Author Topic: "Talk To Me..." Had Carlos Already Drank the Kool-Aid?  (Read 29714 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: "Talk To Me..." Had Carlos Already Drank the Kool-Aid?
« Reply #195 on: November 22, 2020, 02:34:44 AM »
Dresden is monster of the book fantasy.  Epic fantasy is a more coherent world building genre.  Say Dune or Lord Of The Rings. But if he manages to pull the backstory out of the ditch he may have something epic on his hands.

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 22, 2020, 02:51:13 AM »
I mean it is urban fantasy (Dune is more epic space opera) but with unusual vibe of epic unknown for most of this genre.
Maybe not epic fantasy per se, but sort of ... dunno superhero urban fantasy?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 22, 2020, 03:26:15 AM »
I like that, superhero urban fantasy!  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 23, 2020, 05:22:11 PM »
According to Odin chose to become mortal but keep privilege to meddle in mortal affairs. Of course as ex-Aesir he was still as mortal powerful wizard, so it's no wonder he restored much of his power by gaining various mantles including mantle of Winter King (which was presumably somehow shaped as memory of him, so it could get easier). Also it's a place where I have to say I really dislike how they use Kris Kringle as almost his proper name considering it's relatively modern concept that arise when German settlers for whome Baby Jesus was giving presents on Christmas - it's result of improper pronounciation of Christkind - (ergo Christ-Child), that was mixed with classic Santa Claus vision.

I doubt it's Jim intention - he probably just choose nickname used most in his region but if I was paranoid I'd make theory how Odin is trying to steal mantles from Jesus himself.

That isn't so crazy, you know.  Somehow Odin managed to pick up the soul of a devout Catholic.  There might be more cross over between Odin and Jesus in the Dresdenverse than you think.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 23, 2020, 06:29:52 PM »
That isn't so crazy, you know.  Somehow Odin managed to pick up the soul of a devout Catholic.  There might be more cross over between Odin and Jesus in the Dresdenverse than you think.
Uriel and Odin have lunch together every year.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2020, 03:03:32 AM »

Look I'm not really judging but considering overall Murphy's life, especially her years long romance with Hellspawn and breaking Sword of Faith I think we can safely assure her Catholicism is more like Irish thing and convinient excuse to avoid threesome propositions from Valkyries, nothing more :P

Now srsly - if Odin stole anything from Jesus he should be radically empowered not diminished, it would seem.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2020, 02:10:48 PM »
Look I'm not really judging but considering overall Murphy's life, especially her years long romance with Hellspawn and breaking Sword of Faith I think we can safely assure her Catholicism is more like Irish thing and convinient excuse to avoid threesome propositions from Valkyries, nothing more :P

I agree with this, Murphy was a good woman, but she was never a religious one.  She always had her own ideas and could be as stubborn about them as Harry, even to the point that she managed to get a Holy Blade broken because of it.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 24, 2020, 03:06:55 PM »
TBH I really wait for book where Dresden's stubborness to be his own agent and not a Tool of Providence will lead to some great ruin.