Author Topic: Murphy Family Reunion  (Read 5670 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy Family Reunion
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2021, 03:55:39 PM »
If you apply the knights of the cross standards then there are almost none.

Oh yes there are, both Michael and Sanya fully explain it to Harry when Cassius gave up his coin.  That is where Murphy screwed up big time when Nic gave up his coin, it may have been a bluff, but she should have called it.  She had no faith in the judgement of the Almighty, only her own, and with a "damn you," she got a Holy Sword broken.  Michael has strong Catholic faith, Murphy seems to lean more towards the "lapsed" kind.
You are confusing Gard and Freydis. 
No, I am not, just answering the other post, but it is also a polite way to turn down sex with Freydis.  But as far as that goes what does faith have to do with it anyhow?  Nothing,  you can claim it is against your religion, though it may be in name only.
Not ultimately but we have seen he can facilitate things.
Maybe, but not when it comes down to the nitty gritty..  He did take a chance with Harry, but he wasn't all dead at the time, part of the lesson for Harry was about faith and choice..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2021, 05:29:35 PM »
Oh yes there are, both Michael and Sanya fully explain it to Harry when Cassius gave up his coin.  That is where Murphy screwed up big time when Nic gave up his coin, it may have been a bluff, but she should have called it.  She had no faith in the judgement of the Almighty, only her own, and with a "damn you," she got a Holy Sword broken.  Michael has strong Catholic faith, Murphy seems to lean more towards the "lapsed" kind.
Lapses in faith are normal it does not mean you are not a catholic or whatever other religion. If Uriel’s boss only claims the perfect he will only get a small percentage of his followers.

Merely failing the rather high demands of the sword does not make you a follower of Odin.
No, I am not, just answering the other post, but it is also a polite way to turn down sex with Freydis.  But as far as that goes what does faith have to do with it anyhow?  Nothing,  you can claim it is against your religion, though it may be in name only.Maybe, but not when it comes down to the nitty gritty..  He did take a chance with Harry, but he wasn't all dead at the time, part of the lesson for Harry was about faith and choice..
I am not myself a Christian so I can only observe but a lot of people feel connected to a religion without necessarily observing or sometimes even knowing all the rules. They still count as part of the flock.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2021, 05:54:07 PM »
I just lost a good 800 words, so this is going to be shorter than I intended originally.
Anyway: I like the idea of Odin and Uriel trading people like baseball cards. And I personally believe the loophole is going to be Ragnarok; every source for that part of the mythology I've found specifies that Odin leads the Aesir and all of the Einherjaren into battle against Fenrir, which would presumably include Murphy.
And the whole "I'm here but can't stay" inevitability is probably already going to happen in Mirror, Mirror, presuming Murphy doesn't hate Dresden in that timeline. That's where I assume Harry will find his catharsis. Maybe with some other lost characters, too.
On Ragnarok: I don't know where Jim intends to source his interpretations. It could be the Poetic Edda or the Prose Edda, but Snorri did a LOT of editorializing in the 13th century, and directly contradicts a bunch of stuff from the original, surviving Old Norse texts. He really seemed to want to impose a kind of order to Norse mythology that didn't really exist in what you'd consider their canon. For example, Snorri directly states that those who die in battle go to Valhalla, while those who die of disease, accidents, or old age are sent to Helheim, which is a clear-cut rule that is nowhere to be found in the older material. The closest thing to that kind of rule is that Odin and his Valkyries will "choose" from among those who've died in a conflict, but it's not really clear what criteria they use, and it doesn't stipulate what happens to those who weren't chosen to be an Einherjar.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing Jim's interpretation of Loki. The real one from mythology, not the bastardization we have in these Marvel movies, however entertaining Tom Hiddleston might be. I wonder if he's currently sleeping under Demonreach. Are there snakes there?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2021, 07:09:25 PM »
It was also not a unified belief with a holy book and so on. Local variations were all equally valid. Some gods were more popular than others with some people and so on.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2021, 08:32:59 PM »
It was also not a unified belief with a holy book and so on. Local variations were all equally valid. Some gods were more popular than others with some people and so on.
Big time. There's almost as much variation within cultures as there is between cultures, and that includes religions. I mean, even monotheistic religions have significant variations between sects and denominations, and even within the same sect or denomination you'll find plenty of differences from church to church (or temple to temple, or parish to parish), and that's with written documents that ostensibly unify beliefs.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2021, 09:13:11 PM »
Big time. There's almost as much variation within cultures as there is between cultures, and that includes religions. I mean, even monotheistic religions have significant variations between sects and denominations, and even within the same sect or denomination you'll find plenty of differences from church to church (or temple to temple, or parish to parish), and that's with written documents that ostensibly unify beliefs.
Those are mostly differences in interpretation, not in the stories themselves. That can be big of course but Snorri probably had to choose between conflicting versions of the same story and we do not know how he combined them
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2021, 02:26:26 AM »
There is the knot. She is in Vadderung inventory system. And Gard has intellectual about what happened to her.

Mab called her honoured dead, that might mean something as well.

Yes, but I think it's been established in other dimensions time sometimes is not in sync. Can we be sure she did not spend an hour, a week, a month, with her dad and then pop up in the Norse afterlife one second after she left our plane?