Poll

What should the name of the next book be? (With brief synopsis of meaning)

Other (post below and I'll add it)
1 (3.4%)
TWELVE MONTHS (Title originally announced, but lacks pun and deeper plot meaning)
3 (10.3%)
SPELL BOUND (The year before Harry is bound in marriage)
1 (3.4%)
HEAD CASE (Harry's therapy and trying to help Justine and Thomas)
2 (6.9%)
FAMILY MATTER (Harry helping Justine & Thomas, repairing things with Eb, and dealing with Raiths)
0 (0%)
COURTING DISASTER (A year of wedding planning with the White and Winter Courts)
11 (37.9%)
TIED KNOT (Harry is twisted up in drama before tying the knot with Lara)
0 (0%)
VEILED THREAT (The unknown dangers of the White Court's machinations during wedding preparations)
3 (10.3%)
DEATH MATCH (Lives are on the line when two powerful factions are joined)
0 (0%)
SHOTGUN WEDDING (Something old, something new, something borrowed, and something cold steel blue)
2 (6.9%)
DRUG RING (You've got to keep watch when the in-laws might slip themselves into the punch)
1 (3.4%)
BLOOD SPORT (When the ceremony seating is split by predator and prey)
1 (3.4%)
LOVELESS MARRIAGE (Guaranteed when the alternative would kill more than the mood)
0 (0%)
CAST AWAY (Expelled from the White Council, Harry must survive on his own)
0 (0%)
COURT CASES (On the eve of an alliance, the White and Winter Courts face a conflict of interest: Harry Dresden)
1 (3.4%)
LADY LOVE (Just, you know... Molly, Sarissa and Lara stuff maybe. Harry might not even be in it)
0 (0%)
COLD FEET (Harry's reluctance might cause Mab to get literal)
1 (3.4%)
WEDDING JITTERS (Deviations might derail an alliance before it begins)
0 (0%)
INDECENT PROPOSAL (Molly wants a night with Mr. Lara Raith)
0 (0%)
DOWNER ENDING (The odds of this going well are slim to none)
1 (3.4%)
SLOW BURN (When the groom can't touch the bride, a rushed engagement can move like a glacier)
1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Name the next book! (Unofficial Fan Contest begins!)  (Read 10060 times)

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Name the next book! (Unofficial Fan Contest begins!)
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2021, 11:27:45 PM »
Threw my hat in the unofficial ring for courting disaster, but here's a few more:

Crippling Betrothal
Headstrong Engagement
Necessary Alliances / Unlikely Alliance (hits not just the marriage, but also the war alliance and other possible short-term alliances out of necessity, e.g. with the Merlin)
Starborn Unveiled (In addition to the wedding date, Harry has a 12 month promise on the Starborn secrets)
Ceremony Shattered (again can refer to both the wedding and any other ceremony that forms the plot of the book)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2021, 09:13:44 AM »
Practically perfect in every way. ;)
Ah yes, Mary Poppins  :)        (after writing this I saw that Mira beat me to it)
I agree it is quite an excellent title.

Among the other titles of this thread, my favourites are "Cold feet" and "Wedding Crasher". But for the first we would need Mab, Molly or Harry actually using ice to freeze someone feet, preventing them to move. For the second, it would only make sense if there is someone actually ruining the wedding which, to be honest, is quite probable. My candidates would be Eb, a released Thomas or someone nemfected (I would be pleased too if somebody stops the wedding). Or Mouse, protecting Harry from Lara  ;D
Stars and Stones, I really want Thomas back...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 09:27:27 AM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2021, 12:40:33 PM »
Well it’s how Mab cured Lea. By putting her in a block of ice.

How about

DEMON AISLE

Harry insists the ceremony is held on Demonreach, just in case of wedding crashers, remembering Will and Georgia’s nuptials being interrupted by Jenny Greenteeth.

Harry would be walking a demon up the aisle on a Demon Isle.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2021, 01:45:16 AM »
I like that too  :)
Also, having the wedding in Demonreach would be a very clever idea
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2021, 02:44:34 AM »
Basically we are going to make fun of how poor a title Twelve Months is until it is changed or Jim dies of embarrassment.

Or both.

