Author Topic: Harry creates a portal to Demonreach!  (Read 22681 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Harry creates a portal to Demonreach!
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2021, 08:59:04 PM »
Entrances from the Nevernever exist wherever Jim needs them to exist.

Like mirrors, that from Proven Guilty.  From Harry's closet in the Knight's quarters, Cold Days. In the middle of the train station in Small Favor by both the Hobs and the Gruffs. The Gruffs apparently could use the Oak Cluster as a homing beacon to move directly to Harry's current location no matter where he is, Small Favor. The fetches are drawn to a beacon as well, Proven Guilty. And is how the Grey Council gets to Chicken Pizza, Changes.

Mab can not only get to Harry wherever, she can shut down travel better than the TSA, as she shows in Cold Days. I suspect this last is because she is related to Hecate, the Goddess of crossroads and because she controls the Outer Gates, which may enable dimensional travel in some way.  But that is me being me.

Jim of course can create whatever he likes, depending upon the amount of repeated questions he is willing to endure at Conventions.But the Jewel is a sonic screwdriver. In the older longer Doctor Who serials the sonic screwdriver was discontinued as it was too easy to use it to get the writers the Doctor out of a weekly plot hole. With the more modern faster paced revival this isn’t so much of an issue.

A journey through the NeverNever isn’t just a journey from A to B it’s a character or story development point, except for Changes where suddenly Harry acquired the Jewel and had to get from A to B rapidly without major character or plot development. Jim needed to speed up that part of the narrative.

Mab was able to shut down access from Winter to the Never Never and the mortal world to give Harry a head start. She didn’t shut down the Never Never to Chicago. She has control over her realm, no particular control over other parts of the Never Never. The are a lot of gods and deities associated with crossroads and doors.

Summoning depends upon whether the being summoned wants to answer that summons or not and whether that summons is strong enough to override that beings will. Mab wanted to go to Demonreach, going via the summoning circle on summons by the Warden means she didn’t have to fight the Demonreach defences to do it. She had an invitation. Still she took a risk, as Harry could have put her down then if he chose.

Use of a name gets attention, sometimes negative, which Harry is good at.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2021, 09:31:13 PM »
Harry summoned Mab in Cold Days. He used the circle Maeve and Aurora set up and spoke her name three times. That's all it takes if the being called wants to come.

But Harry is the Warden, isn't he.. So that works, but he didn't summon her in Skin Game and she had to use a speed boat..

im of course can create whatever he likes, depending upon the amount of repeated questions he is willing to endure at Conventions.But the Jewel is a sonic screwdriver. In the older longer Doctor Who serials the sonic screwdriver was discontinued as it was too easy to use it to get the writers the Doctor out of a weekly plot hole. With the more modern faster paced revival this isn’t so much of an issue.

For my part I miss the sonic screwdriver, that was part of the fun and I never tired of it over the twenty years or more I've been watching the show..   But guess they want to get relevant, now both the Doctor and the Master are female.. ::)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2021, 10:03:26 PM »
Harry was not wasting time going ro the island. He had to pick up the spear. Without it he could not have bound the titan and it was only with the spear the range was to the Lakeshore. To me it seems like often when people here think Harry is stupid it is because key parts of the story is ignored. At Least in this thread it has been two out of two times.
Harry is a character, so him being stupid doesn't apply.

Just for the record Harry locks down Demonreach in Peace Talks, not before as far as I can tell.  Having the prison eat visitors is like planting a minefield around Leavenworth prison.

Mab is the only character besides Harry that's been inside the prison and Harry was mostly dead when she took him there. I don't think she was summoned and I don't think  Demonreach has a doorbell.

Mab was able to shut down access from Winter to the Never Never and the mortal world to give Harry a head start. She didn’t shut down the Never Never to Chicago. She has control over her realm, no particular control over other parts of the Never Never.
“Indeed,” Sith said. “In fact, this is, for the time being, the only way in or out of Faerie.” I blinked several times. “You mean Winter?” “Faerie,” Sith stated. “All of it.” I choked. “Wait. You mean all of Faerie is on lockdown?”

Butcher, Jim. Cold Days (The Dresden Files, Book 14) (p. 77). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2021, 11:03:56 PM »
Mab rescued Harry in Changes from the Cold and Dark of Lake Michigan (her domain), and we know now that Demonreach has power up to the lakeshore so both would have known of the injury to their Knight/Warden Demonreach needed a Warden and was prepared to tolerate her, and with Harry unconscious Mab was under no threat.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2021, 02:41:23 AM »
Is anyone a match for demon reach. Besides Uriel

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2021, 05:30:37 AM »
Just for the record Harry locks down Demonreach in Peace Talks, not before as far as I can tell.  Having the prison eat visitors is like planting a minefield around Leavenworth prison.

