Author Topic: Murphy's Gun [Battle Ground Spoilers]  (Read 4360 times)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy's Gun [Battle Ground Spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2020, 06:03:31 PM »
My honest feel, is this was Dresden getting a new "primary carry" so that Murph is always with him on the battlefield in a very round about way... but that it needed to be said when it was so that he *still* had it it when Murph's body was taken/gone.  It's still a Chekhov's Gun moment, but it's pay off wasn't for this book. I imagine there will be some pay off with Mirror Murphy in Mirror, Mirror and perhaps with real Murph somewhen down the line.

Heck, that's a point isn't it? Murphy is, after all, someone that names her guns. No way that she wouldn't recognise Backup. Good way to convince her that he's from another earth.

Especially since iirc Mirror Mirror should be what, 1-2 Books away?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 06:09:33 PM »
Here's an idea. Do you remember that Lara has a burn for a wedding ring, right? I can see that for some reason she takes the gun and gets burned by it.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 06:12:02 PM »
Same difference, if Marcone went for the Eye he would expose himself to Harry grabbing the Spear.
I also have a suspicion that perhaps the Spear can actually kill a Fallen.

Yeah, actually I watched a show the other night about the Knights Templar, anyway one of the very relics they were looking for in the Holy Land was the Spear of Destiny, the main thing about is, the holder of it can defeat any and all enemies, I'm not sure but I think the expert said it makes the holder pretty invincible.   So bottom line, if any or all of that is true, that explains why Marcone/Namshiel was so obliging as far as the Eye was concerned.  Because he knows exactly what the implications are of being the holder of that Spear, and he didn't desire to get his ass kicked.  He will wait and try other more round about methods to try and get it from Harry.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 07:41:47 PM »
Forget Murphy’s gun, where was Sasha hiding a Kalashnikov?
He said he found it. But my question is why would he need to find one? He's usually brought his own. He had every other time we've seen him.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 07:44:27 PM »
I like the idea that every time we've seen him he just randomly found one off-screen. He doesn't keep one of his own with him, because he'll trip over one in a random back alley if it's required.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 08:44:58 PM »
At least once he ended up in Chicago on a layover. (SmF). It can be difficult to travel with a firearm on planes. Especially internationally.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2020, 08:56:04 PM »
I kind of get the idea it’s an aspect of his role as a Knight, smoothing the way for him. It’s clear Butters was navigating via game iconography in BG, and to great effect so does Sanya randomly root around in the first trash can he sees coming out from the airport and finds a fully loaded Kalashnikov? Is that what he did? lift up a log in the park and find a fully loaded Kalashnikov under it?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2020, 09:08:18 PM »
I kind of get the idea it’s an aspect of his role as a Knight, smoothing the way for him. It’s clear Butters was navigating via game iconography in BG, and to great effect so does Sanya randomly root around in the first trash can he sees coming out from the airport and finds a fully loaded Kalashnikov? Is that what he did? lift up a log in the park and find a fully loaded Kalashnikov under it?
It is the USA. Guns everywhere. Someone just accidentally dropped one.  ;D

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2020, 09:13:54 PM »
Or maybe Butter's isn't the only Knight to be a video game character:

Sanya: "why do all the monsters I kill have gemstones, gold coins, or weapons inside them?"

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2020, 10:45:26 PM »
It is the USA. Guns everywhere. Someone just accidentally dropped one.  ;D
Lol. They are in the middle of a battle in a city that's had 3,204 shootings this year as of Monday, so maybe.

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • GURPS: Red Sky (Dresden Files RPG)
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2020, 12:03:26 AM »
He's a Knight who operates on the principle of "When I need something, it happens." Seems pretty simple. Remember how Michael just opened the door and Father Forthill was standing there, about to knock? Why can't Sanya inexplicably discover a crashed gang-banger's car that happens to have an AK in the back?
"My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity."

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2020, 01:53:52 AM »
He's a Knight who operates on the principle of "When I need something, it happens." Seems pretty simple. Remember how Michael just opened the door and Father Forthill was standing there, about to knock? Why can't Sanya inexplicably discover a crashed gang-banger's car that happens to have an AK in the back?

As the saying goes,  "The Lord will provide.."  That is the mantra the Holy Knight live by.