Author Topic: Marcone and the thorned one  (Read 4041 times)

Offline Beldon

• Participant
    • View Profile
Marcone and the thorned one
« on: October 14, 2021, 01:48:15 PM »
It had long been speculated that Marcone had the coin. Mab even made a point to look at Marcone during the conversation about what weapons could hurt Ethniu. One thought that I have had is what if Marcone only took up the coin for the fight. If he had however been holding the coin in reserve for such a time it would be in character for him. He has the willpower to talk to and use an imprint just as harry did, without taking up the coin. There is no reason he couldn't have gained the necessary knowledge from Namshiel prior to picking up the coin. As a side note, it is also possible for the fallen to take direct action so long as their host "wills" it, meaning Marcone would not have to have the magical skills himself to use them. Just as Butters was using BOB to power artifacts the fallen could be used to fuel Marcone's magic.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Marcone and the thorned one
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 10:22:45 PM »
You are saying that Marcone allowed the Shadow Namshiel in but didn’t fully take up the coin until the battle?

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 12:46:39 AM »
I'm sure Marcone did crazy amount of research before accepting the coin especially with his resources

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 12:59:34 AM »
I'm sure Marcone did crazy amount of research before accepting the coin especially with his resources
He was in the Vatican during Ghost Story for some reason. 

For Marcone to resist Ethniu's aura in PT, I wonder if he required full Namshiel or just Namshiel's shadow.  At the moment, I'm leaning towards full Namshiel.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 02:00:26 AM »
100% Full his body changed like when the fallen possess

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 02:58:08 AM »
It had long been speculated that Marcone had the coin. Mab even made a point to look at Marcone during the conversation about what weapons could hurt Ethniu. One thought that I have had is what if Marcone only took up the coin for the fight. If he had however been holding the coin in reserve for such a time it would be in character for him. He has the willpower to talk to and use an imprint just as harry did, without taking up the coin. There is no reason he couldn't have gained the necessary knowledge from Namshiel prior to picking up the coin. As a side note, it is also possible for the fallen to take direct action so long as their host "wills" it, meaning Marcone would not have to have the magical skills himself to use them. Just as Butters was using BOB to power artifacts the fallen could be used to fuel Marcone's magic.

I'm not sure I agree with this.  Marcone was doing really advanced magic.  I'm not sure he could have if he just allowed the Coin in.  I think he had the Coin for a while.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Beldon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 03:30:58 AM »
Groinkick,
Why? basically, he would just have to take a backseat to Namshiel. If Namshiel knows how to do something then he is capable of doing it so long as his host wills it so. Thus Marcone need not have the ability or knowledge to do something. Just think it and Namshiel does it. We know from interactions with Lashiel and Anduriel that they can do things through hosts without the host actively being a participant. Granted Marcone is not one to merely take a backseat to anyone.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 04:10:35 AM »
Groinkick,
Why? basically, he would just have to take a backseat to Namshiel. If Namshiel knows how to do something then he is capable of doing it so long as his host wills it so. Thus Marcone need not have the ability or knowledge to do something. Just think it and Namshiel does it. We know from interactions with Lashiel and Anduriel that they can do things through hosts without the host actively being a participant. Granted Marcone is not one to merely take a backseat to anyone.

I just think that he worked really well with Namshiel.  Something I don't know would have happened if it was their first joining. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 07:52:43 AM »
Marcone will have taken up the shadow and got it to show him its worth, but probably waited years to take up the coin.

The host can influence the shadow as Harry/Lash proved. Harry was the only previous host not to quickly have the coin fully taken up and the shadow rejoin with the Angel. This rejoining never happened with Harry, due to Lash’s sacrifice, but if Marcone had the Coin for years he was working on the Namshiel all that time with his considerable will. When he finally took it up Namshiel will have had a much changed shadow returned to him, changing him in a way which has not previously occurred, and one not expected

Marcone deliberately and purposefully corrupted a Fallen Angel as an exercise of Free Will. I think he has been successful.

If someone like Michael or Father Forthill took up a shadow and held it for years and then took up the Coin could this lead to a redemption of the Denarian? The ultimate purpose of the Knights of the Sword is to redeem those who who have taken up the coin, like Sanya. What is they can redeem via the shadows the Angel?

