Author Topic: Dresden and Lara  (Read 13227 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden and Lara
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 01:51:06 PM »
It's a little unclear what the difference is between emotional energy, life energy, and energy. Jim's been pretty clear it that the White Court don't eat their victims souls though.
In the DF vampires are like bad French wine connoisseurs who buy wines based on things that don't exist.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 02:51:49 PM »
In the DF vampires are like bad French wine connoisseurs who buy wines based on things that don't exist.

In the end though most end up either converted or dead, and in the case of the Black Court, both dead and converted..  Some exceptions in the case of the White Court, but then again vanilla mortals are seen as prey...

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 09:36:00 PM »

Sorry, what does this mean?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2021, 12:14:39 AM »
They tested wine drinkers who spend a lot of time talking about minute differences in the taste, turns out that most can't distinguish those differences. I don't think that Jim can give you a coherent picture of what the Whites and the Jades feed on much less the variations among the Whites. The closer you look the less there is to see.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2021, 04:10:38 PM »
I don't think that Jim can give you a coherent picture of what the Whites and the Jades feed on much less the variations among the Whites. The closer you look the less there is to see.

I disagree.  I believe the vampires all feed on the same thing, Mana (Life force, spirit energy).  They just take different avenues to gain access to it.

I also suspect the way in which they steal life force has benefits, and consequences.  The Black Court uses the most brute force of all the Courts.  They eat their victims, and kill them in a single feeding.  Red Court is next in line by drinking the blood of their victims.  The White Court is least invasive by going through emotions.  This is why the Whites are most mortal, the way in which they feed is least invasive.  I would guess that the Jade Court falls somewhere between the Reds, and Whites.

Oh and this Mana I believe vamps feed on is also what wizards tap into for their spells. It's why using their full power results in death.  And in many video games mana is what spell casters use to fuel their spells, so Jim being a gamer may have used it as inspiration.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 07:06:35 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline spiritofair

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2021, 05:37:40 PM »
I wonder if the demon in Thomas can be removed by Demonreach. Or, as others have said, killed by Butter's sword. But, the downside of both is that they would make Thomas into a normal human. Seems like it'd probably kill him; the demon is probably just too intertwined with his being.

I love the idea of Thomas picking up the Sword of Love and somehow using it and maybe the sword dampening the demon.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2021, 05:47:15 PM »
I wonder if the demon in Thomas can be removed by Demonreach. Or, as others have said, killed by Butter's sword. But, the downside of both is that they would make Thomas into a normal human. Seems like it'd probably kill him; the demon is probably just too intertwined with his being.

I love the idea of Thomas picking up the Sword of Love and somehow using it and maybe the sword dampening the demon.

Thomas being born on Valentines day....  I mean I can't help but feeling like the Sword of Love is meant for him to wield. 

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2021, 10:28:43 PM »
I just don't feel it is Thomas's destiny to pick up a sword.

Looking at the character types in the story and comparing them to D&D, it doesn't fit for Thomas. He is more of a berserker/warrior, someone who is well versatile in multiple weapons and can go into a super strong frenzy mode.

If we look at other characters, they all have their roles too. Obviously Harry is the wizard. Murphy was the ranger. Sanya was a dark knight that found his true calling and became a palladian. Mort is a summoner. Each have their D&D character equivalent that they have been following pretty closely.

The reason I don't believe Thomas can be the next knight is that he only knows how to be a fighter due to his demon. He loses that and he will be worthless, even with the sword. He has relied too heavily on the demon to be anything else; except maybe the new Winter Knight.

Except for my feeling that Molly will be removed as the WL and become the next sword bearer, due to the Sword in the Stone movie storyline, I don't think we have seen the new palladian yet. Nobody really has the characteristics of a knight or palladian.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2021, 11:34:13 PM »
I just don't feel it is Thomas's destiny to pick up a sword.

Looking at the character types in the story and comparing them to D&D, it doesn't fit for Thomas. He is more of a berserker/warrior, someone who is well versatile in multiple weapons and can go into a super strong frenzy mode.

