has to do with the Files is beyond me.  But.  Bats can break without any visible signs. I've watched it happen on a machine designed to break bats.  One of the more interesting yet useless jobs that I've had.  Breaking one across your knee is an invitation to a broken knee. Not to mention soft tissue damage. But if you must, make sure to hit it on the flat grain close to the handle.

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2022, 05:02:54 PM »
What this has to do with the Files is beyond me.  But...

As a spin-off from "the mundane combat efficacy of a staff," the question of "how breakable is a bat" seems reasonably relevant...?

Your Files May Vary

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Something That Has Always Bugged Meta
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2022, 07:52:17 PM »
Actually baseball bats have featured quite heavily in the files, mostly in relation to ‘Snake Boy’  Cassius Quintus. He has received a substantial drubbing from Harry who mercilessly worked him over with his wood on their first time together and Snakeboy returned the favour in Dead Beat on their next hook up (snakeboy used a hook tipped knife) just before Cassius penetrated Harry and Mouse went down on him finishing him off. Butters did little more than watch.