The next host for the shadow of Anduriel (Master of Shadows)will be Michael, when he persuades Nicky, sans his tie to drop his coin. That is a reason to for Jim keep Michael alive.his purpose is NOT complete.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 11:15:51 AM »
I played an RPG character who was using Namshiels coin. The way I played it was that Namshiel and my character had specific and extensive contracts limiting his power over my characters Free Will.

Kinda like Butters did with Bob.

Marcone knows and loves contracts so I can see him using similar methods.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 07:19:54 PM »
Marcone will have taken up the shadow and got it to show him its worth, but probably waited years to take up the coin.

I was under the impression that only a wizard can carry around the shadow of a Coin.  A mortal who gives up a Coin will no longer have a connection to it.  Harry who had buried it, and wanted it to go away, was still connected to it.  I thought Michael said something about it to Harry, and how he would eventually be forced to kill Harry, when Harry gave in and accepted it.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 08:19:58 PM »

The host can influence the shadow as Harry/Lash proved. Harry was the only previous host not to quickly have the coin fully taken up and the shadow rejoin with the Angel. This rejoining never happened with Harry, due to Lash’s sacrifice, but if Marcone had the Coin for years he was working on the Namshiel all that time with his considerable will. When he finally took it up Namshiel will have had a much changed shadow returned to him, changing him in a way which has not previously occurred, and one not expected

Marcone deliberately and purposefully corrupted a Fallen Angel as an exercise of Free Will. I think he has been successful.

If someone like Michael or Father Forthill took up a shadow and held it for years and then took up the Coin could this lead to a redemption of the Denarian? The ultimate purpose of the Knights of the Sword is to redeem those who who have taken up the coin, like Sanya. What is they can redeem via the shadows the Angel?

The next host for the shadow of Anduriel (Master of Shadows)will be Michael, when he persuades Nicky, sans his tie to drop his coin. That is a reason to for Jim keep Michael alive.his purpose is NOT complete.
What makes you think that changing the shadow of a Fallen changes the Fallen themselves?  Even if they rejoin later instead of being simply overwritten, the metaphysical weight of a Fallen is much much bigger than the weight of their shadow.  It's not going to redeem them in any appreciable way.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 08:42:52 PM »
We don’t know because the one example prior to this ended with the shadow giving up it existence.

At the very least the shadow Namshiel would have conveyed the information it had ascertained from Marcone back to Namshiel. We know this Namshiel speaks differently to that in SF, so we can posit some change. How extensive? We don’t know. For all we know Marcone has struck a deal to remove Nicky/ Anduriel as leaders of the Denarians, and that is consistent with SG. In retrospect it is clear that SG was as much a revenge ploy by Namshiel as Marcone, the loss of the squires and Deidre undermining Nicky’s leadership within the Denarians as much as how much the world views Nick’s defeat at Marcone’s hands.

It did something.

Offline Beldon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2021, 11:31:41 AM »
I was under the impression that only a wizard can carry around the shadow of a Coin.  A mortal who gives up a Coin will no longer have a connection to it.  Harry who had buried it, and wanted it to go away, was still connected to it.  I thought Michael said something about it to Harry, and how he would eventually be forced to kill Harry, when Harry gave in and accepted it.
Because to their knowledge, nobody had ever resisted the temptation of a fallen. Harry being who he is was just stubborn enough to resist the call of the fallen. To the church's knowledge, harry is the first to resist the temptation. Though had Harry not had the wonderful conversation about how Lasciell's shadow was composed of Harry's fungible material it is uncertain if she would have changed... she resisted right up to the end.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 12:40:12 PM »
Everyone is underestimating the fallen. Think of Mr Sunshine in a coin and remember how everyone is a insect comparatively including Mab.

Only angel ever seen emotionally moved is Mr. Sunshine. But that's when Michael called him his friend.

Denarius on the other hand are all emotional in negative aspect. Or obsessive-compulsive. Except for Nicodemus slayed his own daughter

As interesting as Marcone is I don't think he's going to change Thorne. I only think that they could have the same goal for a limited amount of time