Author Topic: Question of the day.  (Read 12493 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Question of the day.
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2022, 10:34:58 PM »
For Harry to know Butcher must know. And the smart money is on Butcher not having a clue until he writes it. And even when he does, he dissembles. In Battle Ground and Peace Talks he adds a new layer, Demonreach, suggesting that he is concealing something. Which was really never in doubt.

Could Harry's memories have been messed with? Sure.  But it's much easier to just lie to you, which Butcher does.  He likes to use Bob this way.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2022, 10:59:55 PM »
Things Harry is/was incurious of:-

1. The Fae
2. The Starborn
3. Bob’s origin
4. His family
5. Mister

These seem to be all linked together, remember Harry was always more curious about the Swords than any of these subjects until triggered, he researched Knights to figure out they were all the descendants of kings, but had no interest in finding out more about his family? That doesn’t make sense unless he was under a geas.

Oh I wouldn't say he is incurious, it is just that nobody wants to tell him anything.. He has asked several questions about being star born and what it means.. To people who should be in the know too... And they don't tell him squat.

Have you ever done much detective work?  Harry cannot use a computer, and even if he did, it takes more than a Goggle inquiry to find out about his family, it takes time. Harry hasn't had a whole lot of that at any time.

Do you honestly think that Lea is going to set him down and teach The Fae 101?  Harry has that much, anything more involves a lot more bargaining, and we've seen where that has gotten him..

You really think Harry hasn't asked Bob?  I think he has tried, I seem to remember in Grave Peril, at least he tried to find out what the problem with Mab was.. Bob refused to answer, and remember the last time Harry ordered him to remember what was best left forgot?  Harry was nearly killed.

Mister most likely just a huge old cat, I doubt that he has any maulk in him.. That could be resolved with a DNA test I suppose, but would it show up?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2022, 11:41:01 PM »
Harry did not ask BOB (or Bonnie) about what being an starborn meant. They are literally a source of knowledge, and he did not ask. He did not ask Eb either. And yes, he asked LTW and Bigfoot but that was only in PT/BG, when he was aware of him being a starborn for many years before. He could ask Mac too.
He did not ask Gray more about Margaret either. In fact, I do not think he even asked Thomas how Margaret was before she left Raith.

I agree about the Fae and Bob's origin. He tried to get information, but it is not easy. And I do not think he has any reason to think there is anything to know about Mister. He rescued him, he has him since he was young, that is all. But I definitely think he should ask more questions about the starborn (especially now that he knows about Drakul y Listen) and his own family. (Side note, I intensely dislike that there is a character called Listen and another called Listens to wind).

What I mean about Harry being a detective is not that he had the ways to find answers but that he should be naturally curious, as a professional trait.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2022, 12:57:08 AM »
Have you heard my Mister conspiracy theory? He is a Malk Changeling placed for Harry to find, by Lea or Mab because it plays into the treasured memory of his father finding a kitten and nursing it back to health.

The lack of a tail hides his Malk heritage whereas his large size and slow aging (Mister is 18) do not.

Harry may be aware of this subconsciously to some degree. In the Mister Microfiction his food bowl says the Emperor (Mouses Chewbacca) who was a Sith Lord. Harry made that very joke in Cold Days about Cat Sith. Mister in that Microfiction refers to humans as ‘monkeys’ an epithet used by the Fae when humans call them fairies. Toot refers to him as Dread Beast Mister the wee folk are deathly afraid of Malks. Mister looks just like himself in Harry’s Third Eye, which would be consistent with a Changeling not making a decision, happy as they are. Mab once had him on her lap in the apartment making a fuss of him. Mouse is bullied by him, and Mouse is awesome, a semi divine.

Mister as it turns out is probably a lousy spy, he immediately adopted his own agenda as king of the apartment, because cat. Lea understands dogs better. Mab is the cat person.

