Author Topic: Murphy (BG spoilers) (also some thoughts on the book overall)  (Read 25831 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy (BG spoilers) (also some thoughts on the book overall)
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2020, 06:15:45 AM »
I do not think Gard offered a desk job.

I didn't say she did, however if the job offer was Valkyrie, she would have said it.
What she said was

"Vadderung would definitely find you interesting.  You've even got the hair for it.
Don't be surprised if you get a call sometime."

Given her end, that might have been all that Gard meant, when she meets her warrior's end there will be a place in Valhalla for her. 

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2020, 02:09:50 PM »
I didn't say she did, however if the job offer was Valkyrie, she would have said it.
Because that's how she introduced herself to Harry, right, by saying, "Hi, I'm Gard, I'm a valkyrie?"

None of the supernatural people in this entire series is anywhere near that forthright and direct; they all speak in euphemisms, especially to those they have only recently met. Harry only teases out that she's a Valkyrie after a literal life-and-death battle with her, and even then she never says it, she just lets Harry work out the conclusion and doesn't contradict him.

So the idea that she only could have meant valkyrie if she literally said the word "valkyrie" falls on its face.

What she said was

Given her end, that might have been all that Gard meant, when she meets her warrior's end there will be a place in Valhalla for her.
That is not all she said. Here's where she's actually making the offer.

“There’s another position you might consider.
Monoc Securities is always hiring. My boss is always pleased to
find those with the proper”—she pursed her lips—“frame of mind.
Considering your experience and skill set, I think you could do very
well as one of our security consultants.”

And how is Ms. Gard introduced again?

Miss Gard smiled. Professional smiles all around tonight, it
would seem. "I'm from the Monoc Foundation," she said. "I'm a
consultant."

"Regarding what, one wonders," said Susan. She definitely had
the sharpest smile of those present.

"Security," Gard said, unruffled. She focused on me. "I help
make sure that thieves, spies, and poor wandering spirits don't
wind up all over the lawn."

So, in that scene, Gard is explicitly offering Murphy the same job that Gard herself does.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 02:11:39 PM by Mr. Death »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2020, 03:25:17 PM »
So, in that scene, Gard is explicitly offering Murphy the same job that Gard herself does.

Perhaps at Marcone's office, the same job, security, and Murphy did work for Marcone for a time.   But that is Gard's secondary job in the guise of security, like Odin is Vadderung, Kringle etc..  Her main job as a Valkyrie,  is selecting worthy warriors who die a warrior's death to become Einherjar, and take them to Valhalla..
Battle Ground, Harry finds Murphy gone and where the body was is a mark, the Symbol of Odin.
Gard explains..
"It's the same," Gard slurred. "Where Nathan died." Her red eyes welled. "That damn knot.  It's part of our inventory system.  A check mark.  One Einherjar picked up and in transit."

That is pretty clear, Murphy and Hendricks picked up to be Einherjar..  She also says that she had limited intellectus,in order to know Murphy's deeds in life.  Don't think that was offered to Murphy.  And finally Gard says;
"In our halls, warriors who died for family, for duty, for love, are given the respect such a death deserves.  She will want for nothing."

Clearly Valhalla, celebrated as an Einherjar warrior, not a newly minted Valkyrie.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2020, 03:38:25 PM »
From Small favor:

“This isn’t the first time I’ve had my guts ripped out. It isn’t fun, but I’ll make it.”

“Damn,” I said, genuinely impressed. “Are they hiring?”

The question won another faint smile. “You don’t really fit the employee profile.”

Murphy did. Before she died that is.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2020, 03:44:36 PM »
From Small favor:

Murphy did. Before she died that is.

She didn't fit the profile for a Valkyrie, but she does and did then for an Einherjar.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2020, 04:21:15 PM »
She didn't fit the profile for a Valkyrie, but she does and did then for an Einherjar.
Who said she did not? She got an offer while alive. She only fitted the Einherjar profile after dead and they did not even offer it to her, she got drafted.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2020, 04:30:52 PM »
Who said she did not? She got an offer while alive. She only fitted the Einherjar profile after dead and they did not even offer it to her, she got drafted.

No, she fitted the Einherjar profile all of her life, that is what Gard said.  She told Harry not to argue with her because it is her job to know. 

Gard told Murphy when she asked if they were hiring..

You don’t really fit the employee profile.”

What she is saying, is Murphy cannot be a Valkyrie.   

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2020, 04:37:54 PM »
No, she fitted the Einherjar profile all of her life, that is what Gard said.  She told Harry not to argue with her because it is her job to know. 

Einherjar don't get a job offer, they just get drafted without any further notice. And they only fit the profile when they die.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2020, 06:23:08 PM »

Perhaps at Marcone's office, the same job, security, and Murphy did work for Marcone for a time.   But that is Gard's secondary job in the guise of security, like Odin is Vadderung, Kringle etc..  Her main job as a Valkyrie,  is selecting worthy warriors who die a warrior's death to become Einherjar, and take them to Valhalla..
In the bit I quoted, Gard is asking directly and explicitly of Murphy wants to work for Monoc Securities, by word and name.

There is none of the ambiguity you are trying to attribute to it.

