Author Topic: The Huntsmen  (Read 3553 times)

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The Huntsmen
« on: February 12, 2021, 01:26:19 PM »
I just realized a problem with Battle Ground - the Huntsmen, non mortal fomor, killed 95% of the people in the neighborhoods they went through.  This is after Mab told all of Chicago to essentially stay inside for safety.  What happened to their thresholds?  Seems like Jim just forgot about them.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: The Huntsmen
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 03:58:13 PM »
I just realized a problem with Battle Ground - the Huntsmen, non mortal fomor, killed 95% of the people in the neighborhoods they went through.  This is after Mab told all of Chicago to essentially stay inside for safety.  What happened to their thresholds?  Seems like Jim just forgot about them.

Maybe they found a way around that?  Most Fomor begin as human, maybe there is enough left over to neutralize the threshold?  Or it is something that fell through the cracks on not only Jim's part but the Beta Readers as well?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 04:44:18 PM »

Some beings can't go through at all, others can (the toad demon went into Harry's place).  I believe they leave a lot of power at the threshold, but many can still cross it in some way.  Black Court need invited in, Whites can walk right in. 

Staying inside for safety I think had more to do with not being out in the open for easy slaughter.  Going room to room is slower than mass killings on the streets.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 04:48:48 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 04:48:15 PM »
The Huntsmen gain the strength of those in their "pack" who have died.

They're still berserk killer-mans. So what if they go from the strength of 6 berserk killer-mans to one berserk killer-mans? That's still a fit, trained, dangerous berserker in the basement.

Plus, how do thresholds interact with Kool-aid man wall attacks? Does it stop counting as a house after X damage?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 04:50:53 PM »
The Huntsmen gain the strength of those in their "pack" who have died.

They're still berserk killer-mans. So what if they go from the strength of 6 berserk killer-mans to one berserk killer-mans? That's still a fit, trained, dangerous berserker in the basement.

Plus, how do thresholds interact with Kool-aid man wall attacks? Does it stop counting as a house after X damage?

Depends entirely on the "home".  A home that's had a family in there for a while that has lots of love will be much more difficult to take down than an apartment with someone who lives alone
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 05:16:22 PM »
I think we will see this when we get Morts POV set during Battle Ground.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 05:16:59 PM »
Some beings can't go through at all, others can (the toad demon went into Harry's place).  I believe they leave a lot of power at the threshold, but many can still cross it in some way.  Black Court need invited in, Whites can walk right in. 

Staying inside for safety I think had more to do with not being out in the open for easy slaughter.  Going room to room is slower than mass killings on the streets.

I think there was a bit of a loop hole as far as the frog demon was concerned.  The first being that not being a family, Harry's threshold wasn't that strong to begin with.  However he did have wards, the bigger loop hole I believe is Susan went ahead and opened the door, though Harry was shouting for her not to from the bathroom[he was in he shower at the time] and this implied an invitation, thus nullifying any threshold protection.  The other time this happened was when the zombies marched through his place back in Dead Beat.. They managed to overcome his wards and the threshold thing, but at the moment I cannot remember how that was explained away.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 05:38:21 PM »
I think there was a bit of a loop hole as far as the frog demon was concerned.  The first being that not being a family, Harry's threshold wasn't that strong to begin with.  However he did have wards, the bigger loop hole I believe is Susan went ahead and opened the door, though Harry was shouting for her not to from the bathroom[he was in he shower at the time] and this implied an invitation, thus nullifying any threshold protection.  The other time this happened was when the zombies marched through his place back in Dead Beat.. They managed to overcome his wards and the threshold thing, but at the moment I cannot remember how that was explained away.

Yeah, I agree.  It's kind of confusing.  Maybe we need a WoJ on this.  I suspect that some beings are unable because of certain rules (TWG or something like that), and others don't because of the Laws enforced by Mab.  They could cross but fear her wrath.  WoJ is required though I think to know for certain

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 05:59:43 PM »
Mab has nothing to do with enforcing thresholds, where did you get that idea?

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 06:03:22 PM »
The zombies beat down Harry's wards by numbers and brute force. They took a lot of losses but being zombies just kept coming in waves until the energy in the wards was expended. I suspect that the Huntsmen just beat their way in to most houses and stabbed the occupant, dragged or flushed out others and generally acted like your typical barbarian horde. I'm sure they lost quite a few to firearms but again, they didn't care about dying during battle so just mobbed the occupants. 

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 06:08:03 PM »
There is this bit earlier in the book:

I could see figures, furry or fur-clad, rushing toward the open front doors of one of a row of rental houses. There were few supernaturally significant thresholds to speak of on such properties, little protection from the powers of darkness.

Butcher, Jim. Battle Ground (Dresden Files) (p. 83). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 06:10:07 PM by didymos »

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 06:20:51 PM »
I think there was a bit of a loop hole as far as the frog demon was concerned.  The first being that not being a family, Harry's threshold wasn't that strong to begin with.  However he did have wards, the bigger loop hole I believe is Susan went ahead and opened the door, though Harry was shouting for her not to from the bathroom[he was in he shower at the time] and this implied an invitation, thus nullifying any threshold protection. 

It didn't nullify the threshold:

The demon, squat and bulkier than a human, was standing in the doorway, both long-fingered, pad-tipped hands leaning forward toward the inside of the house. It paused as though resting against a light screen.
“Why isn’t it coming in?” Susan asked from the far corner, near the door.
Her back was pressed to the wall, and her eyes were wide and terrified. My God, I thought, just don’t pass out on me, Susan.
“Homestead laws,” I said. “It isn’t a mortal creature. It has to gather its energy to push through the barrier around a home.”

Butcher, Jim. Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) (pp. 159-160). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Besides which, Susan's actions didn't matter as far as Harry's threshold went.   She didn't live there.  She couldn't invite anything in.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 06:45:49 PM by didymos »

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 07:59:02 PM »

The comic War Cry pretty much said yes, but X is a hell of a lot.

I thought Vadderung implied the huntsmen were 'grown' from heavily modified human captives. Thresholds might not take a whole lot of their power from them.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 12:09:41 AM »
Mab has nothing to do with enforcing thresholds, where did you get that idea?

She enforces the rules laid out in the accords such as a person being under certain protections while being a guest.  I specifically said "rules by TWG or something" when it came to the threshold itself.  Also I was trying to find the woj but am almost positive he said something about home protections falling under Winter's perview.  Not the threshold part but something else.  Like if you come in as a guest, you have to act like one. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 12:16:47 AM by groinkick »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 04:49:11 AM »
Besides which, Susan's actions didn't matter as far as Harry's threshold went.   She didn't live there.  She couldn't invite anything in.

She did open the door though, I don't think it matters if she lived there or not, opening the door is all it took.  It couldn't come in at first, but then it overcame it. No explanation..