Author Topic: Why Didn't Justine Just Abort?  (Read 9681 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Why Didn't Justine Just Abort?
« on: August 03, 2020, 01:10:01 PM »

I realize this is skating on very thin touchy topics thin ice here, but it is an important question. If her life is in that much danger from the Hunger, why doesn't Justine abort the pregancy?  Why didn't Thomas insist on it to save her life?  Or is there something about the embryo Hunger that makes an abortion medically impossible?  Or is there something else going on,like a possible power struggle among those in the White Court that depends on a viable pregnancy? Thomas must of talked to Lara about it, is that why she talked to Mab about cashing in on favors owed?   

Something weird is going on here.  Thomas told Harry in effect that White Court Vamps for all intents and purposes are sterile, or "all but sterile" as he put it. He and Justine still used birth control in spite of that, yet she still got pregnant. The pregnancy threatens Justine's life,big time,but there is no move to end it. Yeah,to end it would be heart breaking for both of them, but would Thomas's heart be less broken if he loses Justine? Are they banking on the fact that because this baby was the result of their true love, the Hunger might just burn itself out? If they are, Thomas didn't say anything to Harry about that hope.

Going a couple of steps back, what if the pregnancy itself was a set up?  Has someone pulled supernatural strings to make it possible in the first place, setting off this whole chain of events?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:15:55 PM by Mira »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Why Didn't Justine Just Abort?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 01:14:56 PM »

I realize this is skating on very thin touchy topics thin ice here, but it is an important question. If her life is in that much danger from the Hunger, why doesn't Justine abort the pregancy?  Why didn't Thomas insist on it to save her life?  Or is there something about the embryo Hunger that makes an abortion medically impossible?  Or is there something else going on,like a possible power struggle among those in the White Court that depends on a viable pregnancy? Thomas must of talked to Lara about it, is that why she talked to Mab about cashing in on favors owed?   

Something weird is going on here.  Thomas told Harry in effect that White Court Vamps for all intents a purposes are sterile, or "all but sterile" as he put it. He and Justine still used birth control in spite of that, yet she still got pregnant. The pregnancy threatens Justine's life,big time,but there is no move to end it. Yeah,to end it would be heart breaking for both of them, but would Thomas's heart be less broken if he loses Justine?

Going a couple of steps back, what if the pregnancy itself was a set up?  Has someone pulled supernatural strings to make it possible in the first place, setting off this whole chain of events?
Maybe the hunger would resist an abortion? It could be dangerous for the mother and the hospital staff.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 01:19:46 PM »
Maybe the hunger would resist an abortion? It could be dangerous for the mother and the hospital staff.

Yet, nothing is said about that either way.  What is weird also is how clueless Harry is when Thomas tells him in the first place.  Instead of questioning him on whether or not he and Justine considered ending the pregnancy, Harry talks about how Thomas will be great as a father...

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 01:55:54 PM »
  Yet, nothing is said about that either way.  What is weird also is how clueless Harry is when Thomas tells him in the first place.  Instead of questioning him on whether or not he and Justine considered ending the pregnancy, Harry talks about how Thomas will be great as a father...
Harry's reaction is understandable. I would be very reluctant to ask about abortion when someone tells me his wife is pregnant. I assume that if someone tells me they already have decided to keep the child and then starting about abortion would be wrong on so many levels.

We do not know what Thomas and Justine brought to their decision but those decisions are seldom completely rational anyway.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 02:25:00 PM »
The White Court probably frown on abortion, their reproduction rate is tiny, so any child, especially from the main Raith line is precious.Lara obviously didn’t know. Thomas may have been asking for asylum for him, Justine and the baby to get out the White Courts clutches from Etri when the incident occurred, whether Eb, or Evanna or someone else turned it into an attack.

Swartalves are logical, but could this be as simple as a scorned lover, and poor timing “hello Evanna, I am bringing my girlfriend who is having my baby to live here under Asylum/Guest Right? Don’t worry it won’t affect our arrangement, I still need to feed” “Thomas, you are now under my influence, here’s a bomb, set it off near my brother and he will never give you Guest Right/Asylum, and he will likely have you killed as well, you swine.