Gard is asking Murphy if Murphy wants to work for Gard's boss -- Odin -- in the same position that Gard herself has -- as a "security consultant" valkyrie.

I don't understand why you're fighting this so hard when the book is crystal clear.

Battle Ground, Harry finds Murphy gone and where the body was is a mark, the Symbol of Odin.
Gard explains..
That is pretty clear, Murphy and Hendricks picked up to be Einherjar..  She also says that she had limited intellectus,in order to know Murphy's deeds in life.  Don't think that was offered to Murphy.  And finally Gard says;
Clearly Valhalla, celebrated as an Einherjar warrior, not a newly minted Valkyrie.
Yes, I am aware that Murphy was picked up as an Einherjar in this book. That is, again, direct and explicit. I am not arguing that Murphy is now a Valkyrie.

What I am arguing is that she could have been a Valkyrie if she had so chosen. She did not choose that, and is now an Einherjar, but the argument that her being a Valkyrie was not possible and never offered is explicitly contradicted directly by the text.

Arjan just quoted that exact passage. It's from Small Favor and Gard is talking to Harry in a scene where Murphy is not present.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2020, 06:39:59 PM »
She also calls Odin "Allfather"  So he is, that might be why she jokingly said he likes them to call him "daddy" sometime.  A lot less formal, I agree she isn't a virgin, but I think it could go either way as to whether or not Odin is her father.

"Allfather" is basically his job title, it's widely used in the Marvel Comics version of him as well and I can tell you that the Valkyries are not his daughters over there.

As far as the discussion above, she was picked up as an Einherjar, there is nothing which says she can't "upgrade", if offered.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 06:43:46 PM by magnuskn »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2020, 08:31:48 PM »
Arjan just quoted that exact passage. It's from Small Favor and Gard is talking to Harry in a scene where Murphy is not present.

Again, the title of the job in question is "security consultant.."  That isn't job prime for a Valkyrie.. 

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2020, 08:47:51 PM »
Again, the title of the job in question is "security consultant.."  That isn't job prime for a Valkyrie..
Again: Supernatural creatures like Gard, or like Harry, or like literally everyone else, almost never straight out say things like that. "She didn't say the word valkyrie" is completely irrelevant because scene is crystal clear on what Gard is offering Murphy there.

The job is the exact same job that Gard herself has, no matter how you try to twist and deny it.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2020, 10:05:59 PM »
Again: Supernatural creatures like Gard, or like Harry, or like literally everyone else, almost never straight out say things like that. "She didn't say the word valkyrie" is completely irrelevant because scene is crystal clear on what Gard is offering Murphy there.

The job is the exact same job that Gard herself has, no matter how you try to twist and deny it.

If I may, no it's not crystal clear. It is to you because that is what you want it to be. Another person who reads it may not think Valkyrie, only security consultant. By your own argument, we are not told that it is a Valkyrie job, just a security consultant job. You are making the assumption that Valkyrie and security consultant are one job when it is not specifically stated that it is one. It could be that all the Valkyries hold that position, but not all security consultant for Odin are Valkyries. That is an answer only Jim can give.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2020, 11:26:01 PM »
If I may, no it's not crystal clear. It is to you because that is what you want it to be. Another person who reads it may not think Valkyrie, only security consultant. By your own argument, we are not told that it is a Valkyrie job, just a security consultant job. You are making the assumption that Valkyrie and security consultant are one job when it is not specifically stated that it is one. It could be that all the Valkyries hold that position, but not all security consultant for Odin are Valkyries. That is an answer only Jim can give.
The conversation happens after Murphy fights a den of supernatural creatures. It's not happening after Murphy demonstrates that she knows how to protect a banker's assets from being stolen, or stopping industrial espionage.

The thing that Murphy has demonstrated is her ability and willingness to fight monsters, and that is the thing that makes Gard offer her the job.

The thing that gets Gard's attention is the knowledge and skill that Gard uses for her job in fighting supernatural monsters.

There's nothing in the context of that conversation that says, "I want to give you a totally mundane job literally acting as a security consultant."

Look, this isn't complicated. Authors, like Jim, use repeated phrases to directly link ideas.

He links Gard to the phrase "security consultant," and through her actions and interactions with the cast, it becomes clear that that's code for "Valkyrie," especially after we know that her boss is Odin. Through Gard's words and actions we know that, among other things, Valkyries are kickass warrior women who fight supernatural creatures.

So when Gard -- the Valkyrie -- comes to Murphy after Murphy has just done one of the things that Valkyries do, and offers her the same job that Gard -- the Valkyrie -- does, using the same title she used to refer to herself, that means that Gard is asking her to become a Valkyrie.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:49:51 PM by Mr. Death »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2020, 03:35:26 AM »

So when Gard -- the Valkyrie -- comes to Murphy after Murphy has just done one of the things that Valkyries do, and offers her the same job that Gard -- the Valkyrie -- does, using the same title she used to refer to herself, that means that Gard is asking her to become a Valkyrie.

That is an assumption, not a fact..  Actually she worked more with the Einherjar when she worked for Marcone, then she ever worked with Gard. So if you want foreshadowing, there it is.