Author Topic: HUGE BATTLE GROUND SPOILERS - (Un)Answered questions  (Read 24881 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: HUGE BATTLE GROUND SPOILERS - (Un)Answered questions
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2020, 05:58:53 PM »
Counterpoint: Besides his love for his family and friends, he was protected by True Love twice. Jim has said that True Love is extremely rare, but Harry got it twice. I am sure that is extraordinary (sensu stricto, it is out of ordinary, by far).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2020, 06:18:45 PM »
Counterpoint: Besides his love for his family and friends, he was protected by True Love twice. Jim has said that True Love is extremely rare, but Harry got it twice. I am sure that is extraordinary (sensu stricto, it is out of ordinary, by far).

Yeah, I imagine that Lara will insist that Harry take at least one lover in the coming year to neutralize his protection from Murphy. Or it will be a marriage in name only and never consummated.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2020, 06:33:34 PM »
Well, you know that I've been posting for years that I did not think Harry really loved Murphy. I mean, he cares a lot for her, and definitely loves her, but not LOVE her. Then PT happened, with a True Love that surprised me. And then, she died. So my idea is that, from a literary point of view, the only reason why JB included True Love is for giving Harry a protection from whampires. That way he can even be married with Lara and still not have sex with her. (Of course, something can happen that prevents the wedding for happening at all but anyway). It will also explain that Lara does not have sex with him during courtship.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2020, 06:52:44 PM »
Well, you know that I've been posting for years that I did not think Harry really loved Murphy. I mean, he cares a lot for her, and definitely loves her, but not LOVE her. Then PT happened, with a True Love that surprised me. And then, she died. So my idea is that, from a literary point of view, the only reason why JB included True Love is for giving Harry a protection from whampires. That way he can even be married with Lara and still not have sex with her. (Of course, something can happen that prevents the wedding for happening at all but anyway). It will also explain that Lara does not have sex with him during courtship.

Yeah, I had the same thoughts on the sudden realization of the protection. It was a quick fish to the face, suprising to be hit with it and wondering why you were hit with it.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2020, 06:58:16 PM »

Maybe one can feel true love without knowing it?  Or does the true love have to be mutual for it to protect against the Hunger?  It could be what Murphy felt for Harry was true love, that is what Nic was taunting her about in Skin Game as he beat the snot out of her.  Harry did love her, but like he loved Susan?  This time around he isn't allowing himself to go into a deep depression, he has a little girl to look after like he did when Susan left.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2020, 07:09:33 PM »
  Yeah, I imagine that Lara will insist that Harry take at least one lover in the coming year to neutralize his protection from Murphy. Or it will be a marriage in name only and never consummated.

I mean I'm kinda reminded of the last Wedding Harry went too.

“Uh,” he said, somehow giving the impression that he’d shrugged. “A kiss ought to do it. You know. True love, Prince Charming, that kind of thing.”

“That won’t be hard,” I said, relaxing a little. “We’ll definitely get to the wedding before he goes off alone with Jenny and gets drowned.”

“Oh, good,” Bob said. “Of course, the girl still kicks off, but you can’t save all the people, all the time.”

“What?” I demanded. “Why does Georgia die?”

“Oh, if the Werewolf kid goes through the ceremony with Jenny and plights his troth and so on, it’s going to contaminate him. I mean, if he’s married to another, it can’t really be pure love. Jenny’s claim on him would prevent the kiss from lifting the spell.”

“Which means Georgia won’t wake up,” I said, chewing on my lip.

