Author Topic: AMA Questions that might actually be answered (Gathering topic)  (Read 10440 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: AMA Questions that might actually be answered (Gathering topic)
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 06:34:25 AM »

Can you consciously control where a way you open will end up? Cowl+Peabody seem to be able to get to mildewland from pretty much anywhere (Murphy's front lawn, Edinburgh, the deeps etc).

Maybe something about the Darkhallow version of Changes and how it would have worked, need to think of wording.

1. Confirmed that who you are plays as much into opening a Way as where you are. Plus every wizard has a unique magic signature, Cowl and Peabody's are 'mildew'

2. Answered in a previously. Harry would have gone into the woods, killed a bunch of forest animals for life force, caused a natural disaster to get the power up. Can't find the quote though this is related

Quote from: jimbutcher
  How exactly would the version of Changes where Harry does the Darkhallow have gone afterwards? It seems like the kind of thing that would burn his bridges with absolutely everybody.

Answer:  Well, with the White Council for sure, and with a lot of human authorities. But if he'd become a friggin' necromancer, he would have found his allies among the dead and dead-adjacent, and things would have generally been a lot gothier. :)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 10:35:20 AM »
C'mon guys, we all know it's just gonna be more of the same questions he gets at literally every Panel, Interview, or AMA.

"So, what's the story behind how you came up with The Dresden Files?"

Offline Direwolf513

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2020, 01:39:35 PM »
Not likely he'd answer and would very possibly get offended, but I'd like to hear the details on how the publication of Peace Talks and Battleground was structured. No secret that there was a lot of dissatisfaction with Peace Talks and the $15 price tag for a soft copy of an incomplete book (setting aside any quality issues with the story itself). I don't think Jim Butcher is responsible for that element, but would be interested in his perspective on it.

Getting an honest answer is a pipe dream, though.

Good... bad... I'm the guy with the gun. -Ash

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 02:34:12 PM »
Not likely he'd answer and would very possibly get offended, but I'd like to hear the details on how the publication of Peace Talks and Battleground was structured. No secret that there was a lot of dissatisfaction with Peace Talks and the $15 price tag for a soft copy of an incomplete book (setting aside any quality issues with the story itself). I don't think Jim Butcher is responsible for that element, but would be interested in his perspective on it.

Yeah, for the sake of all of us it is best not to go there I think.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2020, 02:50:47 PM »
WTF is conjuritis, is it a deus ex machina? (Why Conjuritis, Why?)

Why doesn’t Chandler have a proper staff, does he not need one? (Stealth question only the most powerful wizards like Cowl, don’t need a foci)

Will Harry get to play Frogger with King Corb and the Munstermobile, and/or the Roadrunner? (Harry gets to make a video game reference).

Odin clearly has a rivalry with Ferrovax, as both Beowulf and Kringle he was a dragonslayer/tamer, was that also Ferrovax? Have they been every significant Dragonslayer/Dragon in history, and if so is it a genuine enmity or have they been running a long con with Ferrovax terrorising a village and Odin turning up to ‘slay’ the dragon and them splitting the rewards.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2020, 04:57:53 PM »
C'mon guys, we all know it's just gonna be more of the same questions he gets at literally every Panel, Interview, or AMA.

"So, what's the story behind how you came up with The Dresden Files?"
"Why Chicago?"

For me, a few questions I've wanted to ask.
At the end of Changes, if Harry had thought to throw a Death Curse, at anyone, how would it have changed Ghost Story?  Would there be a ghost to have a story about?

When you refer to a Big Apocalyptic Trilogy as a capstone, are you familiar with the original Greek meaning of Apocalypse?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 05:40:42 PM »
At the end of Changes, if Harry had thought to throw a Death Curse, at anyone, how would it have changed Ghost Story?  Would there be a ghost to have a story about?

I liked that. I still want a good answer to why Morgan did not use a Death Curse. Death Curses have been hinted as a Serious Thing,but we have seen very little of that so far (but perhaps that will change in BG. Eb's death curse can be devastating, perhaps even hurting a major player like a Titan. Chandler, Ramirez, the other wardens can make some waves too)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2020, 06:13:25 PM »

Why did he make Harry so very tall?

Offline MoroccoMole

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2020, 07:02:18 PM »
Why didn't Mother Winter give Harry a gift at Christmas?  Or did I/we miss it?
I like a man who grins when he fights.

~Winston Churchill On Enthusiasm~

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 07:45:43 PM »

Six years with no new income source.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2020, 08:00:51 PM »
5 (if you count books, but the short stories are not for free). I personally think that the price is fair for a JB book, but the quality of the book itself is not as good as always, apparently because many things the beta spotted where not changed in the final version (source: Priscellie in reddit)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2020, 10:18:01 PM »
5 (if you count books, but the short stories are not for free). I personally think that the price is fair for a JB book, but the quality of the book itself is not as good as always, apparently because many things the beta spotted where not changed in the final version (source: Priscellie in reddit)

And some of the short stories were more like sending us some crumbs, not satisfying at all.  The question might be why weren't those things changed if it would have made the book better?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2020, 10:34:35 PM »
I just meant that he received money for them. And in the post I've read from Priscellie, she said that she did not know what happened about the changes. I don't know if she said something else after that.
Missing you, Md 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2020, 10:44:33 PM »
It was not a comment about quality Dina. I will say that I think that a new reader coming on to this is going to feel shorted. Peace Talks doesn't resolve anything. There is no denouement.  To this point all the books had a resolution to the central conceit. Even a book as convoluted as Proven Guilty.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2020, 01:08:49 AM »
1. Confirmed that who you are plays as much into opening a Way as where you are. Plus every wizard has a unique magic signature, Cowl and Peabody's are 'mildew'
You misunderstand, I'm wondering why Cowl and Peabody seem to get to pick whether they go on the standard way or if they go to mildewland while Harry gets stuck with just wherever the place he's in normally connects to.
2. Answered in a previously. Harry would have gone into the woods, killed a bunch of forest animals for life force, caused a natural disaster to get the power up. Can't find the quote though this is related

Quote from: jimbutcher
  How exactly would the version of Changes where Harry does the Darkhallow have gone afterwards? It seems like the kind of thing that would burn his bridges with absolutely everybody.

Answer:  Well, with the White Council for sure, and with a lot of human authorities. But if he'd become a friggin' necromancer, he would have found his allies among the dead and dead-adjacent, and things would have generally been a lot gothier. :)
Well if I can get a second copy of that first bit it'd be good since that explains how he'd keep reader sympathy with the darkhallow version. Doesn't quite solve the second part where I was wondering who exactly would be showing up to drag Harry into cases when he's a bit too lazy to deal with anything that doesn't come to him so I think I'll still ask. And of course I know about that quote, I'm the one he was responding to. :P
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.