Poll

Who is going to die in Battle Ground?

Other (Specify in the thread to have them added)
2 (0.8%)
Harry
1 (0.4%)
Murphy
24 (9.3%)
Thomas
2 (0.8%)
Butters
1 (0.4%)
Sanya
3 (1.2%)
Andi
5 (1.9%)
Marci
8 (3.1%)
Eb
31 (12%)
Listens to Wind
20 (7.8%)
Martha
10 (3.9%)
Cristos
3 (1.2%)
Arthur
2 (0.8%)
Rashid
2 (0.8%)
Ancient Mai
1 (0.4%)
Luccio
5 (1.9%)
Carlos
10 (3.9%)
Wild Bill
11 (4.3%)
Chandler
7 (2.7%)
Yoshimo
8 (3.1%)
Etri
5 (1.9%)
Evanna
6 (2.3%)
Lara
1 (0.4%)
Mac
2 (0.8%)
River Shoulders
4 (1.6%)
Sarissa
0 (0%)
Fix
9 (3.5%)
Ivy
1 (0.4%)
Kincaide
4 (1.6%)
Bob
0 (0%)
Bonnie
0 (0%)
Billy
5 (1.9%)
Georgia
4 (1.6%)
Marcone
0 (0%)
Hendricks
6 (2.3%)
Gard
3 (1.2%)
Goodman
1 (0.4%)
Freydis
6 (2.3%)
Riley
3 (1.2%)
Mike the Mechanic
1 (0.4%)
Artemis Bock
1 (0.4%)
Nick Cristian
1 (0.4%)
Sonar Vadderung
3 (1.2%)
Ferrovax
0 (0%)
Father Forthill
3 (1.2%)
Justine
6 (2.3%)
Sir Stuart Winchester (deader)
0 (0%)
Mortimer Lindquist
2 (0.8%)
Elaine
0 (0%)
Irwin Pounder
1 (0.4%)
Inari Raith
1 (0.4%)
Rawlins
4 (1.6%)
Stallings
5 (1.9%)
Rudolph
10 (3.9%)
Bradley
0 (0%)
Tilly
1 (0.4%)
Toot-Toot
2 (0.8%)
Lacuna
0 (0%)
Uriel
0 (0%)
Tera West
0 (0%)
Erlking
1 (0.4%)
Titania
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Battle Ground Casualties [Peace Talks Spoilers]  (Read 14680 times)

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Battle Ground Casualties [Peace Talks Spoilers]
« on: July 23, 2020, 10:55:35 PM »
Who does everyone think will die in Battle Ground?  Select as many as you'd like.  I've kept it narrowed to good-ish guys, because I'm focusing on who we think Harry is missing and mourning in Christmas Eve. If you can think of any other good-ish guys that aren't listed and aren't known to be alive in Christmas Eve and are in Chicago or might show up, let me know and I'll add them.  I don't list the Carpenters because the mood in CE would have been very different if they'd lost someone.

Offline ElJefe81

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Ground Casualties [Peace Talks Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 12:17:37 AM »
Great topic!  Despite the Christmas Eve story indicating a huge number of deaths, I think Battleground will wind up being comparable to the Battle of Winterfell in GoT--a few key characters and lots and lots of unnamed going to their deaths.

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 12:40:35 AM »
Not listed, though probably a gimme is "The Masquerade."

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 03:35:57 AM »
One "other" vote for Titania.

I'm picturing her taking a shot at Mab and it doesn't go well.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 03:55:34 AM »
Actually I think they will make up, if only to berate Harry, they will be so both annoyed by him that they forget their animosity. As Harry says “it’s a gift”

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 07:02:03 AM »
I honestly don't know who to pick. There are a few I suspect are almost certain... but I'm not sure of others. So, here's a few, and what I think will happen to them.

Ebenezer: His lack of control is very unusual, and he has done several suspicious things in Peace talks. My guess is that he is Nemfected. Harry will likely realize this at some point, and the two will fight about it or Harry will get the jump on him. Why? Because this makes more trouble for Harry, and not just in a personal fashion. The Council wouldn't be happy about it. Eb is also "The Mentor" to Harry, and should probably be bowing out of the story soon.

Murphy: Her death is almost too foreshadowed to be real. But, I personally lean towards the Valkyrie or Einherjar theory. I hope - but am not confident - that we'll get a scene with others of the Murphy clan before this happens. A lot of them work in law enforcement, after all. And, it would be nice to see Mama Murphy again before her little girl gets supernaturalified. *shrug*

But, those are the obvious two. Others... hmm...

Rudolph: I'm REALLY looking forward to where this goes. His comeuppance has been building for seventeen books. Granted, I can sympathize with the fear of being a vanilla being leveraged by superpowered beings that society tells us don't exist. I don't know what will happen, but I'm curious to see how Jim will spin things.