Of course that was for Faerie magic, not Whampire shenanigans, but I wouldn't be surprised if that'd break it. (though tbh the most likely scenario is Harry finding a way out of it somehow. Normally it takes at least one book for him to destroy a romantic relationship, but this time he's got a year to plan ahead)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 07:11:47 PM by forumghost »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2020, 07:22:34 PM »
Maybe one can feel true love without knowing it?  Or does the true love have to be mutual for it to protect against the Hunger?  It could be what Murphy felt for Harry was true love, that is what Nic was taunting her about in Skin Game as he beat the snot out of her.  Harry did love her, but like he loved Susan?  This time around he isn't allowing himself to go into a deep depression, he has a little girl to look after like he did when Susan left.
I've been wondering about that (because of the Justine-Thomas thing) but so far I had understood that protection only occurred with mutual True Love (that is why Harry was not protected with Luccio, who was mind-controlled). Still, I may be wrong.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2020, 07:23:07 PM »
Of course that was for Faerie magic, not Whampire shenanigans, but I wouldn't be surprised if that'd break it. (though tbh the most likely scenario is Harry finding a way out of it somehow. Normally it takes at least one book for him to destroy a romantic relationship, but this time he's got a year to plan ahead)

Ya think Molly might break it up?  I think she would if she could get away from it.  Somehow I don't see the wedding happening, at this point I don't see it enhancing the over all story, but that's just my opinion.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2020, 07:34:12 PM »
Ya think Molly might break it up?  I think she would if she could get away from it.  Somehow I don't see the wedding happening, at this point I don't see it enhancing the over all story, but that's just my opinion.

I think that Mab knows Harry well enough that she knew he'd try to weasel out of this. So now he's gonna be forced to interact with both Lara and Molly a lot over the next year, giving plenty of time for him to either soften up to the idea, or plot an escape with a willing conspirator.

Either way probably works for her, so long as she both gets her alliance, and teaches Harry to stop being such a blunt instrument.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2020, 08:43:28 PM »
You didn't?

I mean, I think the paragraph ended just because Harry couldn't think of any more ways to say that Detective Bradley was very, very manly.
Well yeah, but Bradley never reciprocated.

That way he can even be married with Lara and still not have sex with her.
Strictly speaking, Lara can't feed on Harry. It might be possible for her to have sex with Harry and not feed.

Normally it takes at least one book for him to destroy a romantic relationship, but this time he's got a year to plan ahead)
:D

I had understood that protection only occurred with mutual True Love.
I'm pretty sure that's the case. It's why Jim said a parent's love for children does nothing. It's not mutual.

Either way probably works for her, so long as she both gets her alliance, and teaches Harry to stop being such a blunt instrument.
Yeah. If Harry finds a way out, it's probably by offering everyone a better deal.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2020, 08:45:19 PM »
excuse me? , harry didn't use love and Harry didn't personify love in this book. Harry is not yet in touch with what makes him tick, and by and large love has been absent from his life. Hope and duty have been omniscient in it.
Sorry, guess the nonsense came across harshly.

But when Ethniu has him dead to rights, what pulls him through? Love of Family. Not hope or duty.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2020, 09:29:44 PM »
Sorry, guess the nonsense came across harshly.

But when Ethniu has him dead to rights, what pulls him through? Love of Family. Not hope or duty.

Mouse saved the day!! ;D  Yup, you are right, it was the iron grip hug from little Maggie and Mouse leaning in on his legs that helped him to focus his will with such strength that Ethniu was powerless against it.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2020, 09:32:08 PM »
Strictly speaking, Lara can't feed on Harry. It might be possible for her to have sex with Harry and not feed.
 :D

Yes, but we know that is not Lara's style. It is possible, but would be difficult for her

Mouse saved the day!! ;D  Yup, you are right, it was the iron grip hug from little Maggie and Mouse leaning in on his legs that helped him to focus his will with such strength that Ethniu was powerless against it.

In the "memory" scene I was all but shouting to Harry "It's not true. Mouse is not there" but I understand he was too involved to realized that immediately.
Missing you, Md 

Offline CrusherJen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2020, 09:57:23 PM »
Strictly speaking, Lara can't feed on Harry. It might be possible for her to have sex with Harry and not feed.

I don't think it's likely, considering a mere brush of Harry's skin in Peace Talks was enough to burn Lara.

Unless the protection is broken beforehand, or the marriage vows invalidate it, there's no way for Harry and Lara to be intimate. But who knows what lurks in the mind of Jim?  ;D
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."   --from Blood Rites