I think it is more about levels of security.. The island got by fine for many years without complete lock down, it just gave off vibs that kept most people away.  Secrecy is important, best way of drawing attention is being an island that no one can step foot on.. The island didn't want to draw attention.  What had just happened in Peace Talks was a good reason for total lock down, so Harry ordered it.
Mab is the only character besides Harry that's been inside the prison and Harry was mostly dead when she took him there. I don't think she was summoned and I don't think  Demonreach has a doorbell.
No, but Alfred isn't stupid either, it was in it's best interest to save it's new keeper, and I doubt that Mab would have gotten beyond the most minimum security room in the place.

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2021, 07:56:03 PM »
We've seen many things (mab, greymen, etc.) get summoned to demonreach, so we know that is possible.  Could Harry work out a means to communicate with Alfred at range and could he (Alfred) "summon" Harry?  The problem with that plan would of course be getting back off of Demonreach without someone to summon you back...

I think it might be possible to adapt the method Marcone used to teleport.  We saw him prepare some spots on the fly and then teleport between them.  It is possible that with a bunch more preparation you could make spots at a greater distance to teleport between.  But I don't like that idea because it does open a huge security gap in Demonreach's defenses.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2021, 08:28:01 PM »
Can somebody summon Harry from the white cancel. Like can Carlos summon Harry then trap him or is that just if Harry's it gets too far gone as a winter night or something different that Mab might be hinting about

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2021, 02:24:30 AM »
Summoning appears to work only from the NeverNever to the mortal world. A being in the Mortal World can avoid being summoned, otherwise we would have seen it used in the files previously.

The exception may be if the summoning is from outside the universe, as this is a way shown for Outsiders to get in and presumably for Harry to be summoned in Mirror Mirror to the Mirrorverse. Other Universes are also technically ‘outside’

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2021, 05:04:37 AM »
Summoning appears to work only from the NeverNever to the mortal world. A being in the Mortal World can avoid being summoned, otherwise we would have seen it used in the files previously.

The exception may be if the summoning is from outside the universe, as this is a way shown for Outsiders to get in and presumably for Harry to be summoned in Mirror Mirror to the Mirrorverse. Other Universes are also technically ‘outside’
Well, we do know from Blood Rites that Outsiders can be summoned, but if I remember correctly only by mortals. 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2021, 09:15:05 AM »
Certainly therefore in the mortal realm and not the Never Never,

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2021, 05:52:13 PM »
Compelling a mortal to appear would break one of the laws of magic and it doesn't seem to matter where the Fae are. The law is about using magic to abrogate free will.  Which is what Molly does to her friends.  Harry summons Toot in the mortal realm.  If you have the true name you can compel the person you are trying to summon. How they get there is on them. Maybe they catch a train from Newark.  Jim lays it out in Storm Front and embellishes thereafter, as needed.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2021, 04:06:19 AM »
I wonder if Demonreach can be summoned from the island

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2021, 05:05:18 AM »
I wonder if Demonreach can be summoned from the island

Technically, yes, you could call when Harry called up Alfred to the shore of Chicago to pick up the Titian as summoning.  However Alfred did say that was the extent of it's range and Harry did hold the Spear of Destiny to goose up his power at the time.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2021, 08:31:08 AM »
Demonreach is Genius loci, a spirit of the place so it will be tethered to a specific location in the mortal world, rather than the NeverNever. Harry summoned it with his Sanctum Invocation (he was fishing for Minnows and hooked Moby Dick) but he was on Demonreach when he did it.

In Ghost Story Demonreach is able to animate a statue in the cemetery but that is voluntary rather than forced through a Summons, and is more akin to a loa possessing a manikin, suggesting Demonreach couldn’t physically manifest that far from the island but only in spirit through an avatar.

I doubt therefore Harry can just summon Demonreach to the Castle with Alfred carrying the Spear or the other weapons.

However could Harry bring part of the island to the Castle? Using materials from Demonreach he should be able to build Little Demonreach and that should allow Harry to not only remotely monitor Demonreach and access it’s Intellectus, from the Castle but to Summon Alfred to Little Demonreach in the Castle as if Alfred were on Demonreach itself. If Alfred can be summoned he can take an entity down, or take Harry back with himself. Harry would then have to figure out getting back though.

If Mohammad cannot go to the Mountain, why not bring the Mountain to Mohammed? Or in this case the Island to Harry.

This is perhaps the most satisfying option, Little Chicago was not a dead end but practice for Little Demonreach. Bob has seen how Demonreach was built, which can be used in the construction of Little Demonreach. Harry has somewhere large enough and secure enough to make Little Demonreach with his ownership of the Castle. Harry will still need to go to Demonreach in person on occasion but less frequently, when it’s not an emergency and should be able to retrieve things and send other people and things there from the Castle.

Only the Warden would be able to use Little Demonreach in this fashion due to the Warden Bond and modelling the Island itself rather than the prison, providing a safeguard.