Poll

What should the name of the next book be? (With brief synopsis of meaning)

Other (post below and I'll add it)
1 (3.4%)
TWELVE MONTHS (Title originally announced, but lacks pun and deeper plot meaning)
3 (10.3%)
SPELL BOUND (The year before Harry is bound in marriage)
1 (3.4%)
HEAD CASE (Harry's therapy and trying to help Justine and Thomas)
2 (6.9%)
FAMILY MATTER (Harry helping Justine & Thomas, repairing things with Eb, and dealing with Raiths)
0 (0%)
COURTING DISASTER (A year of wedding planning with the White and Winter Courts)
11 (37.9%)
TIED KNOT (Harry is twisted up in drama before tying the knot with Lara)
0 (0%)
VEILED THREAT (The unknown dangers of the White Court's machinations during wedding preparations)
3 (10.3%)
DEATH MATCH (Lives are on the line when two powerful factions are joined)
0 (0%)
SHOTGUN WEDDING (Something old, something new, something borrowed, and something cold steel blue)
2 (6.9%)
DRUG RING (You've got to keep watch when the in-laws might slip themselves into the punch)
1 (3.4%)
BLOOD SPORT (When the ceremony seating is split by predator and prey)
1 (3.4%)
LOVELESS MARRIAGE (Guaranteed when the alternative would kill more than the mood)
0 (0%)
CAST AWAY (Expelled from the White Council, Harry must survive on his own)
0 (0%)
COURT CASES (On the eve of an alliance, the White and Winter Courts face a conflict of interest: Harry Dresden)
1 (3.4%)
LADY LOVE (Just, you know... Molly, Sarissa and Lara stuff maybe. Harry might not even be in it)
0 (0%)
COLD FEET (Harry's reluctance might cause Mab to get literal)
1 (3.4%)
WEDDING JITTERS (Deviations might derail an alliance before it begins)
0 (0%)
INDECENT PROPOSAL (Molly wants a night with Mr. Lara Raith)
0 (0%)
DOWNER ENDING (The odds of this going well are slim to none)
1 (3.4%)
SLOW BURN (When the groom can't touch the bride, a rushed engagement can move like a glacier)
1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Name the next book! (Unofficial Fan Contest begins!)  (Read 9908 times)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Name the next book! (Unofficial Fan Contest begins!)
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2021, 01:48:29 PM »
Most of these aren't really idioms or common phrases, though, right? I'd say Cast Away, Court Cases, Lady Love are, but the only one of those that gets close to plot adjacent is Lady Love, and that'd have more to do with Molly than Lara. I could see Court Cases being about issues between the courts, a la Lara and Molly, but Molly is playing ball as far as we know.
Eh, Downer Ending seems like an idiom to me. And... was Cold Days or Ghost Story really that much more idiomatic?

Tha said I'm not gonna claim they were all brilliant :p

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2021, 01:59:54 PM »
Eh, Downer Ending seems like an idiom to me. And... was Cold Days or Ghost Story really that much more idiomatic?

Tha said I'm not gonna claim they were all brilliant :p
I'd say they were common phrases. Skin Game might be the least common, but other than that one, nobody has to guess at the meaning of each book title. I'm not sure that "Downer Ending" is common enough knowledge to be both a known phrase and also an illusion to the events of a book about a wedding and manhunt.

And besides, it'd be too much of a spoiler. He couldn't name Changes "SNIPER BULLET".  :P ;D

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2021, 02:59:37 PM »
I'd say they were common phrases. Skin Game might be the least common, but other than that one, nobody has to guess at the meaning of each book title. I'm not sure that "Downer Ending" is common enough knowledge to be both a known phrase and also an illusion to the events of a book about a wedding and manhunt.

And besides, it'd be too much of a spoiler. He couldn't name Changes "SNIPER BULLET".  :P ;D

I dunno, I'd have spent the whole book wondering if Kincaid was gonna come and shoot the Red King  8)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2021, 03:46:14 PM »
This is fun. :)
My ideas:

FATE BOND

WINTER HUNGER

HEXED GIFTS (lol)

SLOW BURN

and my favourite:
KARMA QUEEN

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2021, 04:11:36 PM »
This is fun. :)
My ideas:

FATE BOND

WINTER HUNGER

HEXED GIFTS (lol)

SLOW BURN

and my favourite:
KARMA QUEEN
Let me know the context for these in relation to the wedding or hunting Justine and I'll add them.

