Author Topic: Question of the day.  (Read 12585 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Question of the day.
« on: February 09, 2022, 03:32:53 AM »
Was Malcolm a Scion of an Angel? Eb appears to have seen him under the sight.
"She met your father. A man. A mortal, without powers, without influence, without resources. But a man with a good soul, like few I have ever seen. I believe that she fell in love with him.
That is a weird description, like something you would say about a saint.  Malcolm is also the only character that speaks to Harry from the afterlife.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Question of the day.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 05:46:07 AM »
Was Malcolm a Scion of an Angel? Eb appears to have seen him under the sight.That is a weird description, like something you would say about a saint.  Malcolm is also the only character that speaks to Harry from the afterlife.

I've often thought that, or more in the line of Sir Galahad, the purest and noblest knight of the round table.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 12:00:25 PM »
I believe that Malcolm may have been like Father Forthill, effectively a saint without the formal canonisation, just doing good and making the world a better place in a 1,000 small ways each day, making him very rare. This would suggest that upon his death he also received the treatment being reserved for the good father, in shepherding his soul, effectively in D&D catergories a cleric (opposed to the Knights who are Paladins, although Michael a retired Paladin is now also a cleric, and Butters was a cleric who became a Paladin.)

We actually know nothing of Malcolm’s faith, only his deeds and the opinions of those who knew him. But if Malcom was a Saint then he was definitely marked for special attention by the same forces who were after Father Forthill’s soul, quite apart from his relationship with Margaret and Harry.

We know Lord Raith was after Margaret, and that several groups within and without the White Council were after Harry as a Starborn, but someone else was probably after Malcolm, and they may have allied with others to achieve both their ends.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 12:16:28 PM »

Malcolm is the reason Harry won't be and isn't like the other starborn we have seen.  It is repeatedly stated, he has his father's heart.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 12:37:11 PM »
Harry had his father first and foremost, Christmas Eve reminded Harry of this when he needed this most, at his lowest ebb. It is Malcolm I believe who prevented Harry from being a Destroyer, initially, re-inforced in Grave Peril by Michael, and later on at various times by Shiro, Sanya, Murphy, Butters and Father Forthill. Each of those people reminded him of his father, not physically, but because of what they are.

Mirror Harry diverged from Harry Prime in Grave Peril, he almost certainly broke with Michael, the Knights, Murphy and Father Forthill then, which is why that universe is doomed.

I wonder if Harry had had the opportunity to soulgaze Malcolm or view him through his third eye, what he would have seen? I like to think his father with a dove on each shoulder each flapping a single wing in perfect symmetry.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 02:44:40 PM »

I also think the whole point is that Margaret didn't go along with the Council's plan to create their own starborn weapon until she met Malcolm.  This was her way of foiling their plans, Harry just didn't inherit his goodness, he also inherited his independence. 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 03:09:44 PM »
I think Margaret was the source of the plan. In Changes Butcher has Eb tell Harry about a meeting with Raith, Arianna Ortega, Himself and Margaret. 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 09:34:12 PM »
I think Margaret was the source of the plan. In Changes Butcher has Eb tell Harry about a meeting with Raith, Arianna Ortega, Himself and Margaret.

Yes, but it isn't until she meets and hooks up with Malcolm that she makes her decision, which is after the above meeting in Changes.  Which makes Eb's violent reaction to learning about Thomas in Peace Talks kind of weird..  Had he no clue at all that Margaret and Raith might have been sleeping together?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 09:59:16 PM »
Everybody assumes she met Malcolm after the meeting, when the safer assumption might be to assume she met him as a result of the meeting. Holding open the possibility that meeting him was what broke her free of Raith. I've always thought the possibility that she was pregnant when she ran was high. By the time she became pregnant she had fallen in love with Malcolm.  Since she knew when the baby had to be born to become a Starborn she entered Faerie and manipulated her time there to make sure the pregnancy ended at the right moment.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 06:08:35 AM »
Everybody assumes she met Malcolm after the meeting, when the safer assumption might be to assume she met him as a result of the meeting. Holding open the possibility that meeting him was what broke her free of Raith. I've always thought the possibility that she was pregnant when she ran was high. By the time she became pregnant she had fallen in love with Malcolm.  Since she knew when the baby had to be born to become a Starborn she entered Faerie and manipulated her time there to make sure the pregnancy ended at the right moment.

I have to go back and read the passage, but what I remember is Eb had dinner with Raith and Margaret from time to time..  Something a bit more casual than business, observing how Eb and Margaret interacted tipped Arianna off that they were father and daughter. Why would Margaret have met Malcolm as a result of having dinner with her father, Lord Raith, and Arianna?

Lash in White Night tells Harry that his mother found the strength to leave Lord Raith for a reason.
That reason was Malcolm, she had fallen in love with him and because of his goodness decided to conceive a star child with him.  In the soul gaze with Thomas when he talks Margaret, she says she is sorry for the burden she and Malcolm placed on him.  In his dream conversation with Malcolm I believe it was in Dead Beat, Malcolm says pretty much the same thing, but wouldn't elaborate on what he meant.  No, it was a pre-planned pregnancy and Malcolm was very much in on the pre-planning.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 07:25:33 AM »
If Malcolm wasn't a Saint or an Angel before he is now. He shows up in Dead Beat during Harry's dream 'because the otherside cheated' i.e. Lasciel/Lash started appearing to Harry both herself and as Sheila. It's classic Uriel counter espionage against the Denarians. Why waste power when one small act of kindness can guide Harry through.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2022, 08:56:50 AM »
Another example is the Coffee mug in Christmas Eve, again a subtle nudge of memory by Harry’s backers.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 09:06:35 AM »
You don't die and become an Angel and Saints are created by the Vatican.  I suppose it could be a response to Lash. I'll have to consider it.

Malcolm never speaks to Harry in the Christmas story.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 10:28:14 AM »
You don't die and become an Angel and Saints are created by the Vatican.  I suppose it could be a response to Lash. I'll have to consider it.

Malcolm never speaks to Harry in the Christmas story.

Right but my point and theory is Malcolm works for Uriel possibly in the same department as Jack Murphy and Sir Stuart. Shade remnants whose souls aren't quite done.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 11:43:02 AM »
Right but my point and theory is Malcolm works for Uriel possibly in the same department as Jack Murphy and Sir Stuart. Shade remnants whose souls aren't quite done.

I doubt it because Malcolm isn't a suicide, unless Margaret also works for him and they can be together.