Author Topic: HUGE BATTLE GROUND SPOILERS - (Un)Answered questions  (Read 24798 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: HUGE BATTLE GROUND SPOILERS - (Un)Answered questions
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2020, 06:17:23 PM »
Harry or Nic?
Nicodemus. Anduriel had corrupted Nicodemus even further.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2020, 09:33:16 PM »
Harry or Nic?

Hadn't thought of that, it would be nasty.  It also answers the question of who got the Crown Royal sack of Coins back in Small Favor.  I can see Marcone, desperate to save the city and always looking for a new angle to gain power taking up the Coin.  The question then becomes, if he does have the sack of Coins, who else is he going to tempt to take one up and become a real pain in the ass.

Here is another thought, the Denarians are all ready split into two camps, Nic's little group and Tessa's little group, I cannot see Marcone being subservient to either group, so does he create a third little group?  Now does this make it harder for Sanya and Butters?  Or easier?  I still think at some point Bradley is going to take up the third Sword.
Quote from: Skin Game Chapter 24
Three figures faced one another. One was a large man dressed in a long overcoat and wielding a slightly curved sword in one hand, an old cavalry saber. He carried what might have been a sawed-off shotgun in the other. His skin was dark, and though his head hadn’t been shaved like that the last time I’d seen him, it could really have been only one person.

“Sanya,” I said.

The world’s only Knight of the Cross was standing across from two blurry figures. Both were in motion, as if charging toward him. One was approximately the same size and shape as a large gorilla. The other was covered in a thick layer of feathers that gave an otherwise humanoid shape an odd, shaggy appearance.

“Magog and Shaggy Feathers,” I muttered. “Hell’s bells, those Coins are slippery. When were these taken?”
Shaggy Feathers was in the sack that got taken in Small Favour, Tessa got the bag, not Marcone.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2020, 04:33:32 AM »
Is Thorned Namshiel's goal to simply amass more and more knowledge and power? Then he doesn't need to dominate Marcone; leaving Marcone as he is allows a steady supply of Namshiel's preferred drug.
That's basically what Jim said years ago about Namshiel. That he was just a magic nerd who wanted to play with magic.

I also consider it unclear whether Namshiel got Nemesis'ed, which would make matters even more complicated later.
I read that Jim said, in the B&N interview, the Fallen can be infected, but there isn't much of a point because they don't have any free will.

P.S. I can't access the B&N interview. All the links I've tried go nowhere.

Offline Telynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2020, 04:51:19 AM »
Here is my question, how seriously did you take the statement that Thomas was 'lost' to them?  It really shocked me for a moment.  I mean, I thought Thomas was somewhat safe, until they could figure out how to get him out unharmed, which I figured Lara would be discussing with Harry right away.

If Butcher had written "lost for now" or something I could see it, but the way it was worded sounded like he was gone.  Like for good.  It bothered me because there had been so much loss, and that on top was just too damn much!

Offline simkin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2020, 05:20:27 PM »
It’s been awhile since I’ve logged in so I almost certainly have missed some things. Hopefully filling in those gaps won’t be so painful. So here’s my thoughts...

1) Did I miss something? Why is everyone so certain Mac is related to angels? He seemed more keyed into (Norse?) mythology in the short story with the Grendel...

2) marcone is obsessed with Dresden. Dresden is the one that pulled him into the supernatural world. He spends a lot of time interacting with and researching him. I imagine that marcone became interested in taking up the coin in part after seeing/hearing of Dresden successfully manage and then give his up. I also consider the fact he didn’t give Hendricks his “best friend?” One, even when little a apocalypse was happening, a sign that he sees it as a necessary evil not something to be whole heartedly embraced.

3) I’m more interested in the new perspective of the swords (and therefore the coins), and the interactions between our titan and thorn of the coin and butters of the sword. Seems like the Christian powers of light and dark aren’t the final true form of power but merely the modern version of old conflicts. Ángels and demons instead being former gods and powers that joined a side, but like any family in dispute, come together to fight “outsiders”.

4) Dresden having a kid of lara seems like just a parallel of Harry’s life. Maggie’s is Harry and Lara baby is her version of new Thomas . Letting Harry retroactively fix his family by creating what “should have been “.  Also, seems like it is signing Lara’s death warrant. Harry’s love interests don’t have much luck. “Die alone” or not.

