Author Topic: Who called up the corner hounds and why didn't anyone notice...?  (Read 8908 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Who called up the corner hounds and why didn't anyone notice...?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2020, 09:45:21 PM »
In the Mirror Mirror Dresdenverse I could see Harry having to kill, or set up for someone else to kill, a Red Court Susan who has become far more powerful and dangerous than Bianca ever dreamed of being.  That could be a nod to both "City of Forever" and Mirror Mirror without being an exact copy of either.

Not, Mirror Mirror, because that episode had nothing to do with time travel.  It was a transporter malfunction that sent Kirk and company into an alternate universe, and their counterparts into the normal universe, personality wise, each character was totally opposite.  Only constant was Spock in both universes, he didn't go through the transporter, he figured out something was very wrong, and he had integrity in both universes.  Our Kirk in the alternate universe suggests that after things get set straight again, that Spock needed to kill his Kirk.. 

Another good time travel episode was  Yesterday's Enterprise, from Star Trek Next Gen.  The tear in the universe is created and Picard and company investigate, in the process they see the Enterprise from twenty years or so before come through, and everything changes, the Federation is at war with the Kingons and they are losing.  Also showing up as head of security is Tasha Yar, who is supposed to be dead..  Apparently there was a battle that the Enterprise was supposed to be blown up in, didn't it got sent through the tear and as a result, all of history was changed.  So they figure it out, Tasha Yar realizes she is supposed to be dead, asks for and is granted a transfer to the old Enterprise, they go back through the tear, are successful and everything is restored.. One of my all time favorite episodes on a number of levels from music to acting and story...

Then instead of leaving well enough alone, they just had to screw it up....  Tasha Yar survived and married a Romulan and they had a baby girl, Denise Crosby.... >:(   

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2020, 05:56:14 AM »
There is nothing alluded to in Christmas Eve at all about anything regarding Mirror, Mirror, and it would be a poor time with far to many heavy hitters able to sense this in one place.

Yeah, I'd expect Mirror Mirror to be roughly a year after BG as usual, after "Christmas Eve".

PT/BG were originally planned to be one book, so that's why they're happening in the same timeframe.

While Changes/GS/CD had an unusual timeline, I'd expect the roughly one year per book timeline to be consistent going forwards.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2020, 11:21:10 PM »
I would guess the following Halloween, 15 months after BG. The wall between the world and the Never Never thin, you can kill immortals, so why not the walls between worlds also thin?

Having it on Halloween would also mean time pressure, a big component of the book, Harry would have to figure out his return before Halloween ends.

Offline psuedonym

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2020, 09:30:06 AM »
Hi, i dont do much posting here and im not sure if this will show on the thread i want it to but if the hounds are attracted by time travel, doesn't Chandler specialize in time magic? And he was in Chicago the next night, mabey he sent them back 1 night to attack harry not knowing eb would be there.
If chandler specializes in time magic (a point made in text in PT) then maybe corner hounds are the easiest outsider for him too summon?

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2020, 06:13:57 PM »
Hi, i dont do much posting here and im not sure if this will show on the thread i want it to but if the hounds are attracted by time travel, doesn't Chandler specialize in time magic? And he was in Chicago the next night, mabey he sent them back 1 night to attack harry not knowing eb would be there.
If chandler specializes in time magic (a point made in text in PT) then maybe corner hounds are the easiest outsider for him too summon?
Good point. He came up in another thread about Peabody's partner on Demonreach in Turn Coat.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2020, 02:31:36 PM »

I think we may be putting too much into the Hounds and time travel.  They were sent by somebody apparently to attack Harry, I doubt that time travel had anything to do with it.

Offline Hagbard Celine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2020, 05:31:09 AM »
I think the Time Travel is key because why else call the hounds that specific name?  If Jim just wanted to throw a demon doggy at Harry and Eb it could have been anything.

One thing that I noticed during the Hounds fight is that twice Eb says that "concentrated fire works best" and Harry doesn't even try to use fire?  I think the only fire he casts is flickum bickus.
Never Whistle While You're Pissing!

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2020, 11:53:41 AM »
I think it is important that Harry to Butters called then the Hounds of Tindalos its from there the time travel connection was made, not from Eb, who merely called the corner hounds without really elucidating further. They clearly were pursuing Eb, so Harry has to surmise that Eb has time travelled

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2020, 12:52:35 PM »
One thing that I noticed during the Hounds fight is that twice Eb says that "concentrated fire works best" and Harry doesn't even try to use fire?  I think the only fire he casts is flickum bickus.

That is interesting since Harry has always been the king of KABOOM, when it comes to fire magic.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2020, 01:53:56 PM »
Real fire hurts Outsiders not magical fire, when he took on He Who Walks Like an Egyptian Harry blew up a gas station.

A Flame Thrower is the mortal weapon of choice against Outsiders, or a nuclear bomb.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2020, 03:03:15 PM »
Real fire hurts Outsiders not magical fire, when he took on He Who Walks Like an Egyptian Harry blew up a gas station.

A Flame Thrower is the mortal weapon of choice against Outsiders, or a nuclear bomb.

Um, the fires that Harry set off with his KABOOM were very real..  The gas station fire was set off by Harry's magic, he didn't use a match or a flame thrower.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »
I think it is important that Harry to Butters called then the Hounds of Tindalos its from there the time travel connection was made, not from Eb, who merely called the corner hounds without really elucidating further. They clearly were pursuing Eb, so Harry has to surmise that Eb has time travelled

I feel the idea that Eb mind-whammied Thomas to try and "free" Harry of the White Court and Svartalves is weak writing with how the book was written- but I think it's plausible because of the ruckus Eb raised when he essentially pushed his way in to visit Harry. It seemed out of character for him. He attracted the attention of the security force, and had *lots* of witnesses that he was nowhere near Thomas at the time- and obviously he can't be in two places at once. Except he can, if he time travels. And he conveniently has a starborn to help him cope with the major reason not to do a very short time jump- the corner hounds.

Offline CrusherJen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2020, 05:44:52 PM »
Um, the fires that Harry set off with his KABOOM were very real..  The gas station fire was set off by Harry's magic, he didn't use a match or a flame thrower.

The fires were sparked by magic, but the burning gasoline fire itself would, I think, qualify as natural flame, just as the gas circle in the garage was sparked via Harry's spell but still affected the Hounds as natural flame.

So, if Eb is to be believed, the Hounds can avoid most of anything based on Willpower (magic), but suffer more damage via natural processes, without a Will shaping them.
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."   --from Blood Rites

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2020, 08:46:44 PM »
Not just concentrated fire. Harry's learned in past books that soulfire is particularly effective against outsiders, but he doesn't think to ask about it or try it.

Offline Hagbard Celine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2020, 10:57:18 PM »

But in this very fight, we see Eb use magical fire like a thin laser and slice off parts of the outsiders.   
Never Whistle While You're Pissing!