Author Topic: Fairy Godmothers  (Read 7137 times)

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Fairy Godmothers
« on: January 16, 2022, 01:10:20 AM »
We know that Lea is Harry's Fairy Godmother due to a bargain that Margaret struck with her. However, the specifics are unknown to us currently. Harry benefits from Lea's protection garden in the Nevernever, when Lea continued Molly's apprenticeship, and by holding onto Margaret's red gem. Outside of these three areas, I can't think of any time when Lea did something to help Harry without Harry making a bargain of his own. So my questions are 1) What does it take to get a Fairy Godmother and can any Fae become one and 2) Margaret purposefully made a bargain with Lea, what benefits (other than those mentioned above) have or may come from said bargain?

Online Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Fairy Godmothers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 03:53:09 AM »
There is a WOJ that Margaret’s bargain isn’t fully realised by Harry, and that when he finds out he will want to murder Lea.

Given firstborn trading proclivities, I think Margaret traded protection for her unborn second child for the firstborn daughter of her line, who would be Maggie.

WOJ also has it that Maggie might not be a Wizard but something else.  I wonder if Maggie is destined to be the next Leansidhe. That would make Harry want to murder Lea, but might hasten the process.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 04:32:05 AM »
There is a WOJ that Margaret’s bargain isn’t fully realised by Harry, and that when he finds out he will want to murder Lea.I fu
I figure she hid Margaret from the White Council and everybody else until Harry was born.  She let Malcolm have his time before she did him.  Malcolm might have been White Court and Lea freed him from his demon.  That last would be fan service to me.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 06:47:41 PM »
One tends to forget the fairy (well Fallen Angel) Godfather of Chicago, Gentleman Johnny Marcone.

I do not believe he and Lea have ever shared a scene, a pity really as both are totally obsessed with Harry.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 07:41:58 PM »
One tends to forget the fairy (well Fallen Angel) Godfather of Chicago, Gentleman Johnny Marcone.

I do not believe he and Lea have ever shared a scene, a pity really as both are totally obsessed with Harry.

I don't believe that Marcone is obsessed with Harry.  Or rather I don't think he was in the past, I think they both used one another but that isn't the same thing. 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 11:49:01 PM »
If you read Even Hand, you actually see things from Marcone’s point of view, and yes he is obsessed with Harry, even where Harry doesn’t feature in his narrative, the only person he likely fears, as so much of what he does is predicated upon Harry.

The amusing point is that it isn’t shared, Harry hardly thinks of Marcone unless he is directly involved in a case and then it is hatred.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 11:42:59 AM »
The amusing point is that it isn’t shared, Harry hardly thinks of Marcone unless he is directly involved in a case and then it is hatred.

It's been a while since I read Even Hand.  I always thought that up until Changes, when he refused to help, while Harry thought him despicable on many levels he still call on him to help him on several occasions, and he did.  On Marcone's part it isn't so much Harry as the power that Harry represents, that Marcone wanted access to, and got.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 01:17:45 PM »
The bullets which killed a hero and which a require a Valkyrie 2 weeks to make are designed to go through Harry’s powerful shield and duster and kill Harry. No wonder even Ethnui felt them.

Originally Marcone had a single bullet in Even Hand (which also has lightweight doors because Harry) but in Battle Field he had a whole bandolier. Between Even Hand and Battle Field, Harry was shot by the Hell Hound and survived, so clearly a single bullet won’t do the job, as proved in Battle Field when Harry was shot in the chest (again) but was (fortunately?) struck by lightening immediately cauterising the wound.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 02:13:54 PM »
The bullets which killed a hero and which a require a Valkyrie 2 weeks to make are designed to go through Harry’s powerful shield and duster and kill Harry. No wonder even Ethnui felt them.

Originally Marcone had a single bullet in Even Hand (which also has lightweight doors because Harry) but in Battle Field he had a whole bandolier. Between Even Hand and Battle Field, Harry was shot by the Hell Hound and survived, so clearly a single bullet won’t do the job, as proved in Battle Field when Harry was shot in the chest (again) but was (fortunately?) struck by lightening immediately cauterising the wound.
My point is, what Marcone was always after was the power of the supernatural, that is why he approached Harry to begin with.  When Harry didn't work out in the way he wanted he found other means, climaxing in accepting Namshiel's coin..  Now that will indeed give him a wizard's power on steroids, but I think the jury is out on whether or not he will get the kind of "partnership" he wants.
Will Marcone/Namshiel be "equal" like Nic/Andriel has mostly been?

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 04:50:41 PM »
With Harry, Marcone made it worse for himself, he found someone he couldn’t buy off or intimidate, but couldn’t kill either (death curse/WhiteCouncil retaliation) and that mean’t Harry worried him worse than anyone.

It was a huge mistake for Marcone to try to buy off Harry, he should have left him alone, and certainly shouldn’t have soul-gazed him.

By signing onto the Accords it gave Marcone a degree of protection against the White Council so again Harry influenced Marcone far more than the other way round.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 04:30:09 PM »
With Harry, Marcone made it worse for himself, he found someone he couldn’t buy off or intimidate, but couldn’t kill either (death curse/WhiteCouncil retaliation) and that mean’t Harry worried him worse than anyone.

It was a huge mistake for Marcone to try to buy off Harry, he should have left him alone, and certainly shouldn’t have soul-gazed him.

By signing onto the Accords it gave Marcone a degree of protection against the White Council so again Harry influenced Marcone far more than the other way round.

I'm thinking eventually Marcone will regret taking up the coin.  While he will love the power that it gives him, he loves calling the shots even more.  He is a mob boss after all, yes, I see some partnership between him and Namshiel, but in the end it is the Fallen that call the shots.  That is a trap that Harry avoided only in my opinion because of that accidental soul gaze back in Death Masks that he had with a Denarian. That is what kept his will strong against Lasciel's influence once he realized what was going on in his head.  I had read somewhere that originally Jim had thought about making Marcone a Holy Knight at some point but changed his mind.  I had thought that was a possibility as well, but the signals changed and it was clear that it would be Butters at some point.  I still think it is possible that Marcone will be redeemed in some way before the end.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 05:01:09 PM »
What if it’s the other way round? Marcone redeems Namshiel causinghis Fallen stays to be reversed.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 06:32:26 PM »
What if it’s the other way round? Marcone redeems Namshiel causinghis Fallen stays to be reversed.

That would also be redemption for Marcone as well, wouldn't it?  However I am not sure if one of the Fallen can be redeemed. :-\  Harry came as close to anybody in pulling it off when he influenced the Shadow of Lasciel became to Lash, but Lasciel didn't change, if anything she got worse.  I think in the case of Fallen Angels, it is up to the Almighty..

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 09:57:18 PM »
Namshiel would seem to be an agent of Lucifer and he owns Marcone since he actually took up the coin.  Mab never forgets and Harry made sure she knows. Marcone is a drug dealing murdering monster who is more or less beyond redemption.  Unless he gets a sword and gives up his criminal empire. Does anybody see that as a possible path forward?

What seems obvious to me is that all mortals are now off the playing field. Hendricks is gone. Murphy is gone. Justine is the face of Nemesis. The Cops are now the Men in Black, Chicago PD is now a farm team. Bring the Supernatural or go home seems to be the new mantra.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 10:24:35 PM »
Or bring the army. I think it was a point made several times in battle ground that large groups of armed people are dangerous. The army being the clearest example, but also the volunteers and the gang neighborhoods.