Justine was nearly devoured once in her entirety by Thomas hunger, it took her years to recover, the baby’s hunger has to be a significant risk.

Just listening to the audiobook Eb ‘do you know what these hosts of yours are capable of” Eb is very prejudiced about the Swartalves. This is the conversation about Maggie.

Harry himself is full of being a full time father, so of course he assumes Thomas wants to be as well, projection.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 02:36:47 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 02:47:10 PM »
Harry's reaction is understandable. I would be very reluctant to ask about abortion when someone tells me his wife is pregnant. I assume that if someone tells me they already have decided to keep the child and then starting about abortion would be wrong on so many levels.

We do not know what Thomas and Justine brought to their decision but those decisions are seldom completely rational anyway.

Suddenly in the middle of this conversation, enter Carlos and up and coming talks and him wanting Harry on security detail.  Great misdirection because the conversation about the decision never comes up.  Perhaps Harry wouldn't ask, "have you considered aborting?"  At the same time Harry never asked if there is any way to keep the mother safe? Or never got the chance.  I still think this has everything to do with the wheel dealing that went on off page between Mab and Lara.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 02:52:31 PM »
Suddenly in the middle of this conversation, enter Carlos and up and coming talks and him wanting Harry on security detail.  Great misdirection because the conversation about the decision never comes up.  Perhaps Harry wouldn't ask, "have you considered aborting?"  At the same time Harry never asked if there is any way to keep the mother safe? Or never got the chance.  I still think this has everything to do with the wheel dealing that went on off page between Mab and Lara.
Except Lara didn't know about the baby.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 04:05:10 PM »
Except Lara didn't know about the baby.

You don't know that for sure, I am not sure she is telling the truth here, especially if it is related at all to the current events.  Lara needs plausible deniability..  Also logically if Justine is in that much danger from the embryo Hunger, who is Thomas going to consult first?  His brother, who is a powerful wizard but hardly an expert on gestating White Court Hunger demons?  Or his sister, who has been around a lot longer than both of them and seen a lot of pregnancies of this nature including Margaret Lefay?  Thomas admitted to doing a bit of research on the subject.  Just connecting the dots, I think it is all related.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 04:13:33 PM by Mira »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 04:41:04 PM »
You don't know that for sure, I am not sure she is telling the truth here, especially if it is related at all to the current events.  Lara needs plausible deniability..  Also logically if Justine is in that much danger from the embryo Hunger, who is Thomas going to consult first?  His brother, who is a powerful wizard but hardly an expert on gestating White Court Hunger demons?  Or his sister, who has been around a lot longer than both of them and seen a lot of pregnancies of this nature including Margaret Lefay?  Thomas admitted to doing a bit of research on the subject.  Just connecting the dots, I think it is all related.
He trusts his brother more than his sister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 04:44:26 PM »
He trusts his brother more than his sister.

Maybe, but the Thomas at the end of Turn Coat trusted his sister a lot more than his brother on matters concerning White Court Vamps.  Remember their talk in the zoo? 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 04:56:01 PM »
His brother is a parent, Lara isn’t although except perhaps to Thomas.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 05:45:29 PM »
Maybe, but the Thomas at the end of Turn Coat trusted his sister a lot more than his brother on matters concerning White Court Vamps.  Remember their talk in the zoo?
That was actually a big sign saying "Here is something wrong"
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 06:39:55 PM »
His brother is a parent, Lara isn’t although except perhaps to Thomas.

But she has witnessed at least one human, be it a wizard giving birth to a vamp baby.. Margaret.  So did she survive because she was a wizard?  Or was it something else that was done? What happened to the little sister's mom?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 06:50:48 PM »
But she has witnessed at least one human, be it a wizard giving birth to a vamp baby.. Margaret.  So did she survive because she was a wizard?  Or was it something else that was done? What happened to the little sister's mom?
Being a wizard should help. She just had a bigger tank than the average human.
SH[Elaine+++]

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 07:25:02 PM »
I suspect Lord Raith didn’t care about the mothers, so long as the child survived and was a girl that was all he cared about.