Author Topic: Dresden and Lara  (Read 13236 times)

Offline psuedonym

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden and Lara
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2021, 10:09:16 PM »
At least harry can use chateau raith for a hot shower again.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2021, 10:43:15 PM »
Lara gains A real ally in Winter. The White Court is the weakest vampire court that we've seen.

I think it is fair to say that in a 1-1 battle, a white court vamp is weaker than a Red and definitely weaker than a Black.  The White vs Red match will be equal for a bit - until the white vamp runs out of energy and then it is killed.   The Black vs White will end quickly with a dead White.

HOWEVER, that is a long way from saying the White Court is the weakest vampire court.  Arguably they are the STRONGEST court if your focus is on the mortal world.   Which is why I think Mab wants them as allies.  The focus of the conflict is the mortal world going forward. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2021, 01:59:09 AM »
At least harry can use chateau raith for a hot shower again.
He does not need hot showers anymore.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2021, 07:48:18 PM »

Harry does on occasion like to limit his attachment to Winter.  He might still enjoy a hot shower, especially if Lara is there to share it with him.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2021, 08:13:54 PM »
Harry does on occasion like to limit his attachment to Winter.  He might still enjoy a hot shower, especially if Lara is there to share it with him.
The last thing Harry wants is being naked with Lara. The next book will be uncomfortable.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2021, 08:19:38 PM »
The last thing Harry wants is being naked with Lara. The next book will be uncomfortable.

Yeah, she might point and laugh... :o

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2021, 08:31:44 PM »
The cold never bothered him anyway.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2021, 11:05:51 PM »
One more complication to Harry and Lara's relationship, though admittedly it's an obvious complication and not insurmountable in the long-run.

At the present time Harry is poison for Lara; or any other WCV, to touch because of his love protection.  Lara will want to find a way to get past Harry's protection; and to a certain extent so will Harry, but his more logical side will want to maintain that protection.  If nothing else Harry will feel a different kind of sexual frustration than he has known in the past.  Harry was a loner and shy to boot, so he didn't get much action.  Now Harry's choice will be, remain celibate or become enslaved and eventually die, even though it would be a great time while it lasted.  This isn't something Harry hasn't experienced before.  Yes, in Cold Days Harry knew that Maeve wanted to either kill him of get her hooks into him, but I don't think Harry ever respected or feared Maeve the way he does Lara. 

On a somewhat speculative note, should another member of House Raith brush up against Harry they will get burned and realize that Lara isn't feeding on Harry and doesn't have control of him.  This could cause some dangerous complications.  Instead of seeing Harry as Lara's tamed property, other members of the White Court would equate Harry to a live grenade in their midst.  It could also reflect poorly on Lara's leadership, leading to possible challenges.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2021, 11:49:23 PM »
After the wedding Harry will no longer have protection from Lara. The wedding vows are a spell that removes true love protection. See Something Borrowed for confirmation.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2021, 11:52:33 PM »
Honestly I feel like the smart members of the White Court will look at Harry like a live grenade in their midst regardless. It's frankly a rather apt analogy.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2021, 12:14:35 AM »
After the wedding Harry will no longer have protection from Lara. The wedding vows are a spell that removes true love protection. See Something Borrowed for confirmation.

I haven't read that one, but in any case that true love protection is really not the obstacle that people think is in practicable terms.

Mab can order Harry into bed with any Winter fae lady other than Molly to break it and Justine had no problems finding willing threesome partners to help with Thomas so I really doubt Lara couldn't find one or two just lying about(both literally and figuratively) to help out.

And since consummation is part an old school marriage, Harry is dutybound to accept whatever option is chosen at least once which is all it takes to cancel it.

The alliance with Mab will make Lara stronger with the rest of her Court. Harry won't be a live grenade, but more a machine gun emplacement that just makes her defenses that much tougher.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2021, 01:03:50 AM »

Pay attention to detail though. It's sealed with the kiss. If they can't kiss, then it doesn't count. And I doubt that them getting married will get rid of his protection. I've read the short. That was a marriage that was sabotaged. Will was giving his heart to someone who he thought was the love of his life. The marriage between Harry and Lara isn't a marriage of love. They know what they are getting with the other. A business partner, not a spouse.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Phygers

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2021, 02:13:45 AM »

This would be huge plot hole and problem I think for most readers if all a Whampire had to do was get a someone to marry them to get around the love protection issue and be rather convenient just to have a loophole like that. I hope Jim won't have it be that easy for Harry to lose the protection that Murphy gives him if Dresden doesn't find away out of it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:15:49 AM by Phygers »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2021, 03:03:38 AM »
One more complication to Harry and Lara's relationship, though admittedly it's an obvious complication and not insurmountable in the long-run.

At the present time Harry is poison for Lara; or any other WCV, to touch because of his love protection.  Lara will want to find a way to get past Harry's protection; and to a certain extent so will Harry, but his more logical side will want to maintain that protection.  If nothing else Harry will feel a different kind of sexual frustration than he has known in the past.  Harry was a loner and shy to boot, so he didn't get much action.  Now Harry's choice will be, remain celibate or become enslaved and eventually die, even though it would be a great time while it lasted.  This isn't something Harry hasn't experienced before.  Yes, in Cold Days Harry knew that Maeve wanted to either kill him of get her hooks into him, but I don't think Harry ever respected or feared Maeve the way he does Lara. 

On a somewhat speculative note, should another member of House Raith brush up against Harry they will get burned and realize that Lara isn't feeding on Harry and doesn't have control of him.  This could cause some dangerous complications.  Instead of seeing Harry as Lara's tamed property, other members of the White Court would equate Harry to a live grenade in their midst.  It could also reflect poorly on Lara's leadership, leading to possible challenges.   
I do not think eating Harry is part of the deal. Mab was pretty clear about that in peace talks.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2021, 02:24:22 PM »
Pay attention to detail though. It's sealed with the kiss. If they can't kiss, then it doesn't count. And I doubt that them getting married will get rid of his protection. I've read the short. That was a marriage that was sabotaged. Will was giving his heart to someone who he thought was the love of his life. The marriage between Harry and Lara isn't a marriage of love. They know what they are getting with the other. A business partner, not a spouse.
Lara can take the hit to break the protection.

The feelings don't matter, it's the vows that matter.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.