We'll probably lose a couple guys from SI and the Wardens as well. Who, though, is the question. I feel like Ramirez has a ways to go story-wise. Unless we get a dying "I'm sorry" from him to Harry. Chandler... I'm almost CERTAIN knows about Nemesis. He is stated in Changes to be one of the most trusted wardens in the council, playing guard to - and even preparing the food of - the Senior Council and Captain of the Wardens themselves. The others, though... As much as Bill and Yoshimo pop up here and there... they don't do much. I could see them being used as sympathetic red shirts in the battle. Same with a number of the guys from SI, and maybe Rick(Murphy's ex who married her younger sister) too.

Mac... maybe. I see him coming off the bench, but not dying. There is that old story involving Balor, Ethniu, Lea(in some tellings), and a man named Mac Kineely.

Cristos... probably? He's supposedly made a good showing as a warden. But, he isn't true Senior Council material. He is also suspected Black council(Nemfected?). Which... brings up another thought. This battle is an EXCELENT place for the Adversary to make moves. The good guys are going to need to be VERY careful about getting stabbed in the back.

I... think I'll leave it there for now. This is getting a little long.
Cookies are awesome. Join the Dark Side.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 07:39:00 AM »
Great topic!  Despite the Christmas Eve story indicating a huge number of deaths, I think Battleground will wind up being comparable to the Battle of Winterfell in GoT--a few key characters and lots and lots of unnamed going to their deaths.
As long as it doesn't have large chunks of the text blacked out and end with say, Ramirez resolving everything while Harry is off shouting at something ineffectually.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 08:39:06 AM »
Sarissa is not going to die, she is alive by Christmas Eve (she convinced Mab to gave Maggie the ring). And of course, Vaderung is there too.

Also  WoJ about a character who is not going to die.
(click to show/hide)

I voted several people but I did not vote Murph because I believe even if she dies she will be still around someway or another.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 08:42:14 AM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 09:41:44 AM »
Yes that character would work well for a series short stories and Novellas in the Dresdenverse a palate cleanser between novels, which could either be written just for fun, or for a collection without giving anything away of the BAT.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 09:44:56 AM »
I like all what you said in the spoiler and I happen to love that particular character, so I would read the short stories and probably anything. Still
(click to show/hide)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 12:07:08 PM »

From the pain that Harry feels in Christmas Eve, the kindness that both Kringle and even Mab show him, Harry's world has been turned totally upside down.  He still has little Maggie, the Carpenters, but I think he is going to lose just about everyone else.  From Murphy to Eb, Thomas may still more or less be alive but cannot be freed.  I think Battle Ground is actually going to finish what Changes began.  Changes sort of severed Harry from his old life, his beloved basement apartment, the Blue Beetle, he has become a father, he agreed to be Winter Knight.. Battle Ground is going to sever his ties with most of the go to people he has known and depended upon. 

Offline ElJefe81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 06:31:42 PM »
I think Billy and Georgia are likely culprits to go.  They fit the bill (npi) of characters that Harry would feel devastated about losing but who haven't really been integral parts of the story as of late.  I think Murphy is going to be safe (from being killed off), because overly obvious foreshadowing aside, Christmas Eve tells us that Harry saved the day by getting different parties to back down, which would indicate he's thinking rationally.  Murphy dying would likely involve a lot more buildings burning to the ground.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 06:38:06 PM »
I think Billy and Georgia are likely culprits to go. 
God, I hope no. At least not both of them. It would be like The Battle of Hogwarts, when I was more or less calm because Tonks was the baby...and then she appeared in the battle. It broke my heart. So I hope one of them remains with their children.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 07:31:28 PM »
I think Billy and Georgia are likely culprits to go.  They fit the bill (npi) of characters that Harry would feel devastated about losing but who haven't really been integral parts of the story as of late.  I think Murphy is going to be safe (from being killed off), because overly obvious foreshadowing aside, Christmas Eve tells us that Harry saved the day by getting different parties to back down, which would indicate he's thinking rationally.  Murphy dying would likely involve a lot more buildings burning to the ground.

You're assuming he'd lose it, you could be right.. But then again it could be the Titan's last shot before he binds her, or he may not even know she is dead till it is all over..  It could be that her death is the last straw for him so he does try desperately to stop any more blood shed.. 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 07:53:14 PM »
I doubt Murphy is going to die off page. She could die, and Harry "get's in everyone's face" in the wrap up chapter which often takes place a few days after all the action. This way Harry could have enough time to calm down enough to not just light everything on fire but still be in an emotional state where he derides the assembled White Council who is about to vote on expelling him or whoever it whose face he get's in with likely similarly severe consequences.