If we look at other characters, they all have their roles too. Obviously Harry is the wizard. Murphy was the ranger. Sanya was a dark knight that found his true calling and became a palladian. Mort is a summoner. Each have their D&D character equivalent that they have been following pretty closely.

The reason I don't believe Thomas can be the next knight is that he only knows how to be a fighter due to his demon. He loses that and he will be worthless, even with the sword. He has relied too heavily on the demon to be anything else; except maybe the new Winter Knight.

Except for my feeling that Molly will be removed as the WL and become the next sword bearer, due to the Sword in the Stone movie storyline, I don't think we have seen the new palladian yet. Nobody really has the characteristics of a knight or palladian.
The hunger doesn't really come with free swordfighting lessons, Thomas had to practice at least a bit for his skill. And Butters didn't have the full paladin setup before Skin Game either.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2021, 04:20:59 AM »
I will admit, Butter's is sort of a wild card on that. The only thing that I have figured is that he was a healer, so that put him in the realm of possibility to become a palladian.

And isn't Harry constantly saying that Thomas doesn't work out or practice?
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2021, 07:47:59 AM »
Thomas and the rest of the White Court don't have to work out to be in shape. They pick up their fighting skills just like anyone else. Their Demon just gives them strength, speed, super senses and regeneration just like Wolverine. And like Wolverine, opponents with greater skill can beat them down. It's keeping them down that's the issue.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2021, 12:20:11 PM »
Thomas and the rest of the White Court don't have to work out to be in shape. They pick up their fighting skills just like anyone else. Their Demon just gives them strength, speed, super senses and regeneration just like Wolverine. And like Wolverine, opponents with greater skill can beat them down. It's keeping them down that's the issue.

Well, being born faster,stronger, and with super senses rather gives you an advantage when you learn those fighting skills doesn't it?  And since you don't lose the skills you were born with it sort of makes you a super warrior... ::)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2021, 01:31:43 PM »
Well, being born faster,stronger, and with super senses rather gives you an advantage when you learn those fighting skills doesn't it?  And since you don't lose the skills you were born with it sort of makes you a super warrior... ::)
It depends on who you're fighting. Fighting mortals he's a super warrior, fighting a Skin Walker, not so much. Fighting another White, practice, training and experience count.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2021, 02:24:27 PM »
It depends on who you're fighting. Fighting mortals he's a super warrior, fighting a Skin Walker, not so much. Fighting another White, practice, training and experience count.

You still have an advantage.. A well trained vanilla warrior is no match for a skin walker, a vampire at least has a chance.  Hell, Lara is the one who kicked the eye from the Ethinu's head, neither Butters nor Sanya could do that.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2021, 03:30:00 PM »

Lara gains A real ally in Winter. The White Court is the weakest vampire court that we've seen.
Lara and harry have been attracted to one another for some time. I'm predicting that it's just physical and once they have a chance to exorcise the hormones they're going to realize that they'll never work long term. That doesn't mean they won't remain married, but it will be a sham. A political marriage only.
Harry gains protection from the White Council. Or, I should say, more protection from the White Council. Since they're a signatory of the accords, they couldn't just go and off the Winter Knight. Just as Molly still has the Doom of Damocles over her head, the White Council would be idiots to try and prosecute that given that she's now the Winter Lady.
Harry gains by access to the Raith Library.
Harry is protected from Raith trickery because Thomas is in the big house on Demonreach. Of course that still leaves Malvora, Skavis, and Barrowill trickery.
Lara might give in to her demon and feed on Harry, but my prediction is that she winds up feeding on the Winter Knight mantle. Which will bring her closer to Winter and possibly make her a suitable vessel for fae power. Better than Molly, as Lara has hundreds of years of existence in a court of predatory backstabbers. Mab is always five moves ahead in her three dimensional chess game.
This will also cause Harry to be further on the outs with the Svartalves.

The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.