Author Topic: Battle Ground spoilers: Harry’s pairing. What do you think?  (Read 41336 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Ground spoilers: Harry’s pairing. What do you think?
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2020, 06:40:13 PM »
She needed to feed at the end of PT. Badly.

And if it comes to it, a White Court vamp can probably recklessly pop an ampethamine or thirty and not worry about health risks.
That's my point.  At the end of PT, she was exhausted and needed to eat.  She was on the boat with three humans, none of whom she seemed to have fed on by the start of BG, where she's suddenly got enough power to wrestle krakens single-handedly.  What the what?

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2020, 06:48:37 PM »
Freydis was little help with the kraken, comparatively. As an immortal, she'd have a lot of juju.

EDIT: Also, she was healing slowly- for her- from the pucker marks. She had time to dress and they were still there. So her tank was still on the low side.

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • GURPS: Red Sky (Dresden Files RPG)
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2020, 06:49:31 PM »
One thing I came away from PT thinking was that Butcher had changed his tune on Lara.  He seemed to be going out of his way to make her more appealing to Harry, as well as make her his equal in some respects.  I was baffled at how weak she was at the end of PT, and now I'm baffled that she was that strong at the start of BG after being that weak at the end of PT.  I mean, I think her power levels in BG were appropriate, but still...

Anyway, she seems to be genuinely Interested in Harry.  I wouldn't call it True Love or anything like that, but I think she respects him and his power and she likes the way he looks.  But I'm not sure Lara even asked Mab to date Harry.  She might not have been thinking of Harry at all.  Mab said Lara "desired a binding alliance with Winter." Lara is modern-thinking enough to not necessarily think that a marriage is the way to accomplish that.  And it wouldn't surprise me if we end up seeing her express that in a later book, where she admits that she's not opposed to the idea out of hand, but that it wasn't her intention.  It'd go a long ways to making Harry more accepting of her role in the arrangement.

I noticed that as well and wondered if he'd changed his mind or if maybe the Mantle was altering Harry's perceptions slightly so she didn't quite come across as big of a monster or if she was actively trying to alter his perceptions (predicated on the latter revelation that she's trying to ally with Winter.)

Hmm. I know Carlos has soul-gazed Lara but I don't think Harry has. I could see him making that a requirement of the marriage so he knows how big of a monster she actually is...
"My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity."

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2020, 06:52:12 PM »
I noticed that as well and wondered if he'd changed his mind or if maybe the Mantle was altering Harry's perceptions slightly so she didn't quite come across as big of a monster or if she was actively trying to alter his perceptions (predicated on the latter revelation that she's trying to ally with Winter.)

Hmm. I know Carlos has soul-gazed Lara but I don't think Harry has. I could see him making that a requirement of the marriage so he knows how big of a monster she actually is...
True.  I could also see Harry's perception of her changing because she's just flat-out not as scary as she once was.  He was a human who was susceptible to her power before.  Now, with the mantle and the threat of Mab's offense, Lara just isn't going to risk whammying him, so he's unconsciously letting his guard down around her.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2020, 06:55:18 PM »
He used to fear and respect her.

Now he just respects her.

I think it's less a matter of him becoming comfortable with her- Eb's fear- and more a matter of compared to monsters like Mab, she's pretty human- and he's becoming a bit monstrous himself.

I also think she's been backing off on the seduction mojo with him because it didn't work and he's gotten dangerous (if the Winter Knight gets too excited, the result might be violence). Which has been letting him see the pretty girl with the bold and clever plans more, which is absolutely one of his turn-ons.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2020, 06:58:22 PM »
True.  I could also see Harry's perception of her changing because she's just flat-out not as scary as she once was.  He was a human who was susceptible to her power before.  Now, with the mantle and the threat of Mab's offense, Lara just isn't going to risk whammying him, so he's unconsciously letting his guard down around her.
But he was also unconsciously protecting himself against her. Lara was furious in peace talks about it but he didn't even recognize it.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Ground spoilers: Harry and Lara new pairing. What do you think?
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2020, 07:04:48 PM »
It can't be just in name. I remember Mab mentioning about passing of bloodline or something like that at the end of Battle Ground. It means that Lara and Harry have to begot a progeny.

As Thomas said though, procreation is very rare for Whamps. Mab can't be banking too hard on the alliance being founded on an actual child being born of the political marriage, because that might not happen for decades even if they were being intimate.

I kind of like this development, though. I don't see either of them actually developing feelings for the other - I doubt Harry will ever exactly forget watching her get off on disemboweling her cousin, and while Lara would happily jump on sleeping with Harry to manipulate him if it was her own idea, I don't see her either doing feelings or being entirely OK with the idea of Mab choosing her partners for her.

