Author Topic: Murphy (BG spoilers) (also some thoughts on the book overall)  (Read 25828 times)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy (BG spoilers) (also some thoughts on the book overall)
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2020, 06:50:27 PM »
Not in Peace Talks, but at the Accords meeting at the end of Battle Ground there was talk of the Fomor compensating the members for paying for the damages to the people of Chicago.
What I'm talking about is definitely from PT. What I remember is that he paid a weregild after he showed up and killed a bunch of Marcone's guys. I haven't reread any of it yet, so I'm not sure that what I remember happened that way. I also don't have a digital copy right now, so I can't search easily.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2020, 06:56:30 PM »
Not in Peace Talks, but at the Accords meeting at the end of Battle Ground there was talk of the Fomor compensating the members for paying for the damages to the people of Chicago.  I don't think Corb paid anything, not at this time.  Why would he? At the end of Peace Talks he thought that he and the Titan would walk all over everyone including Marcone.  At the end of Battle Ground he and his people were at war with Marcone and the rest of the members of the Accords. So where is the incentive to pay it?
Not exactly. The talk at the end of Battle Ground was the Accords members agreeing to pay the people of Chicago -- then to take those expenses out of the Fomor by force, vis a vis, beating the snot out of them and taking their stuff.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2020, 07:17:55 PM »
What I'm talking about is definitely from PT. What I remember is that he paid a weregild after he showed up and killed a bunch of Marcone's guys. I haven't reread any of it yet, so I'm not sure that what I remember happened that way. I also don't have a digital copy right now, so I can't search easily.
Even if Vadderung raised them again that wouldn’t stop Marcone from asking weregeld. Not doing so would look weak and he might owe Vadderung for it anyway.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2020, 07:51:07 PM »
Not exactly. The talk at the end of Battle Ground was the Accords members agreeing to pay the people of Chicago -- then to take those expenses out of the Fomor by force, vis a vis, beating the snot out of them and taking their stuff.

I call that a sort of weregeld, it is also called reparations for all the damage they caused.  The Accords is paying it because they violated the hospitality laws, a big deal.. Now they are looking for the Fomor to reimburse them.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2020, 08:16:26 PM »
I call that a sort of weregeld, it is also called reparations for all the damage they caused.  The Accords is paying it because they violated the hospitality laws, a big deal.. Now they are looking for the Fomor to reimburse them.
Which is fair. They started it.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2020, 09:26:11 PM »
Peace Talks, Chapter 29, Page 278:
"Read your own laws, woman," Corb spat. "These hirelings were no members of a house, not vassals or lackeys. They're chattel at best." Corb turned to Marcone and with a contemptuous flick sent a velvet bag sailing through the air. It landed in front of Gard with an unmistakable metallic tinkle. "Your weregild, little man."

On 273 (Ch. 28) a bunch of valets, staff, and one security guard are gunned down by the Fomor.

Ch. 21:
The staff behind the buffet was an Einherjar.

Based on chapters 28 and 21, I thought the staff were Einherjar. If I had an e-book, I'd search "red jacket" "valet" and maybe "staff" if I was willing to have to skip all the references to a wizard's staff.

Ch. 19, on Einherjar:
Harry: "They don't mind dying. They've had practice."

Ebeneezer: "Consider them to be the most dangerous mortal warriors on the planet" ... "They are."