Author Topic: AMA Questions that might actually be answered (Gathering topic)  (Read 10574 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: AMA Questions that might actually be answered (Gathering topic)
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2020, 07:52:35 PM »
I understand your quote was an invention but it was suppose be a "commentary" about what Priscellie actually said, so I provided one actual quote to compare. She does not mention anyone. I have the feeling she is not shading Jim but Penguin, but the quote is open to interpretation...which was actually my point. Don't assume she is criticizing Jim.
I found another quote were she says "Oy, leave the betas out of the criticism of the rampant continuity errors. We pointed all that nonsense out. XD"

Edited: And here, this is worse
https://www.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/hxfg46/that_copper_circle/fzbya7l/?context=3
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 07:55:40 PM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2020, 08:06:36 PM »
1. Answered in the Paranet Papers RPG Booklet. At least partially, they managed to capture Gods from another tribe feed on them to boost their own power. Repeat across South America.

That's really the answer to a different question, though. That could be how they became a major power, but they had to exist before they could capture and feed on anything. So what were they before that?

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2020, 09:55:33 PM »
Perhaps Harry in book is deliberately dropping misinformation, not unlike the verbal games with Grey in SG, otherwise we have to assume that Jim is being lazy and petulant, not checking his wiki or accepting his beta readers points when they do. I don’t want to believe that.

The three biggies are:-

1. Forgetting Harry had physically been in the BFS before
2. Tunguska and the death of a Dragon
3. The fire in Notre Dame

I think alteration/removal of memory won’t affect 3, it an event that hasn’t happened in Harry time-line yet, as it suggests the fire took place before 2013/14, the other possibility is alteration of the time-line, but Michael and Charity still are married suggesting the last Dragon killed was by Michael and not Eb, ruling out 2. A temporal attack making sure Siriovax was killed at Tunguska meaning no meeting of Charity and Michael to ensure the current Winter Lady was never born would make sense. Conflicting time lines? Harry’s foresight getting confused because there will be an attempt to alter the time -line in the future and he is remembering more than one time-line?

Jim did say he might squeeze another book in the series and mentioned dragons as well to tie up his plot-lines, is it this he is dropping breadcrumbs for? A temporal attack on Harry’s best friend and his family?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2020, 11:00:05 PM »
Ok, this is my opinion about those three.

1- Real mistake or real time alteration
2-Harry was confused. It can happen, specially because I think he is writing all the books several years after the events took place, as a journal.
3-Same reason, he is writing now or several years from now, so Notre Dame is in his past but in the future of PT Harry.

I think 1 is the sort of things that JB has hinted as happening, probably because of Mirror Mirror or time travel shenanigans. The copper circle, inconsistencies in Morty descriptions (between GS and previous appearance, even the Brighter/Better future can be those. Problem is we don't know if they are honest mistakes or intentional ones. That is the problem with Beta's warnings not been heard, we don't know what happened.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Wrane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2020, 11:04:03 PM »
The two questions I would like answered will be given RAFO or ignored.
1)Demonreach, Chita Ibza, and WC headquarters are all on leylines.  It is generally accepted that they are upwellings of power. Are the leylines created by bleed off of practitioners or are some a natural source.
2) When do we get the Lea/ Cat Sith short story where they are aggressively musing Lewis Carol competing for a mantle to become the 2nd strongest in winter?   

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2020, 11:45:49 PM »
Perhaps Harry in book is deliberately dropping misinformation, not unlike the verbal games with Grey in SG, otherwise we have to assume that Jim is being lazy and petulant, not checking his wiki or accepting his beta readers points when they do. I don’t want to believe that.

The three biggies are:-

1. Forgetting Harry had physically been in the BFS before
2. Tunguska and the death of a Dragon
3. The fire in Notre Dame
It's his book not the beta readers.  The timeline as published isn't fixed.  Notre Dame could be a case of trying to slip the time stream of the books lest his pop culture references get stale.  His multiyear vacation didn't help him  either since his characters are aging.

