Author Topic: Will the Outsider, HWWBehind, turn out to be the unsung hero at the end?  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Will the Outsider, HWWBehind, turn out to be the unsung hero at the end?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2020, 06:45:44 PM »
.. Im not even sure what your linearly talking about anymore compared to what started this conversation... You said lash said outsiders cannot mentally whammy him, I pointed out this is untrue. What did or didn't happen on the boat is ilrelavent to that. He's not immune to psychic attack and nobody has ever said he was, not even from outsiders.

Lash said, that Harry has power over Outsiders.  You said it was untrue, go reread White Night.. Well, Vittorio possessed/assisted by an Outsider did it.  My retort is, he was able because Harry didn't know he could fight it.  He was aware that the whammy was on him though, which is a huge step forward in not unknowingly being possessed by anything unless you want to be. 

You said that is why Lash sacrificed herself to save Harry from the whammy...True, but also when she did it Harry still wasn't sure how to do it,she had just told him... 

My point about what happened with Justine on the Water Beetle, was if they wanted possess Harry mentally or be able to do it, that was the time.  Since Harry was exhausted physically, mentally, emotionally, hurting both physically and emotionally, instead Harry figured it out and called the Outsider/Nemeses/Walker out.  That is how it is relevant, if we are talking about Harry unknowingly being taken over and controlled by HeWhoWalksBehind. If it was going to happen, that would have been the time, I really doubt that Nemeses would ever find Harry that vulnerable again.

Actually in Peace Talks Harry discovered that he can turn the tables on the Outsiders.  When he and Eb were fighting the cornerhounds, they were trying to put the mental whammy on them.  Instead, Harry found himself in their head, felt their fear of him, and saw the image of himself that they see.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 07:02:14 PM »
Lash said, that Harry has power over Outsiders.  You said it was untrue, go reread White Night.. Well, Vittorio possessed/assisted by an Outsider did it.
no I didn't,
My retort is, he was able because Harry didn't know he could fight it.  He was aware that the whammy was on him though, which is a huge step forward in not unknowingly being possessed by anything unless you want to be. 
there, right there. He's not immune to mental whammies, of she need not sacrifice herself. He wasn't immune to the corner hounds fighting back mentally, he was immune to corruption from interaction with them.
You said that is why Lash sacrificed herself to save Harry from the whammy...True, but also when she did it Harry still wasn't sure how to do it,she had just told him... 
he didn't do anything special in either CD or PTs when encountering outsiders either, he just resisted them with his will.
My point about what happened with Justine on the Water Beetle, was if they wanted possess Harry mentally or be able to do it, that was the time.  Since Harry was exhausted physically, mentally, emotionally, hurting both physically and emotionally, instead Harry figured it out and called the Outsider/Nemeses/Walker out.
that wasn't in the plot..
That is how it is relevant, if we are talking about Harry unknowingly being taken over and controlled by HeWhoWalksBehind.
not what I said, yes been marked to resemble him, nothing mental per se, he actually marked his soul(which he obviously was not immune to) and I'm implying it made a container on his aura shaped like Hwwbh. Say, he put water/harry, a mutable object into a bowl/hwwbh shaped
If it was going to happen, that would have been the time, I really doubt that Nemeses would ever find Harry that vulnerable again.
🤷‍♂️ not my fault nemesis didn't do it.
Actually in Peace Talks Harry discovered that he can turn the tables on the Outsiders.  When he and Eb were fighting the cornerhounds, they were trying to put the mental whammy on them.  Instead, Harry found himself in their head, felt their fear of him, and saw the image of himself that they see.
yes and he still had to fight their mental power in order to win, if he'd lost he wouldn't have been immune to that see? Starborn prevents corruption or Nfection, it does not make you immune to psychic assault.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 07:19:03 PM »
there, right there. He's not immune to mental whammies, of she need not sacrifice herself. He wasn't immune to the corner hounds fighting back mentally, he was immune to corruption from interaction with them.

Timing is everything, um I don't know how fine you want to cut it... But immune to corruption from interaction is pretty huge, don't ya think?? 
he didn't do anything special in either CD or PTs when encountering outsiders either, he just resisted them with his will.
That's the whole point, all his wizard buds and non wizard buds, cannot, because they lack that kind of will..  That is what gives him the power over Outsiders..
that wasn't in the plot.

I am aware as much as you are, but it illustrates that if it was possible as suggested to do a mental take over/manipulation without Harry knowing, that would have been the time.  It didn't happen.. Or Jim pulled it off, off page, because I doubt that he will make Harry that vulnerable to Outsider attack again... But then what do I know?? ::)
not what I said, yes been marked to resemble him, nothing mental per se, he actually marked his soul(which he obviously was not immune to) and I'm implying it made a container on his aura shaped like Hwwbh. Say, he put water/harry, a mutable object into a bowl/hwwbh shaped

Please, book, page, and quotation to support this..
not my fault nemesis didn't do it.

True, you weren't there, ??? But if Nemeses didn't do it, it must be a very flawed enemy, because that good a chance may never come again... ::)
yes and he still had to fight their mental power in order to win, if he'd lost he wouldn't have been immune to that see? Starborn prevents corruption or Nfection, it does not make you immune to psychic assault.

Again, immune is your word, not mine..  The point is he can fight their mental power..  And he didn't lose did he? :P

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 07:23:34 PM »
Harry has been attacked mentally at least four times by Outsiders and he has beaten the attack all four times. And they can't posses him. Killing him is easy, a bullet will do it, or a club. And what in the hell is the mental whammy supposed to be anyway? In the attack at Mac's everybody, including Mac, is incapacitated except Harry.  So is the whammy you smacking me in the mouth before I hit you with a chair leg or what.
Here is something I was wondering, and I'm sure you guys will know of examples of this one way or the other.  Can the Outsiders do the mental whammy when they have possession of someone?  Or are they somewhat limited to what capabilities that person has?   I'm trying to think of when that mental whammy was used and it seems only when the outsider was themselves (sharkface for example).  But maybe not in the deeps?
Jim as usual is really fuzzy about this, however, Harry is attacked mentally in Cold Days by Sharkface and by Cat Sith whom he again calls Sharkface. So ??????

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 08:23:27 PM »
That's right.  And that isn't something he would be capable of on his own, I don't think.  Was just thinking they might be limited based on who they possess.  But maybe not.
It was something Vitto could do, just to an extent that he wouldn't be able to do normally. The possession turned him up to 11.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 11:19:20 PM »
Please, book, page, and quotation to support this..
pretty much any time one Harry talks about being marked? It doesn't outright say it, that's why it's a theory... Kincaid is not marked by hwwbh, he's marked by his own heritage. And yet harry saw a double image of him with a creature marking him, following him.. defining his inner being.
And immune is a word to convey an idea as its vessel
.  An Outsider cannot mentally whammy him,
it matters little whichever word you used, that still accurately conveys your intention. Which I am arguing as not presented anywhere in the books. Period. Harry is not immune, able to significantly shrug off without effort, a whammy.

Offline Moonlight Wolf

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2020, 11:33:07 PM »
IMHO, I think being starborn makes you a destroyer to be used by the outsiders or a savior that can level the playing field.  HWWBH targeted Harry, either through Justin or used Justin as a conduit to find starborn. It might explain that Drakul is a destroyer and Rashid (if he is) would be a savior.  Unless Rashid is playing a long game as a destroyer, but I find that hard to believe if he is working the Outer Gates. It could be that he is strategically letting Nemesis through, but I like to believe in the good guys. Tinfoil hat off now.  :)