Author Topic: Murphy (BG spoilers) (also some thoughts on the book overall)  (Read 25402 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy (BG spoilers) (also some thoughts on the book overall)
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2020, 05:43:49 AM »
That is an assumption, not a fact..  Actually she worked more with the Einherjar when she worked for Marcone, then she ever worked with Gard. So if you want foreshadowing, there it is.
That is foreshadowing but the whole discussion is not about foreshadowing, it is about connecting the dots, about what is said.

It is about a real offer that was made not about the foreshadowing of a future situation.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »
That is foreshadowing but the whole discussion is not about foreshadowing, it is about connecting the dots, about what is said.

It is about a real offer that was made not about the foreshadowing of a future situation.

Well, since she was killed and now an Einherjar, she sparred with them and she was a warrior, that was the offer..  She isn't a Valkyrie.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2020, 12:01:30 PM »
Well, since she was killed and now an Einherjar, she sparred with them and she was a warrior, that was the offer..  She isn't a Valkyrie.
That also was not the point of discussion. She could have become one if she had accepted Gard's offer to become a "consultant".
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2020, 12:41:19 PM »
That she is an Einherjar now does not in any way, shape, or form mean she couldn't have become a Valkyrie before.

It's like you're arguing that because Harry ended up the Winter Knight, he couldn't possibly have become a Denarian and Lasciel wasn't offering to make him one. Ending up as one thing does not mean one couldn't have become another thing if they'd chosen differently.

Gard's offer was clear from the context of the series, our knowledge of Gard, and the scene. She was not offering to make her Einherjar there -- to be Einherjar, you have to die. Einherjar are also never referred to as "security consultants." The only characters referred to as such are Valkyries like Gard and Freydis. Gard's own words were offering Murphy the same job that Gard herself identifies as having, a job that is clearly code within the series for "Valkyrie."
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2020, 03:15:28 PM »
Gard's offer was clear from the context of the series, our knowledge of Gard, and the scene. She was not offering to make her Einherjar there -- to be Einherjar, you have to die. Einherjar are also never referred to as "security consultants." The only characters referred to as such are Valkyries like Gard and Freydis. Gard's own words were offering Murphy the same job that Gard herself identifies as having, a job that is clearly code within the series for "Valkyrie."

Does it?  No where in the job description for security for Marcone's organization does it include collecting dead warriors and taking them to Valhalla.. That is Gard's true day job.. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2020, 03:18:33 PM »
Does it?  No where in the job description for security for Marcone's organization does it include collecting dead warriors and taking them to Valhalla.. That is Gard's true day job..
But it is never her explicitly stated day job. She is always called and called herself a security consultant.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2020, 03:33:28 PM »
But it is never her explicitly stated day job. She is always called and called herself a security consultant.

Would she have to explain it?  But honestly, what does it matter? 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2020, 03:48:30 PM »
Would she have to explain it?  But honestly, what does it matter?
It does matter for the original point about the nature of the job offered by Gard.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2020, 04:27:14 PM »
It does matter for the original point about the nature of the job offered by Gard.

I think since she wasn't specific, I think if much more of an assumption than fact.  Another thing that says that it wasn't a Valkyrie job being offered, there is a finite number of them, it hasn't grown in several millennia. But if it makes her fans feel better to think that choosing the dead warriors and waiting on Odin and his Einherjan as a Vlkyrie, is better than being a Einherjan, have at it..  Murphy would make a good bar maid serving up mead.. ::)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2020, 04:36:46 PM »
I think since she wasn't specific, I think if much more of an assumption than fact.  Another thing that says that it wasn't a Valkyrie job being offered, there is a finite number of them,
Assumption one.
it hasn't grown in several millennia.
Assumption two
But if it makes her fans feel better to think that choosing the dead warriors and waiting on Odin and his Einherjan as a Vlkyrie,
Assumption three.
is better than being a Einherjan, have at it..  Murphy would make a good bar maid serving up mead.. ::)
And that is four. I do not think she will make a good barmaid. Not motivated.

I count at least four assumptions here. More if you take into consideration that Jim is not following the mythology literally here and that it is unlikely that Gard doubles as a barmaid.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2020, 01:21:58 AM »
There's a strong argument that "security consultant" for Monoc is a Valkyrie. The only security consultants we've seen from Monoc are Valkyries. Murphy has the right color hair for it. It fits.

However, it's not conclusive. Monoc could have mortal employees. Not that we've seen one.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2020, 01:35:03 PM »
That she is an Einherjar now does not in any way, shape, or form mean she couldn't have become a Valkyrie before.

Or, y'know, after.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2020, 01:57:09 PM »
Or, y'know, after.
I believe Jim described Valkyries as mortals with benefits so I think you have to start as a mortal.

Another indication about the nature of Gard’s job offer.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2020, 03:02:24 PM »
I believe Jim described Valkyries as mortals with benefits so I think you have to start as a mortal.

Another indication about the nature of Gard’s job offer.

Again, fictional rules are made to be broken. All I'm saying is that it is completely possible for Jim to write a believable way to bring her back and as a Valkyrie (or just the former as an Einherjar), even in the next book if he chooses so. More likely in the wrestling book, though, so that he can deal with the whole Lara thing in Mirror Mirror.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2020, 09:20:59 PM »
Again, fictional rules are made to be broken. All I'm saying is that it is completely possible for Jim to write a believable way to bring her back and as a Valkyrie (or just the former as an Einherjar), even in the next book if he chooses so. More likely in the wrestling book, though, so that he can deal with the whole Lara thing in Mirror Mirror.

Only problem is that Jim said no power ups for Murphy. Valkyrie would be a powerup. So no Valkyrie powers for Murphy. And keep her out of the books for now. Harry needs to learn to think and work without her. He's almost always had her as an adviser.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!