Author Topic: DragonCon 2021 Starborn or Star Born?  (Read 14415 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
DragonCon 2021 Starborn or Star Born?
« on: September 08, 2021, 12:57:29 AM »
Anyone seen a video yet to confirm the comments over on Reddit? There's some interesting stuff, but I'd like to know the context of the "Starborn is the endgame of the series" bit.

I'm wondering if that's the last title of the case files, STAR BORN, before the BAT, or if he just means the Starborn are collectively the important part of the series.
Source
https://www.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/phee1h/butcher_at_dragoncon_2021/

Here's the other synopsis of another panel.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/piopig/butcher_dragon_con_weaponized_magic/

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
Re: DragonCon 2021 Starborn or Star Born?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 01:25:50 AM »
Nice.  It'd be great to see a video on these.

The part about the White Council using an enemy's magic against them is interesting.  It kinda reminds me of Maggie Sr's death curse as far as a strategy.

Star Born would be an okay title for the last book before the BAT, but I'm kinda partial to Over Time.  Especially since starborn is one word in the text.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 01:56:09 AM »
How about Game Ends lol? Time Outs? Walks alone?

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 01:15:53 PM »
40% done Olympian Affair and expecting to finish Twelve Months by January? January of 2022? I wasn't expecting that kind of speed anymore.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 04:44:30 PM »
40% done Olympian Affair and expecting to finish Twelve Months by January? January of 2022? I wasn't expecting that kind of speed anymore.
Squeeeee!

How about Game Ends lol? Time Outs? Walks alone?
LOL. I like Game Ends ;)
But there have not been any verbs in the titles by now.

Walks Alone.... LOL. Makes me think about Harry after destroying every Walker save one. The last one. Harry will rename him

"HE WHO WALKS ALONE"!!!!

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 11:39:54 PM »
He went blond two tone and buff to boot.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 04:15:11 PM »
He went blond two tone and buff to boot.

Not completely, he also was wearing a lovely white daisy chain around his waist and a pink peony in his right ear... ::)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 04:35:30 PM »
It's always possible he really wated to write Twelve Months. Motivation seems to be a massive booster of writing speed for many authors.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 07:45:32 PM »
It's always possible he really wated to write Twelve Months. Motivation seems to be a massive booster of writing speed for many authors.

Or considering the rumored personal problems he has suffered of late, and no, I do not want to go there at all, that is his business.  Writing and putting his head in another universe even if only for a few hours a day can help sort out personal problems and pain.  He will not have been the first or will he be the last, author, artist, or creative person to do so..  Often it turns out to be the person's finest work.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 10:13:19 PM »
He used to write two books a year, one Dresden and one something else. I am an optimistic guy so I am just hoping he is coming back to that :-)

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 11:16:57 PM »
He used to write two books a year, one Dresden and one something else. I am an optimistic guy so I am just hoping he is coming back to that :-)
Yeah, I don't know if he'll get back to that same rate (the books keep getting longer and longer), but it's an exciting message. 

He's said in the past that traveling really slows down his writing pace as well.  With more online work being acceptable, that might be cut down a bit.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 11:18:17 AM »
I am also thinking that 12 months compared to a normal book should be easier and faster to write. If a normal book is 80% stand alone and 20% based on the previous books, and those 20% are to some degree complicating mainly complicating things, not making them easier. Then 12 months 7s just the opposite.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2021, 05:02:06 PM »
I am also thinking that 12 months compared to a normal book should be easier and faster to write. If a normal book is 80% stand alone and 20% based on the previous books, and those 20% are to some degree complicating mainly complicating things, not making them easier. Then 12 months 7s just the opposite.

Perhaps a lesson learned as to why it isn't a good thing to let too many years pass between books.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2021, 09:57:50 PM »
The Reddit write up didn't include my question that Jim answered. "Must the fae queen mantles go to mortals and does it change their DNA?"

Jim answered, Yes, and yes. Since mortals are the only ones who have free will, the queens must start out with free will. Which is odd, because we've already seen examples of how Molly doesn't have free will in all things, already.

Later, one of the other questions was about Harry's free will. Jim said that his free will is dependent upon how many commands Mab saddles him with.

I have an audio file of the Q&A. I intend to write a transcript, but I haven't had time. Perhaps I'll load it up to YouTube.

The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2021, 11:37:58 PM »
Later, one of the other questions was about Harry's free will. Jim said that his free will is dependent upon how many commands Mab saddles him with.

Well, I can see that, based on what she did to Slate, hard to have free will under those kinds of threats.
Jim answered, Yes, and yes. Since mortals are the only ones who have free will, the queens must start out with free will. Which is odd, because we've already seen examples of how Molly doesn't have free will in all things, already.
Yes, as time passes she becomes less human.. Or is a bit more complicated than that?  Kind of like angels, all kinds of power but the greater the power the greater the constraints they have to live under.