Author Topic: Lara and Harry sitting in a tree.......?  (Read 12486 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Lara and Harry sitting in a tree.......?
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2022, 08:22:40 PM »
To answer the original question:
It looks like a medieval style marriage, Knight to Lady, as arranged by Mab, the knight's queen. Therefore, there won't be any latex, at least not until a heir is conceived, cementing the relationship between the two nations. That said, it'd be foolish to assume that Mab would let her knight - who she invested quite a few years in shaping, and who commands a significant amount of Winter power- become a slave to anyone (else), even an ally.
In Changes, Lea put the demon part of Susan an Martin to sleep. It's not much of a stretch to say that Mab could teach Harry a similar technique, or at least nudge him to obtain the knowledge for himself. This way they'd be able to consumate their marriage, and everybody wins.
I kinda like Lara and Harry as a match. They've always had a bit of chemistry.
The question was tongue in cheek.  Like a lot of things around here it took on a life of it's own. Which has been kinda fun. Whatever Mab can do Lea is described as the Vampire Muse in one of the books. Butcher is pretty good so if he's on the day he writes it it should be interesting.

Offline Mr. Mouse

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2022, 08:30:33 PM »
I still don't think so, simply because both Lara and Thomas seemed to think that if she truly loved the guy she went off with there was an excellent chance that the Hunger would be burnt out.  I don't think there would have been a chance if it had even gotten a taste.  I think that fact that her lips blistered so quickly, Harry was protected and she couldn't feed.  I think there is a fine line, yes, in prep for the feeding the vamp gives pleasure, that makes the victim vulnerable.  It was close, but Harry was still fighting her, poor little puppy Mouse was beside himself.. Had he been full grown Inari would have ended up the victim.

Agreed that the Hunger didn't get fully going, and that allowed Inari to kill it when she and her true love, Gawain Commando finally consummated their relationship.

Offline Mr. Mouse

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2022, 09:18:43 PM »
Looking through Bigfoot on Campus again just now, I think by Dresden Files standards Connie and Irwin demonstrate true love for each other, but ... are not triggering the burn response in Connie. Perhaps without the corruption of her soul (and her Hunger) by the death of her first lover she won't ever have that reaction.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2022, 11:35:14 PM »
Looking through Bigfoot on Campus again just now, I think by Dresden Files standards Connie and Irwin demonstrate true love for each other, but ... are not triggering the burn response in Connie. Perhaps without the corruption of her soul (and her Hunger) by the death of her first lover she won't ever have that reaction.

Or more likely since her first "victim" was her true love, it simply burned out the Hunger.  If I remember correctly that is what Thomas and Lara were hoping for with Inari.  That is why Lord Raith is such a turd, he explains none of this to his children, puts them in a compromised position when the Hunger is mature enough to begin to feed. Without realizing what is happening to them, they feed until the victim dies.  The Hunger is then strong enough to take over and the parasitic symbiotic relationship begins, the host no longer has the option not to feed. 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2022, 08:49:52 AM »
The question was tongue in cheek.  Like a lot of things around here it took on a life of it's own. Which has been kinda fun.
In that case, I'd suggest that Harry picks up a decent supply of Rohypnol. Problem solved :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2022, 08:51:13 AM »
So, after one year Lara figures out how to get rid of Harry's true love protection.  She probably figures out how to do this within a week after the events in Battle Ground, but for a variety of reasons; that aren't important to this post, she can't implement her plan immediately.  However, it was quite clear in Peace Talks that Harry and Lara like each other.  I mean they like each other beyond simply admiring each others abilities and beyond Lara's White Court mojo to influence Harry.  Mab told Harry that he has a year to accept the union and many things can happen in a year.

Just before the wedding an event; or series of events, created by (fill in the blank bad guy), push Harry and Lara to their limits.  They both end up selflessly risking their lives for each other and both somehow survive.  After this, Lara's plan succeeds and Harry is no longer protected by Murphy's love, but on their wedding night she is still burned when touching Harry because Harry and Lara truly love each other.

It's exactly the kind of thing Jim would do.  Harry remains sexually frustrated.  Lara can't afford to let anyone in the White Court know that she can't feed on Harry.  Harry's closest friends, allies and enemies; plus the White Council, will be absolutely convinced that Harry is completely under Lara's control.  On top of that, to protect Lara from a potential White Court revolt, Harry would play along that Lara controls him; at least while other White Court vamps are around.

Now I know there is the three-way solution that Justine and Thomas used and I suppose that could work for Lara and Harry, but knowing Harry something would go wrong with that plan.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2022, 10:12:33 AM »
As hilarious as watching Lara panic because loving someone is a level of weakness she would never afford herself and watching Harry angst because "what kind of monster am I to love/be loved by someone like Lara"...

I really don't know that it works with the characters as they are. Both are a little to jaded, and there are parts of Lara that I genuinely don't think Harry could ever accept. She's a pretty human monster, but she's still a monster.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2022, 11:34:20 AM »
And there are parts of Harry capable of being a monster.

For Rudy his nightmares wear the face of Harry Dresden.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2022, 04:25:48 AM »
  “I mean, if he’s married to another, it can’t really be pure love. Jenny’s claim on him would prevent the kiss from lifting the spell.”

One could argue, based on this, that Harry marrying Lara would similarly annul his protection from Murphy. And conveniently, there's a wedding coming up. Now Jenny is a Sidhe not a Vamp, so it might not be valid to analogise these scenarios. But it is definitely suggestive.

I think the rules are different for the fae than for the whamps.

