Author Topic: Should Death be a character in the books?  (Read 2810 times)

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Should Death be a character in the books?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2021, 07:36:45 PM »
*smacks head* ohhh I remember now, why I think death is hwwbh, because of his "master" the lord of slowest terror. The slowest terror man will ever know is time itself. If you know the Oppenheimer quote, "I am become death, destroyer of worlds" the original quote/meaning of it is "I am become world destroying Time". Iirc it's a Buddhist quote. So Times chief officer would be death itself. When the world dies the only thing left behind is death, He Who Walks Behind.
As far as mother Winter goes, being the ultimate unmaker would probably put her above regular death in the hierarchy. Indeed I think it was Gaia and Cronos who were the original beings who spawned creation... So death is one of their love children?
Idk, I have a few ideas about mother winter really...

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 01:43:38 AM »
*smacks head* ohhh I remember now, why I think death is hwwbh, because of his "master" the lord of slowest terror. The slowest terror man will ever know is time itself. If you know the Oppenheimer quote, "I am become death, destroyer of worlds" the original quote/meaning of it is "I am become world destroying Time". Iirc it's a Buddhist quote. So Times chief officer would be death itself. When the world dies the only thing left behind is death, He Who Walks Behind.
As far as mother Winter goes, being the ultimate unmaker would probably put her above regular death in the hierarchy. Indeed I think it was Gaia and Cronos who were the original beings who spawned creation... So death is one of their love children?
Idk, I have a few ideas about mother winter really...

The reason I disagree with HHWBehind as being Death is first It's from the Outside.  It's not supposed to even be here unless summoned.  So I don't see Behind as such an important part of our reality if It's not even supposed to be here.

Another reason is It's one of three while Death seems more a single Being to me. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2021, 09:04:41 AM »
The reason I disagree with HHWBehind as being Death is first It's from the Outside.  It's not supposed to even be here unless summoned.  So I don't see Behind as such an important part of our reality if It's not even supposed to be here.

Another reason is It's one of three while Death seems more a single Being to me.
but was it always outside? That was ritual magic they used to summon him, structured, orderly... Something that exists and has power of it's own by that existence.
As for being a singular being, even the horseman death had his fellows, though just like here, none were his equal. I'm still convinced, despite Macs 3 bottles, there's a connection between horsemen and walkers... I mean, technically I already know of a fourth walker who'd fit... MW, that's not a walking stick, that's a Walker Stick!🤣
And she'd be who "walks" before he lives up to the name of hwwbh. She'd tear it all down in a single step. Though it really has messed up the order in my head for that with Nemesis simply being a Walker, thought she was the Judge. But conquest and it's scales would still fit.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2021, 05:03:52 PM »
but was it always outside? That was ritual magic they used to summon him, structured, orderly... Something that exists and has power of it's own by that existence.
As for being a singular being, even the horseman death had his fellows, though just like here, none were his equal. I'm still convinced, despite Macs 3 bottles, there's a connection between horsemen and walkers... I mean, technically I already know of a fourth walker who'd fit... MW, that's not a walking stick, that's a Walker Stick!🤣
And she'd be who "walks" before he lives up to the name of hwwbh. She'd tear it all down in a single step. Though it really has messed up the order in my head for that with Nemesis simply being a Walker, thought she was the Judge. But conquest and it's scales would still fit.

A Walker Stick!  :D  If there is a connection between the Outsiders and the taint of Black Magic you may be on to something there. We generally assume that the Black Staff protects the bearer from the taint of killing so it could be a protection but I'm starting to think it's actually related to the bearer using Mother Winter's killing intent as a fuel for magic rather than personal desire to end lives.

I don't see the Outsiders being truly connected to Death or the horsemen though, I think what is outside the Gates is closer to the Cancerverse from Marvel.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 12:43:05 AM »
I don't think a personification of Death would sit well with DF. The general background of the stories are Christian-Jewish, with old gods being minor things compared with TWG. Death would be too powerful.

But, I can't stop thinking that I would like a dialogue between Harry and Terry Pratchett's Death  :P
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)