I am hoping this theory will be confirmed or denied in the new short story featuring a team up of Toot and Mister in the anthology Heroic Hearts. In the alternative perhaps Jim just wanted James Marsters to do silly voices (Mister, Toot, Lacuna) for a prolonged period when the audio book of the next collection is recorded. If anyone would know what Mister is exactly its Toot. They have been playing Cat and Toot for a decade and half.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2022, 05:47:28 AM »
The lack of a tail hides his Malk heritage whereas his large size and slow aging (Mister is 18) do not.

Being 18 doesn't prove anything, the last few cats who have consented to share my space have lived to eighteen and beyond fairly hail and hearty, mice, rats, and birds, beware.. I have friends with 20 year old cats, Harry does mention that Mister is beginning to show his age..
Harry did not ask BOB (or Bonnie) about what being an starborn meant. They are literally a source of knowledge, and he did not ask. He did not ask Eb either. And yes, he asked LTW and Bigfoot but that was only in PT/BG, when he was aware of him being a starborn for many years before. He could ask Mac too.
Harry has only known about it the last few years, and he has been mostly dead or very busy all of that time.  Bob has been with Butters the last few years and Bonnie thinks milk is alive and cannot get her pancake recipes organized yet.  Eb so much as told him in Peace Talks that he wasn't going to tell him, he wasn't allowed to tell him. 
He did not ask Gray more about Margaret either. In fact, I do not think he even asked Thomas how Margaret was before she left Raith.
He might be afraid of what he finds out.  He has a picture of her that he is holding close..
I think now that he realizes being a star born is rather important, and Eb did tell him some things, I think he will find out more as the story progresses.
What I mean about Harry being a detective is not that he had the ways to find answers but that he should be naturally curious, as a professional trait.
But it is one thing to be curious, which Harry is, and obsessed, which he really doesn't have time for.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2022, 06:44:55 AM »
Harry is starting to wonder about Mister’s age, not that Mister shows any sign of aging. Even Harry can do basic arithmatic and knows 18 is a good age for a cat, subconsciously this may be worrying Harry, that Mister is a hale and hearty tomcat despite being 18 years old.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2022, 07:25:18 AM »
Harry has known that he is an starborn since Lash,  I believe. Which means several years. Heck, he could have even asked Uriel.
And I agree curious and obsessed are different things but Harry is neither.

CT, I believe Mira is right. Harry mentioned Mister showing his age. But who knows, perhaps the new short story shows something different.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2022, 09:34:54 AM »
Mister most likely just a huge old cat, I doubt that he has any maulk in him.. That could be resolved with a DNA test I suppose, but would it show up?
Heresy!
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2022, 10:27:19 AM »
That is interesting. I bet than when outside a living being, the faerie DNA disappears.
Missing you, Md 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2022, 10:58:11 AM »
That is interesting. I bet than when outside a living being, the faerie DNA disappears.

Butters would know.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2022, 02:46:09 PM »
Heresy!

What?  That Mister is not a Malk but a kick ass vanilla tom cat?  What's wrong with that? Talk about heresy! :o

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2022, 03:03:08 PM »
What?  That Mister is not a Malk but a kick ass vanilla tom cat?  What's wrong with that? Talk about heresy! :o
MSTR is fully cat and fully white god. That is the mystery of the holy duality. No room for a malk.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2022, 03:05:27 PM »
Arjan is the Pope of the Church of Mister is the White God.

This appears to have been disproved by the Mister Microfiction, which as it actually was a comic Arjan will doubtlessly claim is not canon.

The argument was that if Mouse is semi-divine (confirmed by Uriel) then as Mister bosses Mouse around, Mister must be full divine.

One can argue that Mister has incorporated a lot of Faerie DNA into himself, through the ingestion of Little Folk, but I doubt it’s Faerie dust Harry is removing from Misters litter tray. If one eats food from the Never Never, the molecules become incorporated into the body and vanish if they cease to have magic empowering them. The same may be true in reverse, eat enough Faerie flesh, your body become a Faerie. This means Mister has a second route to Malkdom.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2022, 06:07:38 PM »
MSTR is fully cat and fully white god. That is the mystery of the holy duality. No room for a malk.
My cats Harry and Thomas concur.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2022, 06:24:54 PM »
My cats Harry and Thomas concur.

I have four cats and each considers themselves to be the White God.