Generally though, quality is off.  The audiobook is atrocious.  It's like he hit a deadline and had to shove it out the door ready or not.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2020, 01:13:06 AM »
“Hells Balls!”

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2020, 04:39:12 AM »
It's his book not the beta readers.  The timeline as published isn't fixed.  Notre Dame could be a case of trying to slip the time stream of the books lest his pop culture references get stale.  His multiyear vacation didn't help him  either since his characters are aging.

Generally though, quality is off.  The audiobook is atrocious.  It's like he hit a deadline and had to shove it out the door ready or not.

Like I said, burnout.  It can happen to any of us, but sorry, especially the short stories more like going through the motions.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2020, 07:45:34 AM »
about.
That's really the answer to a different question, though. That could be how they became a major power, but they had to exist before they could capture and feed on anything. So what were they before that?

I mean you could ponder how any supernatural creature began if you're wondering how Vampires came about  how did any other creature?

I think it's clear the Lords of Outer Night were just regular Red Court Vampires who fed on Gods.

Offline magical_liopleurodon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2020, 02:14:04 PM »
I understand your quote was an invention but it was suppose be a "commentary" about what Priscellie actually said, so I provided one actual quote to compare. She does not mention anyone. I have the feeling she is not shading Jim but Penguin, but the quote is open to interpretation...which was actually my point. Don't assume she is criticizing Jim.
I found another quote were she says "Oy, leave the betas out of the criticism of the rampant continuity errors. We pointed all that nonsense out. XD"

Edited: And here, this is worse
https://www.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/hxfg46/that_copper_circle/fzbya7l/?context=3

oh wow. Why wouldn't it have been fixed if it was caught?  ???

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2020, 02:48:34 PM »
oh wow. Why wouldn't it have been fixed if it was caught?  ???

If the manuscript hadn't been submitted to the publisher, one would think that it should have been fixed.  There are deadlines of course, now it it was too near one, he might night have been able to.  However having said that, one would think the Betas would also have a deadline upon which to submit their corrections to Jim so he could fix the errors.  Now a lot may depend on the creative process, for example what may seem like a simple factual error to us or even the Betas, might mean that Jim would have to rewrite a whole chapter, because fixing the error might mess up the whole.  But then again, none of that makes sense.. I go back to burn out with the series.

Offline magical_liopleurodon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2020, 03:23:05 PM »
  If the manuscript hadn't been submitted to the publisher, one would think that it should have been fixed.  There are deadlines of course, now it it was too near one, he might night have been able to.  However having said that, one would think the Betas would also have a deadline upon which to submit their corrections to Jim so he could fix the errors.  Now a lot may depend on the creative process, for example what may seem like a simple factual error to us or even the Betas, might mean that Jim would have to rewrite a whole chapter, because fixing the error might mess up the whole.  But then again, none of that makes sense.. I go back to burn out with the series.

20 years is a long time.

I'm envisioning a fan-fiction novel about the life of Jim Butcher where he goes on a quest to get his mojo back a la Austin Powers, which was stolen by Mister.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2020, 04:43:37 PM »
20 years is a long time.

I'm envisioning a fan-fiction novel about the life of Jim Butcher where he goes on a quest to get his mojo back a la Austin Powers, which was stolen by Mister.

Indeed it is, and some of these mistakes etc hints of going through the motions, instead of pleasing himself and by extension, us.  I think if stretching it out ultimately hurts the over all quality, time to edit.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2020, 05:11:44 AM »
I doubt it's burnout. It's probably a timing issue. If the decision to split the book was probably made fairly late in the process, that could have messed up the editing in a lot of ways.

The book doesn't feel like "burnout" to me, but that's totally IMO. It just feels less-professionally/less-well edited.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2020, 05:16:14 AM »
I feel the same, Vultur
Missing you, Md