Author Topic: Coins and Choices  (Read 5195 times)

Offline hiddendotgif

• Participant
    • View Profile
Coins and Choices
« on: March 18, 2022, 11:14:18 AM »
I have a couple things that I have been thinking about regarding the Coins.

1- If Harry were to pick up a new coin, which do you think it'd be and why?
2- What would happen if someone took up multiple coins? Would the Fallen deck it out for who gets to be the main one in the holder's head?
3- I don't know if it's been said how durable the coins are. I don't imagine they're indestructible, so what would happen to the Fallen if the coin were destroyed? Alternatively, if the coins are instead highly durable, what non-conventional uses could they serve? I was thinking a magical bullet of sorts; Harry and his kinetic energy storing and such could release it on the coin, with no need for gunpowder or fancy bullets.
"Be the chaos you want to see in the world" - Mollymauk

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Coins and Choices
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 12:49:40 PM »
I have a couple things that I have been thinking about regarding the Coins.

1- If Harry were to pick up a new coin, which do you think it'd be and why?
2- What would happen if someone took up multiple coins? Would the Fallen deck it out for who gets to be the main one in the holder's head?
3- I don't know if it's been said how durable the coins are. I don't imagine they're indestructible, so what would happen to the Fallen if the coin were destroyed? Alternatively, if the coins are instead highly durable, what non-conventional uses could they serve? I was thinking a magical bullet of sorts; Harry and his kinetic energy storing and such could release it on the coin, with no need for gunpowder or fancy bullets.

I think Marcone has the coin that Harry would even be remotely interested in.  However having said that, I doubt the Harry would consider it after his experience with Lasciel. 

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 11:39:38 PM »
1.Yeah if it wasn't Lasciel it would be Namshiel.
2.As for multiple coins I imagine it'd be similar to Thomas if he had picked up a coin or the winter mantle and he had that in addition to his own demon.
3.There's a scene in the X Men where Magneto uses a necklace to cut the throats of a bunch of soviets' cops is what comes to mind for me.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 01:02:54 AM »
Harry didn’t even try to destroy Lasciel’s coin, it would take something with a greater power than a Fallen Angel. Uriel has that power but can’t use it. I doubt Hades has that power. I doubt Ethnui has that power.

Now in multiple cultures you have the trope of placing pennies on a dead man’s eyes, but what if instead you placed a Denarius on the Eye? Would/could that destroy it and the Fallen Angel? Probably, eventually. That and the Spear gave Namshiel pause for thought, not for his host, but for himself.

Harry has the tools to kill angels. He is the Penny flatterer of Fate. Nickel heads beware, he knows how to kill Nicky AND Anduriel.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 10:52:52 AM »
Harry has the tools to kill angels. He is the Penny flatterer of Fate. Nickel heads beware, he knows how to kill Nicky AND Anduriel.

Nicky, yes, he knows how to kill him.  But Anduriel?  No, he hasn't the power to do that, if the coins and their inhabitants could be destroyed, it would have been done long ago.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 12:04:00 PM »
Oh you could probably use the Eye of Balor (which predates the coins) to kill an Angel, I just wouldn’t want to be anywhere in the same universe when it was attempted, the primordial power released would likely destroy the Earth. However no one has ever got Harry to cease his destructive bent when he is set on something. I am just glad his initial thought wasn’t destruction.

“The Earth was on Fire and it was my fault.”

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 03:10:20 PM »
“The Earth was on Fire and it was my fault.”

All that's about is Harry Dresden giving himself too much credit, he tends to do that.. ::)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 03:41:52 PM »
Well he is a Destroyer, if anyone can kill an Angel it would be Harry.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 06:08:30 PM »
Well he is a Destroyer, if anyone can kill an Angel it would be Harry.

Maybe that is what he was supposed to be, but when Margaret chose his father to be his father, that all changed.  Don't get me wrong, Harry can be a bad ass, but he is no destroyer.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 11:21:35 PM »
He has the potential, but Battle Ground proved he will not live up to that potential, the most important battle wasn’t in Chicago, it was in Harry’s head and Sanya and Butters won, and Rudy lost.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2022, 07:13:24 AM »
I'd say he won't live DOWN to that potential, the crazed megalomaniacal killer.
Power to destroy but he chooses his spots. Like Uriel with more Free Will.

I don't think you could destroy a Coin if you threw it into the middle of a supernova. (Betelgeuse supposedly has less than 100K years left... then again, it could have blown 100 years ago and we don't know yet. Maybe ask Uriel. He likely knows)

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2022, 09:18:53 AM »
I think the only thing we've seen that could destroy a coin and it's inhabitant is the Spear.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2022, 06:39:03 PM »
I suspect the Spear can separate Angel and coin, effectively taking the Angel out of the game. Same type of energy of creation,  so not destruction. The Eye is a different type of energy of the same magnitude so more likely to destroy. The Spear could be used without the type of blowback the use of the Eye would engender. Who knows, it might even reverse the Fallen status.

Wouldn’t that be terrifying for Nicky and Anduriel? Is that why he was after the Spear

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2022, 11:46:59 PM »
I suspect the Spear can separate Angel and coin, effectively taking the Angel out of the game. Same type of energy of creation,  so not destruction. The Eye is a different type of energy of the same magnitude so more likely to destroy. The Spear could be used without the type of blowback the use of the Eye would engender. Who knows, it might even reverse the Fallen status.

Wouldn’t that be terrifying for Nicky and Anduriel? Is that why he was after the Spear

No, that wasn't why Nic was after the Spear, who ever holds the Spear cannot be conquered, or something like that, Hitler was looking for it as well.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2022, 09:39:04 AM »

I don't know if even the Eye could destroy one... I would guess it depends on who made the Coin. If TWG - likely indestructible, even to the Eye. They speak of the Swords being able to pierce even Titanic Bronze, and they are wielded by humans, though it might take a more powerful wielder to kill Ethniu with it, but if a Sword could destroy a coin.,.. I have to think that it would have been done at some point.

But.. who DID make the Coins? The idea passes they are NOT prisons for the Denarians, but the Denarians or the like MADE them. They are to be distributed among humans to gain power and corrupt humans. The Denarians are using them as a conduit to get into the world, and go voluntarily. So the Spear won't separate Damned and denarius - they want to be there, though maybe they can be driven out. I think the Fallen status remains. I think that status can only be lifted by TWG.  Possibly it could banish THAT Fallen from a Coin, and leave that Fallen unable to contact Earth. But maybe another Fallen can then hop into the Coin. "Lasciel, you are out - Belial, do you want to try?"

There's a few supposed Spears out there, claiming to be the real one. Unconquerable? Then I guess the one the Holy Roman Empire had wasn't real.... some also say the power is in seeing the future, not necessarily winning...  else, wouldn't Harry have just had to show up and stick it in Ethniu? Harry can't be conquered then, right? But maybe Harry thinks that, and the Spear telepathically tells him, "Nope. Try it and die. Come up with a Plan B" but doesn;'t tell him what to do.