5) what makes you guys think the “monsters” don’t know the white council has been corrupted? The white council is generally considered the representative of vanilla people and not only were they not invited to the final meeting, but they talked about humanity as being the enemy.

6) also, seems to me that the primary purpose of starborn doesn’t necessarily have to do with outsiders, or at least not in the way Harry thinks. We had starborn on all sides of the last conflict (ally of titan - listen, enemy of titan - Harry, and 3rd party opportunist - drakul). Additionally, seems in character for Eb to mention a minor feature (resistant to outsiders) as if it was super important, in order to obfuscate the real information. Not to mention Mab’s side comment about the limits of immortality may become important to Harry in the future seemed related, what with how eb didn’t like it.

Maybe someone is trying to breed a new god and take control of the next age, writing the rules of magic and arranging the landscape of powers as they see fit. Probably makes cowl a star born, as he tried it first. Otherwise, Harry deals with gods way too much.

I wonder how many starborn are in demonreach’s holding cells.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2020, 05:27:06 PM »
Marcone and Harry soul gazed so they know where they can cooperate and ultimately clash.

For most accord members humanity is a potentially huge problem if they can not keep their secrets. From problem to enemy is only a small step.

But they should not make that step. It will only make things worse. Part of the solution could be to let the more friendly types do the communication or set up alliances.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2020, 06:48:28 PM »
@simkim: 1. It was mostly the Watcher comment in Cold Days. It's basically confirmed in a couple of places in Battle Ground like when Harry calls him an ex-angel.

2. Hendricks either didn't know Marcone had taken up the coin or died to keep the fact that Marcone had taken up the coin secret. Either way, I think this shows that Marcone very much wants to keep the fact that he's a Nicklehead a secret.

4. Elaine's not dead. Yet.

6. Yeah. I think there's got to be a lot more to the whole starborn thing than just power over/resistance to Outsiders.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2020, 07:22:15 PM »
2. Hendricks either didn't know Marcone had taken up the coin or died to keep the fact that Marcone had taken up the coin secret. Either way, I think this shows that Marcone very much wants to keep the fact that he's a Nicklehead a secret.
Of course. He does not want all the enemies Namshiel and the fallen collected to be his enemies too.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2020, 07:34:22 PM »
@Arjan: I hadn't considered that.

I figured it was because much of his prestige is that he, a simple mortal, got on the Accords, held his territory, and bested Nicodemus without lifting a finger against him.

Doing all that with the help of a Fallen angel is much less impressive.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2020, 08:00:15 PM »
Bradley is the new Murphy, he is I think going to SI and will act as Harry’s liaison.

The reason I think this is that the character has been set up for a running joke, like Murphy with her being exactly five feet tall “Five O”.

In BG where Bradley meets Harry for the second time he is described like an armoured personnel carrier. The main US armoured personnel carrier is....the Bradley. Going back to PT on their first meeting his suit is described as neutral ,designed to blend into the business world, I would think almost like camouflage?

On his third meeting he is literally carrying personnel, his daughter and Rudy.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2020, 08:35:02 PM »
Bradley is the new Murphy, he is I think going to SI and will act as Harry’s liaison.

The reason I think this is that the character has been set up for a running joke, like Murphy with her being exactly five feet tall “Five O”.

In BG where Bradley meets Harry for the second time he is described like an armoured personnel carrier. The main US armoured personnel carrier is....the Bradley. Going back to PT on their first meeting his suit is described as neutral ,designed to blend into the business world, I would think almost like camouflage?

On his third meeting he is literally carrying personnel, his daughter and Rudy.

Oh I think Bradley is the new Third Knight when it is needed.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2020, 08:48:54 PM »
Bradley is the new Murphy.
I didn't notice the sexual tension.  ;)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2020, 09:18:21 PM »
I didn't notice the sexual tension.  ;)
??? :o

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2020, 01:48:18 AM »
So does this mean thorned Namshiel is off the list of who attacked Arctis Tor?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2020, 02:52:44 AM »
So does this mean thorned Namshiel is off the list of who attacked Arctis Tor?

No, different body same nickle.. ::)