How about the cheesy

WARLOCK WEDLOCK

Cast out by the White Council Harry only has his forthcoming marriage to look forward to .... with trepidation.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 03:08:28 AM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline 2,176,847

• Participant
  • "Polka will never die!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2021, 09:37:18 AM »
Big Day

"I'm no philosopher, Harry, but here's something for you to think about, at least. What goes around comes around. And sometimes you get what comes around. And, sometimes you are what's coming around." -Michael Carpenter

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2021, 10:57:50 AM »

UNFRIENDLY RECEPTIONS

“Who sat Ebenezar McCoy next to Lord Raith at the wedding banquet?”

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2021, 12:31:36 PM »
Another one

OUTLAW IN-LAW

Harry is forced into marrying one of his former adversaries.

I really like this one, really punny, and matches earlier themes of detective fiction, as well as having a nice symmetry, it can apply equally as well to Harry outlawed by the White Council as to Harry marrying Lara.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 12:33:50 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2022, 04:06:05 AM »
Power Couple: As a term it can have both positive and negative connotations.  Plus, whenever I hear that two very famous people are dating I don't expect it to last.  If they get married I usually expect it will end in disaster. 

There are two great examples from real life I can point to.  The first was way back when Ben Affleck was dating Jennifer Lopez.  I have to admit if I could come up with something as horrible as Benifer by combining Harry and Lara's name, I would.  The second occurred a few years later when Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie were married.  I wasn't surprised that neither relationship lasted, though I was a bit surprised with how long Pitt and Jolie remained together.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2022, 08:13:04 PM »
Bann Sidhe.

Bann (is the intention to marry in Christianity). A Banshee or Beansidhe is a Celtic wailing spirit, a Fae in the Dresden Files.

Good Year

Could work because of the irony. A "good year" is also a harvest term as well for a productive harvest, a particularly high quality crop. The irony being of course Dresden has a terrible year...and at the end feels like he is about to be harvested.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2022, 02:35:15 PM »
Bann Sidhe is a bit lopsided but still better than Twelve Months and Good Year is a bit tyred, but let’s try

“STAG DON’T”

“Harry realised he had made a terrible mistake in asking the Erl King to organise his Batchelor party as he scrambled to avoid the Wild Hunt.”

Or

“LAST DAZE”

“Harry has to snap out of his funk as he is marrying into the lethal White Court.”

I like this, punny, references the impending loss of his freedom to matrimony and his mental health issues, as well as fits in a temporal reference which is the ONLY thing Twelve Months does.

OR

“LONELY KNIGHT”

“Harry’s wedding night is a sham, alienated from his brother and his grandfather.”

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2022, 12:30:11 AM »
It is a bit lopsided, I admit.

I like STAG DON'T but I can't see the other two being actual titles.

Truth be told, if it isn't TWELVE MONTHS then I doubt we will guess it here. But it's fun to try!

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2022, 11:49:22 PM »
We have been concentrating on the wedding or the length of the narrative when perhaps we should be looking at the year long search for Justine and her child with Thomas.

“Harry knew from personal experience what it was like to have your child abducted, for his brother Thomas trapped in Demonreach he could do no less than than to rescue his child and love from Nemesis in a case far too close to home.”

MISSING PERSONS

Referencing not only the missing Justine and Child but the “missing” Thomas, the whereabouts of the Titan,  the estranged Eb and the lost Chandler, the dead Murphy (and Hendricks), Wild Bill, and Yoshi, as well as everyone who died or was lost in the Battle of Chicago as sub-plots these are the people he lost and the people he is missing, family and friends, fellow citizens and fits in very nicely with the noirish flavour of the series. Harry would constantly be called upon in his professional capacity as Wizard of Chicago to “find” people missing in the Battle of Chicago by desperate loved ones.

Jim is likely doing this as an examination of grief and loss and effects on mental health, Harry likely suffers from PTSD, grief, depression, Survivor guilt and impostor syndrome. This plays into all of this.

This also fits in with Christmas Eve where Harry gets the accounting of the lost and injured from Mab, ‘missing persons’ indeed.

This is my current favourite.

The Portmanteau name title would be

Last HaRa

A pun on Last Hurrah of course and Harry and Lara .I love puns and the pain they inflict upon other people, there must be a nerdy White Court Vampire who lives on this.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 12:33:33 AM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2022, 06:47:01 PM »
So, is Hara the current shipping name? I like it  :)
Missing you, Md 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2022, 11:51:02 PM »
I kind of feel it should have an exclamation point

HaRa!

You kind of get the idea Lara always finishes with an exclamation.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:52:24 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »