Author Topic: Mab and Lara  (Read 26323 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Mab and Lara
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2020, 04:39:57 PM »
Besides, Harry has many secrets (Bob, Bonea, Amoracchius) that I don't think he wants Lara to learn. She probably has something on her own that she does not want to share. So yes, I hope cohabitation does not happen, but I am scared it may. And I still think that for appearances, if the wedding happens, they should at least be in the same place (no need to share rooms).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2020, 09:49:03 PM »
Why would he cohabit with her? He has his own castle to run. Both Harry and Lara would like to run their own affairs without the other one interfering too much.
Modern views of marriage applied to what is not a modern marriage?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2020, 10:14:10 PM »
If they don't live together and don't have sex, it becomes a question which asks, what's the point?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2020, 11:04:15 PM »
Modern views of marriage applied to what is not a modern marriage?
Or ancient forms of political marriages. Besides the white court is more modern than the white council or the far courts.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2020, 11:56:09 PM »
On the subject of Lara the Winter Lady and also Lara the mother, we have to remember something Thomas said back in Changes and PT. In PT he said it is very hard for the WCourt to reproduce, even so, he was taking precautions. In Changes, he never thought of one of his sisters having a baby. I think Lara is sterile. And if she is, would the Mantle recognize that and let her have sex, being that she can never be a biological mother in any way.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2020, 01:24:59 AM »
If they don't live together and don't have sex, it becomes a question which asks, what's the point?

I thought Regenbogen answered this question well.

The marriage was planned by Mab. Mab wants an alliance with the White Court. Marrying her Knight off to the White Queen does that. She doesn't need a child conceived in this marriage, so she doesn't care, if Harry and Lara had sex at all or if they live together or apart. What counts is the contract and the duties and rights contained in it.

The matter of cohabiting: a lot of real world couples live apart, so Harry and Lara don't need to live together to count as a married couple. Maybe there will be a compromise for the sake of appearances. For example once a week they alternate spending one night at the other's home. What they do there is private. They could simply go to bed in separate bedrooms.  ;) No witnesses.

On a different tack, I think Lara has made a major miscalculation in wanting this alliance.  Jim has said; more than once at various book readings and Cons, that Mab will sacrifice everything; including herself if need be, in order reach her ultimate goals; which of course he didn't define what these goals are.  In the short-run Lara may have get some measure of protection for the White Court and more opportunities to expand her own personal influence.  In the long-run, Lara may find out her alliance with Winter may bring more complications and danger then she bargained for.

It's difficult to see what Harry gets out of this union, should it occur.  Maybe he gains some insight into how Lara works and how the major players in the supernatural world work.  Maybe he gains a level of sophistication from working with or around Lara.  Beyond that, it appears it will be more work and little or no fun for the Winter Knight.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Online vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2020, 01:52:12 AM »
Harry gets many things from this marriage if he wants them.

He'll get a security team. It won't be obvious and won't be at his beck and call but you can bet that Lara will assign him some people.

He gets funding. He won't like doing it but Lara will make sure that his castle is completed and well furnished and equipped, just to keep up her appearances. I figure they'll end up together at each home 1 weekend a month.

He'll get shelter from the government. Lara has the most federal contacts of any of the supernatural communities and she'll shield Harry because it shields her.

He'll get all this because Lara wants the alliance with Mab. She cashed in her favors in the matter and specifically included Harry and she did it before the Thomas/Svartaves problem arose. Lara actually likes Harry somewhat, has tried to recruit him in the past, and aside from verbal threats, Harry has never done anything to harm Lara's interests. He's been a net benefit to her and now she'll have more reasons to help him.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2020, 04:26:30 AM »
I think Lara connections would be relevant, specially with the new Librarians. Lara may have information about them.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2020, 05:43:14 AM »
There is Lara’s fathers library. It is mentioned a few times.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2020, 10:14:41 PM »
A political alliance. I think Mab expects procreation. This usually, but not always, entails sex.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2021, 02:50:34 AM »

Lara wants a closer alliance, maybe more power, but even she doesn't seem thrilled with Mab's proposal. 

Maybe it is this.....

What happened to Harry's first gf? He thought for years he killed her, burning down the house....

What happened to the woman he proposed to? He DID kill her. (a necessary sacrifice, but still....)

His last girlfriend? He took her to Armageddon Spring Training, she died next to him....

...maybe that is why she doesn't want him.... self-preservation...   

(Did Jim use to watch Bonanza? Harry's Ben - three sons, all different women, all dead.... )

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2021, 06:23:12 AM »

Maybe it is this.....

What happened to Harry's first gf? He thought for years he killed her, burning down the house....

What happened to the woman he proposed to? He DID kill her. (a necessary sacrifice, but still....)

His last girlfriend? He took her to Armageddon Spring Training, she died next to him....

...maybe that is why she doesn't want him.... self-preservation...   

(Did Jim use to watch Bonanza? Harry's Ben - three sons, all different women, all dead.... )
There is the true love protection Harry got from Murphy. That complicates things and Lara needs time to find a way around it.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2021, 08:22:28 AM »
It's difficult to see what Harry gets out of this union, should it occur.  Maybe he gains some insight into how Lara works and how the major players in the supernatural world work.  Maybe he gains a level of sophistication from working with or around Lara.  Beyond that, it appears it will be more work and little or no fun for the Winter Knight.

I think Harry understands that he is merely a pawn in this, it's for Mab and the White Court's advantage, not his.   He accepts it on that level, that is why he mentioned political marriages between ruling houses.  However having said that, Harry being Harry, I cannot see him allowing himself to be used in that manner.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2021, 05:59:12 PM »
I think Harry understands that he is merely a pawn in this.
Harry's no pawn. He's a knight.  ;)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2021, 06:11:12 PM »
Harry's no pawn. He's a knight.  ;)

Yeah, well his moves are still limited..  He is no, queen,bishop, or rook...