I dunno, I'd have spent the whole book wondering if Kincaid was gonna come and shoot the Red King  8)
I can see it all now.  ;D

BURN DOWN
THROWN SILVER
GHOST STORM
RAZOR BLADE
STEAL SHEET
EAT DAD
SWING STAFF
FIRE BALL
VAMP DUEL
FREE GIRL
INKS WELL
SNIPER BULLET
COME BACK
HEAD SHOT
LIGHT SABER
TITAN COMES
TITAN FALLS

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2021, 04:37:10 PM »
Let me know the context for these in relation to the wedding or hunting Justine and I'll add them.
I can see it all now.  ;D

OK, let's see:

FATE BOND:
Harry and Lara bound together by fate/Mab/marriage. Maybe destined to find and safe Justine and/or the baby.
Maybe forced to be together for a long long time.

WINTER HUNGER:
Harry representing Winter. Lara representing the White Court's Hunger demon. Or it can be seen as hunger for Winter. Different interpretations apply.

HEXED GIFTS:
I wanted to do something with "hex". And I wanted it to be real words, so " Hex Wed" was out. LOL
The alliance and Harry as a "gift" to Lara, but she will soon find out that it won't work so smoothly, once Harry's point of view stands in her way.
And maybe literally hexed, because of magic-technology mismatch. I don't think the Raith mansion technology is wizard proof.

SLOW BURN:
Can be understood in different ways. Either Harry and Lara come to like each other (OK, somehow they do already, even if Harry is pissed about the marriage), so their "love" or more likely respect for each other and the understanding will grow slowly with time.
Or literally Lara burns when she touches Harry.

KARMA QUEEN
Past deeds come back to bite a queen. For example queen Lara: told Harry once that the WC will kill the wizards with love. Harry hasn't forgotten.
The queen could also be Mab (deeds related to Harry, Lara or older deeds) or Molly (what she did to Carlos or the recruiting mission in Cold Case; there is no need for the title to apply to Harry or Lara)

Other interpretations welcome.

Edit: also I didn't want to choose any titles containing variations of the words 'wedding', 'marriage' and 'date'
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 04:39:47 PM by Regenbogen »

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2021, 05:30:37 PM »

Till Death Do Us Part?

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2021, 05:39:33 PM »

Till Death Do Us Part?
It has to follow the naming convention.  Two words that have multiple meanings with the same number of letters in each word.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2021, 06:05:53 PM »
Harry’s wedding night, and the celebration thereof with a dance orchestra.

HELLS BALLS

I really laughed when Harry let his Freudian slip around Lara. It was probably initially a misprint but I bet it was deliberately kept, it is pure ID Harry.

Pretty much ALL of these are better than 12 Months which sounds like a diet book “TWELVE MONTHS to get that bikini body”.

By the way, why haven’t we had the short story MOUSE TRAPS, a Team up between Mouse and Maggie to track down  the escaped Easter Bunny Maggie was entrusted with over the Easter holiday break. Again this needs to exist.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2021, 09:53:15 PM »
@griff, love the description you added to Shotgun Wedding 😁

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2021, 08:59:51 AM »
not really a common phrase, but I like

Consummation Complexities

just silly.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2021, 08:13:32 PM »
not really a common phrase, but I like

Consummation Complexities

just silly.
That's a really advanced combination of words with the same amount of letters. You have my deepest respect.  ;)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2021, 12:06:18 AM »
COLD FEET

Harry has to find out who in Winter is sabotaging his wedding, his only clue? A pair of severed Fae feet.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2021, 05:31:06 PM »
Mother May Eye

Some Lea or one of the Mothers twist involving the eye of balor

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2021, 11:42:55 PM »
It’s 2016 and the 29 February - Lara publicly proposes to Harry, but Harry seeks to escape with his obsession with Parkour.....

LEAP YEAR

The timeline has Storm Front occurring within a year or two of 2000 and the last story (currently) Christmas Eve is 14 years ASF, if Storm Front occurred in 2001 the timing is perfect and would have Jim finally set the timeline to rest, so to speak, and a lovely title leading into MM where he leaps between two timelines, and deals with the unusual structure,