But she's hell on wheels as an ally, and they have a mutual project to save Thomas & Justine. I wouldn't mind seeing the dynamic of holding up a partnership while they're trying to hide from Mab that they aren't actually intimate get kicked around for a while.

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • GURPS: Red Sky (Dresden Files RPG)
Re: Battle Ground spoilers: Harry and Lara new pairing. What do you think?
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2020, 07:08:21 PM »
But she's hell on wheels as an ally, and they have a mutual project to save Thomas & Justine. I wouldn't mind seeing the dynamic of holding up a partnership while they're trying to hide from Mab that they aren't actually intimate get kicked around for a while.
While simultaneously trying to convince the Blackstaff that they're not involved at all. Ideally, at the same time. Whacky hijinks ensue.
"My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity."

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2020, 07:09:40 PM »
Has Jim confirmed no more children for Harry?

He's had two with three paramours.

Offline edf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2020, 07:16:39 PM »

Based on PT, it sounds like Lara might not be able to consciously resist feeding if they get intimate.  I'm thinking this is a ploy by Mab to get Harry to do something else by throwing this obstacle in the way.

Offline Thana†os

• Participant
  • "You get what everyone gets...you get a lifetime."
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2020, 07:29:09 PM »
Quote from: Rigil Kent
Yeah, I'm definitely in the "ewwwwww" camp. I see your point regarding time passing and all that, but it just icks me out. YMMV. :)

Honestly, I was never in the 'ewww' camp. But I get the perspective that comes from. but as I said, time can change things between people, so can having to face those horrors they are facing. Soemtimes you get to a point you can only relate and open up with someone who has tread those same dark paths. Winter is definitely a dark path.

But it also depends on how it is all handled too. To be honest and blunt, I'm not sure Butcher would handle it very well anyway...he doesn't tend to write relationships very well from anything of his I have read.

Quote from: Griffyn612
One thing I came away from PT thinking was that Butcher had changed his tune on Lara.  He seemed to be going out of his way to make her more appealing to Harry, as well as make her his equal in some respects.  I was baffled at how weak she was at the end of PT, and now I'm baffled that she was that strong at the start of BG after being that weak at the end of PT.  I mean, I think her power levels in BG were appropriate, but still...

Anyway, she seems to be genuinely Interested in Harry.  I wouldn't call it True Love or anything like that, but I think she respects him and his power and she likes the way he looks.  But I'm not sure Lara even asked Mab to date Harry.  She might not have been thinking of Harry at all.  Mab said Lara "desired a binding alliance with Winter." Lara is modern-thinking enough to not necessarily think that a marriage is the way to accomplish that.  And it wouldn't surprise me if we end up seeing her express that in a later book, where she admits that she's not opposed to the idea out of hand, but that it wasn't her intention.  It'd go a long ways to making Harry more accepting of her role in the arrangement.

Right, but you notice the tension between Lara and Molly? and Mab did specifically mention 'courting' her Knight. That makes me think she mentioned Harry specifically. But maybe she didn't. Maybe that is just how Mab interpreted things...with Mab it's difficult to know.

I think your right though, I think Butcher has changed his mind about Lara. I'm not opposed to their match or marriage. I honestly think that Harry needs a staunch ally with a lot of money and some political power. I think that for him to survive and thrive without the WC behind him, he's going to need someone like Lara for this phase in his life.

He's got his lab back, but now he needs money so he can repair and re-stock it.  It's in Lara's best interest for him to be at his magical best. It's not a love thing, but it's a useful thing for sure and that is what a lot of marriages in medieval times were made for.

The truth of the matter is, Mab has Harry's back. She downplays it and Harry isn't aware of it, but you can see that through her words and actions. She cuts Harry a lot of slack she'd never cut anyone else, not only because he is useful to her and his plans, but because she is actually fond of him....and that can count for a lot. You can see it in small actions, like when she essentially whispers and warns him to not be showing any weakness. She cares as much as a being like her can really care....so both on a personal and a "professional" level.
"You're just jealous because the Voices speak to me!"

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2020, 07:47:06 PM »
But he was also unconsciously protecting himself against her. Lara was furious in peace talks about it but he didn't even recognize it.
No, the burn only happens when the Wamp tries to feed.  Their kiss in White Night was fine until her demon kicked in.  Which means she was either lusting for him when they bumped shoulders in PT, or her demon is just always on now.  I don't think Harry has any control over it whatsoever.

