Author Topic: [PT Spoilers] Harry's Shield Color  (Read 2287 times)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
[PT Spoilers] Harry's Shield Color
« on: September 11, 2020, 02:52:36 AM »
Something interesting in PT that might have major implications in BG:

When Harry is startled by Mab and Lara appearing in the car, he calls up his shield, and it's yellow-green. Lara comments on the color change, and Mab says, "He made an alliance with a powerful guardian entity. [...] It does not interfere with his duties."

So is Harry somehow drawing power from Demonreach while off the island? If so, isn't that a really major deal?

Or is this a Faerie trickery thing, where what Mab said is technically true but not actually an answer to Lara's question?

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: [PT Spoilers] Harry's Shield Color
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 03:06:57 AM »
Idk about drawing power, but it effects the aspect of his power. How his power manifests has changed a few times throughout the DF, early books it was associated with lightning for instance.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 03:34:42 AM »
I think it has implications beyond BG, myself.

It does signify his alliance with Demonreach (and it wouldn't surprise me if it was triggered by the use of the staff, or perhaps the repeated use of Demonreach's abilities). But he isn't exactly drawing on any new power source, either. In fact, I don't think he could unless he was physically on Demonreach itself (the island not Alfred of course). Alfred basically cannot act beyond the physical limits of the island (and to some degree the waters of Lake Michigan surrounding it).

But all deals and bargains have costs. And I doubt Harry has fully appreciated all of his yet.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 05:51:51 AM »

It does signify his alliance with Demonreach (and it wouldn't surprise me if it was triggered by the use of the staff, or perhaps the repeated use of Demonreach's abilities). But he isn't exactly drawing on any new power source, either. In fact, I don't think he could unless he was physically on Demonreach itself (the island not Alfred of course). Alfred basically cannot act beyond the physical limits of the island (and to some degree the waters of Lake Michigan surrounding it).

But all deals and bargains have costs. And I doubt Harry has fully appreciated all of his yet.

Soul power?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 07:50:25 AM »

But he can be spiritually influenced by the island when he is there and/or get some power when on the island. That probably shows up in his spirit and maybe even in a soul gaze. And it shows in expressions of his spiritual power, his shield.

If he takes a lot of power from the island under the right circumstances it might even take the form of a mantle.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 08:56:15 AM »
I think Mantle is end game stuff.. few reasons why, but one simple reason is Harry would be too big of a fish for his current pond with that.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 12:03:46 PM »
But he can be spiritually influenced by the island when he is there and/or get some power when on the island. That probably shows up in his spirit and maybe even in a soul gaze. And it shows in expressions of his spiritual power, his shield.

If he takes a lot of power from the island under the right circumstances it might even take the form of a mantle.
Agreed. This is what I was getting at but not putting into words effectively. Harry has been marked by Demonreach essentially.

Interesting idea. I wonder what responsibilities such a mantle might have...

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 02:39:05 PM »
Agreed. This is what I was getting at but not putting into words effectively. Harry has been marked by Demonreach essentially.

Interesting idea. I wonder what responsibilities such a mantle might have...
Locking up the powerful and dangerous monsters. But only those far above Harry's weight class of course.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 06:58:33 PM »

Earth and soulfire...