Author Topic: Fairy Godmothers  (Read 7215 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Fairy Godmothers
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2022, 10:05:50 PM »
The Fallen need to partner up with a mortal being with free will, but not all wills are equal. Some are broken, weak and vacillating easily dominated by their Fallen. Others not so. We have seen Marcone’s will, he cannot be bullied, cajoled or seduced by a Fallen they would have to partner with him on less than equal terms, he can threaten to lay down his coin and he would do it, and place that coin somewhere humans couldn’t get at it for a very, very long time.

Lash started to get to Harry, by subterfuge, when Harry was aware of her he was able to get the upon hand and he changed Lash.

Marcone can dangle in front of Namshiel a couple of things, freedom from Nicky for one and the indulgence of Namshiel’s quest for magical knowledge for another. Both go with Marcone’s interests.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2022, 07:05:21 PM »
The Fallen need to partner up with a mortal being with free will, but not all wills are equal. Some are broken, weak and vacillating easily dominated by their Fallen. Others not so. We have seen Marcone’s will, he cannot be bullied, cajoled or seduced by a Fallen they would have to partner with him on less than equal terms, he can threaten to lay down his coin and he would do it, and place that coin somewhere humans couldn’t get at it for a very, very long time.

Lash started to get to Harry, by subterfuge, when Harry was aware of her he was able to get the upon hand and he changed Lash.

Marcone can dangle in front of Namshiel a couple of things, freedom from Nicky for one and the indulgence of Namshiel’s quest for magical knowledge for another. Both go with Marcone’s interests.

The big difference, of course, is Harry was sparring with a mere Shadow. Marcone has the real deal. I don't imagine Namshiel is anywhere near as easily directed as Lash.

Also I suspect laying down the coin would soon be quite hard for Marcone; he's getting older, and Namshiel will start keeping him going very soon.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2022, 09:59:13 PM »
But Marcone would lay down the coin if he thought he was being controlled, even if it mean’t his death.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2022, 10:14:37 PM »
But Marcone would lay down the coin if he thought he was being controlled, even if it mean’t his death.

Could he? He likes the power, but the cross he may have to carry as a result is not being in control of it.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2022, 09:58:07 AM »
Marcone would not only lay down the coin but would clearly make Namshiel painfully aware that he had foolproof plans for putting the coin out of the reach of humanity forever no “going to the Vatican”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Marcone has dropped his coin once and shown Namshiel his plans as an inducement for his good behaviour with the stick, as well as the carrot of being able to indulge his magical nerdism away from Nicky.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2022, 12:01:37 PM »
Marcone would not only lay down the coin but would clearly make Namshiel painfully aware that he had foolproof plans for putting the coin out of the reach of humanity forever no “going to the Vatican”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Marcone has dropped his coin once and shown Namshiel his plans as an inducement for his good behaviour with the stick, as well as the carrot of being able to indulge his magical nerdism away from Nicky.

It doesn't work that way though.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2022, 04:21:47 PM »
Nicodemus still thinks he is in command.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2022, 05:30:34 PM »
Nicodemus still thinks he is in command.

Yup, and that "partnership" with Andriel is what Lasciel tried to sell Harry on, but he wasn't buying.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2022, 06:34:17 PM »

No Coin>>> No magic and no shadow. Unless Butcher wants to break canon completely. This is well established. Put down the coin and anything the coin brought to the table is put down with it. Marcone isn't a wizard. And you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear. If he puts down the coin no more magic.

And this is Butcher's intent.  You might find this funny, but he has now come full circle. With Murphy dead law enforcement is now back in the antagonist column.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2022, 06:55:29 PM »
Sanya put down his coin, entirely possible.

As for the power? There are other options, (as Harry once opined) such as the Kringle Mantle making him a genuine Faerie Godfather. Mab and Vadderung owe him big time after Chicago

A lot of people have oft declaimed about Marcone mirroring Harry. So this is definitely an option. Besides this would make Ms Demeter Mrs Kringle, and she knows all about the Ho Ho Ho (sorry for the bad taste, but I can’t resist a pun and NEVER apologise for a pun.).

Besides you can just imagine Jim has been saving up Harry calling Marcone a Faerie Godfather for years.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2022, 07:43:13 PM »
Sanya put down his coin, entirely possible.

Not saying that it isn't, but it is also rare enough that it led to Sanya becoming a Holy Knight.  There
is a difference between Sanya and Marcone I think, I don't think Sanya is as power hungry as Marcone is.  As long as Marcone lusts for power, he will keep the coin I think.
As for the power? There are other options, (as Harry once opined) such as the Kringle Mantle making him a genuine Faerie Godfather. Mab and Vadderung owe him big time after Chicago
I don't see Vadderung giving up one of his personal mantles if it is a mantle.  By that I mean it is part of the personae of Odin, I don't think it is something he can give away.  Also as we've seen with Harry's struggles with the Winter Knight's mantle, trading a mantle for a coin doesn't guarantee that Marcone will be in control of it or as a result, himself.
Besides you can just imagine Jim has been saving up Harry calling Marcone a Faerie Godfather for years.

Groan, as long as Harry doesn't wake up with Mouse's severed head beside him in bed... ::)

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2022, 09:54:11 PM »
Sanya isn't the only person to put down a Coin. Harry did it also. Marcone has the will to match theirs, the only question is would it be a situation that warrants it. So far his only saving grace is his refusal to harm innocent children.

You have to believe Marcone has seen John Wick. Mouse and probably anyone living at the Carpenter are off limits unless the the final showdown is already on.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2022, 10:29:06 PM »
Sanya isn't the only person to put down a Coin. Harry did it also. Marcone has the will to match theirs, the only question is would it be a situation that warrants it. So far his only saving grace is his refusal to harm innocent children.

You have to believe Marcone has seen John Wick. Mouse and probably anyone living at the Carpenter are off limits unless the the final showdown is already on.

No, Harry never accepted the coin, though Lasciel tried very hard for him to do it.  He rejected and changed her shadow which was in his head which is harder, Harry is the only one or one of the only ones according to Michael to do it, that is why he was gifted with Soul Fire by Uriel.

My reference to Mouse is a parody of the movie, "The Godfather."  I think that was the reference that C.T. was making about Marcone being a godfather.. I was thinking of the famous scene where the singer wakes up to find the head of a beloved racehorse in his bed.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2022, 11:55:16 PM »
The Kringle Mantle can be transferred on Halloween. It makes Kringle immortal, and Odin must die at Ragnarok.

I think that Marcone already has a list of who has been naughty or nice, at least in Chicago, and is checking it twice.

Just imagine how conflicted Harry would be, the self described Santa fanboy. It would be absolute torture, so that is a route Jim will likely take.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2022, 08:58:56 PM »
The Kringle Mantle can be transferred on Halloween. It makes Kringle immortal, and Odin must die at Ragnarok.

I think that Marcone already has a list of who has been naughty or nice, at least in Chicago, and is checking it twice.

Just imagine how conflicted Harry would be, the self described Santa fanboy. It would be absolute torture, so that is a route Jim will likely take.

Torturing Harry within the confines of the story seems more his gig. Not with any random thing we can come up with.

Marcone might fit the Kringle mantle, as leader of the Wild Hunt, but he does not fit the Santa mantle as the great gift-giver at this time. He'd have to change too.