For the whamps, it's a physical law (or metaphysical I guess!), a plain simple fact of their biology... or bio-energetics... or magical biology... or something like that...

For the fae it's much more about the specifics of any deals and about the letter of the law... specifically, marriage contracts, the oath ("I take thee to be my lawfully wedded wife... forsaking all others...") &c.  An oath like that is enough for a faerie to drive a faerie-law Crawler-Transporter through!   (if you dunno the C-T, see here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zChTY_VVOKc   and check from 6second mark onward (for scale), where a shipping-container in the foreground enters the frame from the left side)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2022, 04:35:29 AM »
I still don't think so, simply because both Lara and Thomas seemed to think that if she truly loved the guy she went off with there was an excellent chance that the Hunger would be burnt out.  I don't think there would have been a chance if it had even gotten a taste.

I think we are dealing with extreme/unusual corner-cases here... maybe even Jim hasn't considered all of these odd nooks and crannies of the Dresdenverse!

That said, I don't think a "taste" could have protected a White's Hunger-Demon from a first full feeding from a beloved; the Hunger would have died, burnt-out... but AFAIK there's no WoJ clarifying, and the DV canon doesn't speak clearly to this corner.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2022, 04:52:43 AM »
Just before the wedding an event; or series of events, created by (fill in the blank bad guy), push Harry and Lara to their limits.  They both end up selflessly risking their lives for each other and both somehow survive.  After this, Lara's plan succeeds and Harry is no longer protected by Murphy's love, but on their wedding night she is still burned when touching Harry because Harry and Lara truly love each other.

It's exactly the kind of thing Jim would do.  Harry remains sexually frustrated.  Lara can't afford to let anyone in the White Court know that she can't feed on Harry.  Harry's closest friends, allies and enemies; plus the White Council, will be absolutely convinced that Harry is completely under Lara's control.  On top of that, to protect Lara from a potential White Court revolt, Harry would play along that Lara controls him; at least while other White Court vamps are around ...

That is terrible.  And you're right, it is the kind of thing Jim would do to Harry!

But...

... I really don't know that it works with the characters as they are. Both are a little to jaded, and there are parts of Lara that I genuinely don't think Harry could ever accept. She's a pretty human monster, but she's still a monster.
I think this is correct.  Lara is too accepting of her monstrosity, Harry is still fighting too much against monsters.

But, turnabout again... we know Lara does have really good elements in her -- love of family, personal honor, etc.  I suspect she wistfully wishes she weren't a monster; I think she enjoys vicariously that Thomas experiences True Love, and has found a way to feed without murdering; I think she admires Harry's Fighting the Good Fight choices.  She just thinks they are hopelessly naive.  She thinks that the only way they even survive is because she is in charge of the Whamps, with her "soft power" policies and protection of them.

IF it turned out that Harry could show her a way to operate at highest whamp levels of personal power/magic/energy and at top-tier of Whamp politics (yet still following the moral path that Thomas and Harry forged)... she might be made a genuine "good guy(gal)" instead of being just an "enemy of my enemy."

It would kind of echo the Harry-redeems-Lash story-arc, however, and I don't know Jim would do that.

... Now I know there is the three-way solution that Justine and Thomas used and I suppose that could work for Lara and Harry, but knowing Harry something would go wrong with that plan.
  I'm also pretty sure Jim isn't going to suddenly give Harry an incredible overload of hot sex with multiple partners.  That... isn't quite Jim's M.O. when dealing with Harry!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 04:54:52 AM by g33k »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2022, 05:13:01 AM »
... What we don't know is if Jim has plans to do much with this info before Harry ends all Hunger. And whether that last will occur after having destroyed the Black Court or before, though I think after.

Harry Dresden, destroyer of all three Western vampire courts (only the Jade remains).

Do we have any WoJ that Dresden gets to eliminate all 3 Courts of vamp, or end all Hunger?  Or is that just WAGish fantheory?  We know how much he hates the Blampires, and if he still has access to Kemmler's Word he might even be able to do something about that...

I've seen the theory that he might get access to Raith-Senior's magical library, which is apparently Something Special; that might give him insight into a Whamp-wide weakness.

Also, as a minor issue: WOJ is there are actually seven Vampire Courts (Ramp/Whamp/Blamp, Jade + 3 more afaik un-named (and miniscule in scope/power)).

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2022, 10:36:21 AM »
Jim has said no more surprise kids of Harry. But the expectation of this marriage is a planned child. So, is Harry going to have a Whamp child? And how much more will it break Eb's heart to have a whamp grandchild and a whamp great-grandchild?
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2022, 01:44:50 PM »
Jim has said no more surprise kids of Harry. But the expectation of this marriage is a planned child. So, is Harry going to have a Whamp child? And how much more will it break Eb's heart to have a whamp grandchild and a whamp great-grandchild?

Oh I hope not, and I hope this whole "marriage" idea goes the way of the Carrier Pigeon. There are enough loose ends already and why dilute the story further with this?  Eb is already upset about Thomas, so what is the point of making him more upset if we have no clue as to why? It distracts further from what is supposed to be the main story line. 

Oh and one more thing, though I get that they aren't blood related, but since Lara is the sister of Thomas, so in effect Harry is being asked to marry his sister..
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 02:18:17 PM by Mira »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2022, 04:28:40 PM »
First, a baby doesn't seem to be the purpose. When Mab turns down Harry's suggestion the she marry Lara, Mab doesn't cite the inability to produce a child as a reason, rather she says choices she made as a mortal made the match incompatible. She then says this was what the Knight was designed for.