Author Topic: [PT Spoilers] Why does Ferrovax care?  (Read 5365 times)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: [PT Spoilers] Why does Ferrovax care?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 12:58:59 AM »
Because he's old and old people don't like change.

But wouldn't that apply to signing on to the Accords in the first place? I think they're very new on Ferro's timescale.

Because despite the fact that he's old and powerful, he *is* capable of dying.

If he is (and Ferrovax might very well be a true Immortal), to me that would be more of an argument Not To Get Involved. Why sign on to Accords that might obligate him to get into fights like this one? Why risk himself for something like this?

I mean, Ferrovax is implicitly geologically old. He's seen many civilizations rise and fall.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 04:07:09 AM »
But wouldn't that apply to signing on to the Accords in the first place? I think they're very new on Ferro's timescale.

If he is (and Ferrovax might very well be a true Immortal), to me that would be more of an argument Not To Get Involved. Why sign on to Accords that might obligate him to get into fights like this one? Why risk himself for something like this?

I mean, Ferrovax is implicitly geologically old. He's seen many civilizations rise and fall.
Ferro's an elder Dragon, but Siriothrax was his contemporary and he died a few dozen years ago. The same rules should apply to him as they did for the one that Michael slew.  So if Butters thinks Ferro has it coming, and the Sword agrees...

In short, if he's immortal, and Uber powerful, then there's no reason for him to want things to change, because there's nothing to gain, and everything to lose.  It's pretty common to see those that gain power settle down and try to hold on to it through peace.

It's those that don't have power, or lost power, that are more likely to want to see the world burn.  Them and Harry.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 05:33:45 AM »
Maybe, but I thought the Dragons (like most gods) were basically 'retired'. Even Odin describes himself as "mostly retired" and he seems far more active than most.
Permanent retirement is more of a mortal thing, though.  I think extended vacation is a more apt metaphor.  Maybe the job description changes in the meantime, but power in the DV is almost always linked with limitations and responsibility.

I don't see how. Too many of the supernatural beings are dependent on humans in one way or another, so they wouldn't wipe out humanity. And mortals couldn't definitively 'win', as too many  beings are either Immortal or can retreat to the Nevernever.
Humans are not really necessary for the Fomor.  They might actually be strong enough to take down humanity if they play it smart.  They already seem comfortable enough with mortal weapons like the nerve gas the rampires got from them.

Apparently he does. I'm just not really sure why. It seems kind of weird to me... I mean, they're specifically Mab's Accords, which means they must be a new innovation on Ferrovax's timescale (Mab is relatively young as immortals go - she's younger than Nicodemus).

I'd kind of expect an ancient force of nature to resent some new set of rules that constrain him to deal as basically an equal with wizards and vampires and ghouls and other beings that are comparative gnats... I mean he seems pretty disdainful of humanity in GP.

Not really, the Midgard Serpent is Thor's fated foe, not Odin's. (Odin's is Fenrir.)
The Accords also keep other people out of Ferro's hair, likely without changing much about his daily life.  Sounds like a sweet deal if you mostly want to be left alone and go out to no-name masquerade parties when the whim hits you.  If other people suddenly also have to follow the rules that you basically abided by before, the Accords are a net win.

As a side-note, why is someone of Ferro's scale attending Bianca's ball at all?  If I send a birthday party invitation to the queen of England, I don't expect her to actually show up.  Does he just like gold that much?
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 06:10:06 AM »
As a side-note, why is someone of Ferro's scale attending Bianca's ball at all?  If I send a birthday party invitation to the queen of England, I don't expect her to actually show up.  Does he just like gold that much?
He probably had a feeling something important was going to happen and he wanted to see it.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 06:22:11 AM »
He probably had a feeling something important was going to happen and he wanted to see it.
I guess, but "had a feeling" is pretty convenient.  It would be nice if there were more to it than that.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 06:52:12 AM »
I guess, but "had a feeling" is pretty convenient.  It would be nice if there were more to it than that.
Foresight is several times mentioned in combination with wizards, intellectus is a well known property of immortals and they all have all kinds of sources of information. As Harry said to Kringle "I just going to assume you know everything I do"

He just knew. He is magical heavyweight enough to do so.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2020, 07:11:24 AM »
Foresight is several times mentioned in combination with wizards, intellectus is a well known property of immortals and they all have all kinds of sources of information. As Harry said to Kringle "I just going to assume you know everything I do"

He just knew. He is magical heavyweight enough to do so.
Information networks is a hallmark of the main players, but Ferro doesn't seem to have his hands in all sorts of pies like Odin or Mab.  I'd buy they guessed something important was going on no problem, but Ferro is a harder sell.  You're likely correct, though.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2020, 10:55:46 AM »
Information networks is a hallmark of the main players, but Ferro doesn't seem to have his hands in all sorts of pies like Odin or Mab.  I'd buy they guessed something important was going on no problem, but Ferro is a harder sell.  You're likely correct, though.
Our idea about who is involved might not be always right because it is based on Harry’s impressions and these are rather Chicago centered.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2020, 11:57:25 AM »

This. My current hunch is that Ferrovax's presence can be taken as a harbinger of doom.

In Grave Peril, he watched the corruption of Winter, which started with Lea accepting the athame; he watched the onset of a war that would decimate the White Council of Wizards and end the Red Court of Vampires; he almost got to see a Sword of the Cross "unmade"; and he almost got to see Mavra sacrifice of a practitioner with Cassandra's Tears after weeks of preparatory work weakening the Veil.

We still have no idea what that was supposed to accomplish, when it was the whole point of 90% of the work the bad guys did in the book. Bianca and/or Mavra got greedy and tried to introduce the Sword to the ritual, at the last minute, and turned the whole thing into a debacle. (Was that *why* Lea brought the Sword? She made a bargain that got her more power (unfortunately, tainted power) and ended up wrecking Mavra's little ritual at the same time -- how very like a fairy bargain!)

Theory: Mavra and Cowl were doing necromancy experiments, trying to redevelop Kemmler's breakthrough. If Harry hadn't been there to disrupt things, they would have pulled Lydia's ghost through the veil and eaten it -- and perhaps managed to siphon through the ghosts of the human victims of the vampire feast as well. It was a test of the soul-siphon effect that goes critical in a darkhallow. Dead Beat was the result when Grevane almost got his hands on the Word and Cowl had to move up his timeline.