Based on PT, it sounds like Lara might not be able to consciously resist feeding if they get intimate.  I'm thinking this is a ploy by Mab to get Harry to do something else by throwing this obstacle in the way.
I would think the Winter Knight mantle would have a way of negating the hunger if it reared its head (i'm thinking flash freeze of whatever flesh is touching to teach it the lesson).  But the problem is definitely that Harry is currently protected by True Love with Murphy.  So unless he sleeps around before the wedding...

Honestly, I was never in the 'ewww' camp. But I get the perspective that comes from. but as I said, time can change things between people, so can having to face those horrors they are facing. Soemtimes you get to a point you can only relate and open up with someone who has tread those same dark paths. Winter is definitely a dark path.

But it also depends on how it is all handled too. To be honest and blunt, I'm not sure Butcher would handle it very well anyway...he doesn't tend to write relationships very well from anything of his I have read.

Right, but you notice the tension between Lara and Molly? and Mab did specifically mention 'courting' her Knight. That makes me think she mentioned Harry specifically. But maybe she didn't. Maybe that is just how Mab interpreted things...with Mab it's difficult to know.

I think your right though, I think Butcher has changed his mind about Lara. I'm not opposed to their match or marriage. I honestly think that Harry needs a staunch ally with a lot of money and some political power. I think that for him to survive and thrive without the WC behind him, he's going to need someone like Lara for this phase in his life.

He's got his lab back, but now he needs money so he can repair and re-stock it.  It's in Lara's best interest for him to be at his magical best. It's not a love thing, but it's a useful thing for sure and that is what a lot of marriages in medieval times were made for.

The truth of the matter is, Mab has Harry's back. She downplays it and Harry isn't aware of it, but you can see that through her words and actions. She cuts Harry a lot of slack she'd never cut anyone else, not only because he is useful to her and his plans, but because she is actually fond of him....and that can count for a lot. You can see it in small actions, like when she essentially whispers and warns him to not be showing any weakness. She cares as much as a being like her can really care....so both on a personal and a "professional" level.
He should have millions left over from the Skin Game diamond heist.  Financing shouldn't be too much of a concern.  I think there was a cut for Murphy as well, and he might end up with that as well. 

As for surviving, he's got two places to be now that are arguably as defensible as the Edinburgh facility itself, and that's even before he hangs the Placard on the wall with Mister's blood on it.  He's probably going to have a formal army of Little Folk that follow him around 24/7 watching his back, he's going to have Molly and Lara and River all being friends with small armies, and he's got an arsenal at his beck and call.  If he figures out a way to get to the island faster, he'll be neigh unstoppable.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2020, 07:48:00 PM »
So Mab and Merlin were a thing.
I remember how you wept when Merlin cast you out.”

Butcher, Jim. Peace Talks (Dresden Files) (p. 279). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
And.
“Certain aspects of my power have to do with choices I made when I was mortal,” she said. “There would be . . . compatibility issues. This is part of the task the Knight was designed for.”

Butcher, Jim. Battle Ground (Dresden Files) (p. 395). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Is Lara her daughter? Did she cheat on Merlin with Papa Raith?  And did she know that this would one day happen?  And to go all in, is the Source of the friction between her and her sister a love triangle with  Papa Raith? I can see Jim cackling in my mind.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2020, 07:57:36 PM »
No, the burn only happens when the Wamp tries to feed.  Their kiss in White Night was fine until her demon kicked in.  Which means she was either lusting for him when they bumped shoulders in PT, or her demon is just always on now.  I don't think Harry has any control over it whatsoever.
It is a defense against Lara feeding from him and it will affect how she acts around him but it is not what I meant.

Harry locked Thomas up in Demonreach and he is the only one who can release him. Lara must protect him. And he arranged it without even thinking about that consequence.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »
So Mab and Merlin were a thing.And.Is Lara her daughter? Did she cheat on Merlin with Papa Raith?  And did she know that this would one day happen?  And to go all in, is the Source of the friction between her and her sister a love triangle with  Papa Raith? I can see Jim cackling in my mind.
I don't think Mab and Merlin necessarily had a physical relationship.  She could have been a member of Camelot or Merlin's inner circle of wizards, and he cast her out.  I could easily see it being like Harry/Molly, where Mab was in love with Merlin but he kept her at a distance.

It is a defense against Lara feeding from him and it will affect how she acts around him but it is not what I meant.

Harry locked Thomas up in Demonreach and he is the only one who can release him. Lara must protect him. And he arranged it without even thinking about that consequence.
I can't see him keeping Thomas locked up past the wedding.  He's going to want him there for it, as will she.  My guess is that we might get two more plots before the wedding.  Wouldn't surprise me if we get Mirror Mirror and the Wrestling Book within the year of the engagement, and then book #20 is the wedding.