Author Topic: The Next Book's Title  (Read 11414 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: The Next Book's Title
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2020, 03:57:18 AM »
Can I put in a request to reconsider the book title?  Because this unintentionally fits with a speculative title from years ago. Especially if it's a combo of him dealing with mental trauma and hunting Beside.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2020, 07:42:40 AM »
No hat?
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2020, 07:43:05 AM »
That's how dark we've got. No hat.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2020, 11:27:36 AM »
No hat?
Do not try and bend the hat. That is impossible. Instead... Only try to realize the truth.

There is no hat.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2020, 01:45:03 PM »
The Hat is a lie.

Although Kringle could have brought him is fathers Stage Top Hat.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2020, 01:56:32 PM »
Do not try and bend the hat. That is impossible. Instead... Only try to realize the truth.

There is no hat.
There is no hat and yet there is one in art. That implies the hat has great symbolical value. It has meaning. The hat that is and is not has more meaning than just a hat that is.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Lehane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2020, 02:12:23 PM »
Much like Bob and Mab, the Hat has a feud with Ivy, and thus a word about it is never written...

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2020, 05:13:28 PM »
The Hat is symbolic of unresolved depression and trauma, all the way back to his fathers death. Harry must take it off in the next Twelve Months

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2020, 06:56:20 PM »
I just had a thought.  Harry has conjuritis as an adult, something that's not common.  He's also stronger than most wizards his age in raw power.  He's also going through lots of trauma that he hasn't dealt with. And we know from this last book that tulpas are possible, as Bob said they could be generated from all the fear and suffering in Chicago.

What if Harry were to conjure his own tulpa via conjuritis?  One that's stable and self-sustaining?

I think the best thing would be an evil version of him that's all of his fears given form, but not an evil version that goes after him, but one that attacks that which he fears.  That way it wouldn't be just a different take on the mirror mirror evil Harry.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2020, 10:53:14 PM »
What would be interesting in Harry “Going back to school” is him not as a student, but as a teacher, as a subplot.

Everyone is going to be interested in magic after BG, including the University. Irwin’s mother Helena is a professor of archaeology, she should know the anthropologists, what if Harry were invited to be a visiting lecturer in anthropology, specifically magic. Harry has always had an enormous chip on his shoulder that he only has a GED, this would resolve this issue as well as open up new issues both within the White Council and the University. It would be nice that Twelve Months ends with Harry being awarded an honorary degree, or even a doctorate. Doctor, Sir Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden has a nice ring to it.

And of course Jim could use his Summer Knight Story of becoming famous in fandom, where he had previously dome panels to empty rooms, is late for the Summer Knight Panel, but there is a crush in the corridor, so he patiently waits at the end of the queue which turns silent until
Some asked “er, are you Jim Butcher?” To find his room was packed and this was the overflow.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2020, 12:58:20 AM »
I just had a thought.  Harry has conjuritis as an adult, something that's not common.  He's also stronger than most wizards his age in raw power.  He's also going through lots of trauma that he hasn't dealt with. And we know from this last book that tulpas are possible, as Bob said they could be generated from all the fear and suffering in Chicago.

What if Harry were to conjure his own tulpa via conjuritis?  One that's stable and self-sustaining?

I think the best thing would be an evil version of him that's all of his fears given form, but not an evil version that goes after him, but one that attacks that which he fears.  That way it wouldn't be just a different take on the mirror mirror evil Harry.
I'm lost on the subtlety of the difference or purpose of this tulpa then?
I've long figured in MM one of two things are going to happen
(click to show/hide)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2020, 01:02:51 AM »
(click to show/hide)
Or he sends a message back in time to ensure he doesn't make the divergent choice, and ctrl-z's the 'bad' timeline.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2020, 04:55:14 AM »
I'm lost on the subtlety of the difference or purpose of this tulpa then?
(click to show/hide)
I don't know what you mean by consuming mirror Harry.  They're both going to be humans, presumably, with different flavors of power.  Humans don't really consume each other?

I picture mirror Harry being human with selfish motivations. I picture tulpa Harry being almost beastial, with Id's lack of empathy and the Winter Mantle's ferocity.

Imagine an iced over Harry that's gone full Winter, who's only goal is to defeat Harry's (and its own) fears by killing everything that threatens them.

Harry has issues with Marcone? Tulparry goes after him, jeopardizing their truce in the process.

Harry has trust issues with Mab? Tulparry tries to kill her to free Molly.

It'd be like the Nightmare all over again, only instead of a Kravos-based monster using Harry's intellect and strategy against him, it'd be using it to enact what he's always wanted to do, but has always been too afraid to do, for one reason or another.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2020, 05:36:46 AM »
I don't know what you mean by consuming mirror Harry.  They're both going to be humans, presumably, with different flavors of power.  Humans don't really consume each other?

I picture mirror Harry being human with selfish motivations. I picture tulpa Harry being almost beastial, with Id's lack of empathy and the Winter Mantle's ferocity.

Imagine an iced over Harry that's gone full Winter, who's only goal is to defeat Harry's (and its own) fears by killing everything that threatens them.

Harry has issues with Marcone? Tulparry goes after him, jeopardizing their truce in the process.

Harry has trust issues with Mab? Tulparry tries to kill her to free Molly.

It'd be like the Nightmare all over again, only instead of a Kravos-based monster using Harry's intellect and strategy against him, it'd be using it to enact what he's always wanted to do, but has always been too afraid to do, for one reason or another.
well, Kemmler learned to consume spirits with necromancy. We theorize MM harry learned his fake death trick from Kemmler via Bob. I think Kemmler consumed his doubles spirits thus increasing his own power by multiples(specifically getting better at things he's already good at by proxy of more of himself). Unlike what happened with Kravos if life is lost the transfer will remain. And Harry or MM Harry (as far as we know) are not immortal so the are not locked into stasis on their power level. I theorize one of the Harry's will eat the other. I kinda think our Harry will be the one to die tho.. but since he's Harry F'n Dresden he basically just becomes Harry in a slightly different body. With a missing eye, goatee and a probable hat.. and it's his experiences in the MM universe that gave him wisdom, ergo loss of eye. Idk, just an old theory about how things balance. They created the issues with Nemesis vs the fae courts because they balancets things seperate instead of in a whole. (Insert disclaimer for information lost from my head, i vaguely remember something about seeing this done in the protohistory we've discussed on the DF) also, I think that's what happened in the fight between Bob and evil Bob. Bob contained him as part of himself but seperated from his conscious self. Iirc someone else actually originally theorized that, I just fleshed the idea out into other things(cause no explanation of magic in the DF only applies to what they're talking about directly imo)
I actually really like that idea for a tulpa... Reminds me of this song called the new great depression, everyone has their own monster. 🤔 Actually, makes me wonder if Dresden won't have to contain the tulpa of his own dark self instead to stop it...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 06:15:24 AM by The_Sibelis »

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2020, 10:58:12 AM »
Tulpa!Harry conjured by conjuritis and reality disruption would be one of methods to kill Rudolph I'd not be opposed of.

Or even better Dresden having to save Rudolph from tulpa :3
Salt those wounds Jim, salt them.

And then when Dresden is kidnapped by Mirror!Harry - Harry at first is like - WTF again!